Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Lancing College Chapel

Lancing

in the county of West Sussex

Westerdale ford. North Yorkshire Moors.

Westerdale

in the county of North Yorkshire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Please help identify property in Photo

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 14 Next >

poePremier Member - Click for more info
poe
quotePosted at 13:23 on 11th February 2011

A new member has asked us to post this photo in the hope of finding out the location of the property and if the property still exists. If any members can help it would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.

Click here for enlarged version (opens in new window)

Many thanks

Chris & Sarah

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 14:25 on 11th February 2011
I  would have thought there's a good chance it still exists as I'd think it's a Grade II Listed building at least. The windows suggest it's a Georgian period building at the latest; possibly earlier.

Edited by: Paul Hilton at:11th February 2011 14:34
cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 14:34 on 11th February 2011
I wonder if the member has any clue about the person in the picture - where they were born/grew up/lived/died - even if it is only the county?
Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 14:38 on 11th February 2011
On 11th February 2011 14:34, cathyml wrote:
I wonder if the member has any clue about the person in the picture - where they were born/grew up/lived/died - even if it is only the county?

Typically, the sort of things that come up researching family history when you discover an old photo. If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say it was taken 1930s/40s period.
Toby Craig
Toby Craig
quotePosted at 01:22 on 12th February 2011

I agree with Cathyml, just about any further info however small, would be a great help. My own immediate thoughts are that this is possibly the rear of the building because of the grass. I feel that there would have least been a path to the door had this been the front. Also, I do not think this building is a "single family" dwelling. Judging by the number of open windows, this building is in use by a large number of people seeking fresh air, either a convalescent or retirement home or even a small private hopital. The man is possibly a visitor as he is smoking a cigarette and I think he is more likely to be a city/town dweller because of this. Also, the dogs look pleased to see him as though he or they are visiting.  The other clue which may prove of worth is the heraldic shield on the building. Someone with knowledge of these plaques may be able to pinpoint the county or similar info.

Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 02:04 on 12th February 2011

Maybe a private school? That seems like an awful large entrance, not a regular doorway. 

I was wondering about the heraldic shield as well. Is that a date at the top? No, looks like three digits and not four. 

I'm terribly intrigues now.  

cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 06:27 on 12th February 2011

My first reaction was that it looked like a priory type building so I had a look at a few on POE.  Michelham Priory & Gardens has a similar sort of "look" to the stone building and window mouldings (but the window panes are not the same and the buildings have a different lay out).  I like the thought of an old school Sue, perhaps attached or owned by an Abbey/Priory originially but not necessarily one any more.  It looks as though it could have been a basic E shaped building, extended probably over a long period of time.  

Mike I think he is standing in the "roadway". Close to the building  there are narrow areas with climbers and bushes and there seems to be grass growing between these beds (behind the man). If that is correct the roadway is quite wide.

This is just working on a hunch!

Joanna Weaver
Joanna Weaver
quotePosted at 08:11 on 12th February 2011
On 11th February 2011 14:34, cathyml wrote:

Good Morning everyone that you so much for you interest and help. I should know so much more. My family on grandmother's side where huge in the Church. Names Wheeler, Owen snow.

My Grandmother Clytie Weaver nee Wheeler had a sister called Eira De Beauvis nee Wheeler she married a Vicar De Beauvais and lived in Boardstone Dorset. It was Eira father in Law who was very big in the church and there was someone I beleive in the family too by the name Rev Canon who had a church in London also in the Church. I leant an old News paper to someone who was going to help on the Death of Rev Canon (and they died and I never got the paper back)! the funeral of Rev Canon was big with a flag drapped over the coffin pulled by a horse and cart on the front page of the paper. This Property is I belive in the Country possibly the West Country and could be owned and lived in by the family of Eira father in-law. Could this be a Rectory? As they were massive years ago. But yes, this picture probably was taken around the 1930's/40's. I believe Eira's father in-law was Rev Frank De Beauvais. The family is a famous family as I was always told came directly way back and was related to Noah’s Ark whom came over to England from France. The De Beauvais name is an old name of a place in France the family were mostly all in the Church for generations. Does anyone know what the Coat of Arms stands for above the entrance of this House it is difficult to see? Not sure which County this property is but have tried to give the best clues I have but I think it is in the South. Anymore info would be much apprecaited and on the family history if anyone one can help/ Many thanks Joanna

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 08:38 on 12th February 2011

I think this is the front of the house for what its worth. The reason being the door bell pull to the right of the entrance, or doorway. And surely the Coat of Arms would be at the front also?

I agree with a lot of what Toby has suggested, except I reckon thats a road not grass!

The excitement continues...

Joanna Weaver
Joanna Weaver
quotePosted at 09:08 on 12th February 2011
If you google the name Noah's Ark and De Beauvais you will see information of the two names of how they are connected.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 14 Next >