Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Aldwych

Westminster

in the county of Greater London

Stained Glass in Arundel Cathedral

Arundel

in the county of West Sussex

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Please help identify property in Photo

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 10:34 on 13th February 2011

Thank you members for helping Joanna as well as CathyML for explaining how it all works.

If you still don't understand Joanna don't be afraid to keep coming back with the questions, as CathyML says, you will soon find your way about.

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 10:35 on 13th February 2011

Hudson Beauvais was lodging at 4 Brunswick Terrace, Quay Road, Bridlington in 1891.  He was 75, a widower and living on his own means. His death was registered in the March quarter of 1896 in Bridlington and he was aged 80.

In 1881 Sarah Beauvais (Francis Ceasar's mother?) was visiting at 13 Terrace, Stretford, Lancashire (registration district Barton upon Irwell).  She gives her age as 32 (born 1849 Australia, British subject) and says she is a Widow and Annuitant.  

This might be coincidental but there is a marriage of a Sarah Ellis (Sarah Beauvais maiden name was Ellis) to Frank Newcome in Jun 1881 Barton upon Irwell. (Bearing in mind that in the divorce Sarah & Newcome are named!)

cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 11:41 on 13th February 2011

Following on a bit more with Francis' mother:

in 1891 living at Ermine Street, Wilsford, Lincolnshire, are Sarah Newcombe aged 42 born 1849 Tasmania,  and Frank Newcome aged 36 born 1855 Newcastle, MRCS & LSA Registrar and General Practioner and Robert ? Beauvais aged 21 born 1870 Bridlington, stepson, and medical student.

in 1901 at Private House Wilsford, Lincolnshire Frank Newcombe, Surgeon in General Practice and Sarah 52 born 1849 Tasmania, together with Marion Ellis Newcombe, daughter aged 17 born 1884 in Newton on Trent Lincolnshire.  (in 1892 Marion was in Grantham as a visitor to the Claydon family).

in 1911 When Sarah Newcome was visiting Francis Caesar Beauvais, Frank Newcombe and Marion Ellis Newcombe were at Church Square, Haddenham, Buckinghamshire.  Frank is listed as a Surgeon & Physician.

Marion Ellis Newcombe birth registered Sep quarter 1883 Gainsbro! and a Marion Ellis Newcombe death is registered Dec quarter 1942 in Windsor, aged 59.

lancashirelove
lancashirelove
quotePosted at 11:52 on 13th February 2011

Cathml, the Frank Newcome you list as born Newcastle 1885, is that Newcastle upon Tyne (North East) or Newcastle under lyne, staffordshire (midlands)

see link below 

http://www.institutions.org.uk/workhouses/england/staffs/newcastle_under_lyne_workhouse.htm 

cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 11:57 on 13th February 2011
Seems to be Northumberland Mike.  The 1911 says Newcastle on Tyne
lancashirelove
lancashirelove
quotePosted at 12:10 on 13th February 2011
Thanks for that C.  reference in post 10 mentions a church in South Port. Southport is a 'upmarket' coastal resort town just north of Liverpool in the borough of Merseyside ( Lancashire prior to boundary changes and about 40 miles west of Manchester. Manchester Waterworks, I beleive used to cover the whole of this regeon.
Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 13:21 on 13th February 2011
On 13th February 2011 10:30, Joanna Weaver wrote:

Regarding: In 1829, a James Thomas Beauvais, gentleman of Kirk Gate, was listed amongst Bridlington's distinguished residents. I wonder who he was?
Did you manage to find out why James Thomas was listed amongst Bridlington's distingusihed residents?

not at the moment Joanna and was getting back to him. Pigot's Directory of Bridlington mentioned him amongst a handful of others of notable residents. i think he's a well off landowner of the area, but we'll have a look into his background.
Joanna Weaver
Joanna Weaver
quotePosted at 14:13 on 13th February 2011
Hey! got the hang of it now. Thanks so much you are all so kind and you are all so clever! Now on our generator also no internet so have plugged in my phone just for a minute. Does anyone know this Question: Is there any way of finding any information on this tragic death? Sister Eira was married to a Parson De Beauvais (French name) married around 1912. Ira's daughter was also called Eira but her name was spelt like this in the family, Ira (known as little Ira) who was tragically killed outside her house in Broadstone Dorset when she was on her bicycle with her brother Robin, an awful accident crushed by a steam roller of all things - it just could not stop in time. Ira was about 11 years old she was so brave and kept apologizing for causing trouble. but died from her injuries. It was in the newspaper but I do not have this article. Queen Mary was so touched by the child’s bravery that Queen Mary asked her Lady in Waiting to write a letter of condolence to Mr. Eira De Beauvais  little Ira’s mother and family. Eira De Beauvais died June quarter 1926 Axbridge, aged 10  
Joanna Weaver
Joanna Weaver
quotePosted at 15:33 on 13th February 2011

Eira was the sister of my grandmother Clytie Weaver nee Wheeler.

cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 22:27 on 13th February 2011

According to Historical Directory of 1914 - The Rev Francis Caesar de Beauvais, B.A. of Sidney Sussex College, Cambridge had been at St Paul's Church, Whiteshill, Gloucestershire since 1905.

Directory of 1919 - The Rev. Francis Caesar de Beauvais, B.A. of Sidney Sussex College, Cambridge had been at Christ Church, Theale Somerset from 1917.

Back to Clytie Wheeler.  As mentioned before Clytie, Daphne, Eira & Abbie were daughters of Henry Wheeler born 1821 Middlesex, a Solicitor and Sarah Isabella Brooks born 1849 Middlesex.  They were married in March quarter 1880 in Chorlton Lancashire.  Sarah Isabella was the widow of Leonard Brooks.

Leonard Brooks was born in 1845 in Croxby, Caistor, Lincolnshire, a commission agent who died in December quarter 1873 in West Derby, aged 28.  

Leonard Brooks married Sarah Isabella Snow in Dec quarter 1869 in Festiniog.

Sarah Isabella Wheeler (formerly Brooks, nee Snow) was born in the September Quarter 1848 St Pancras London, Middlesex and was the daughter of William Snow born 1817 Beauchamp Roothing, Essex.  He was a paper stainer and employed 34 men and 25 boys in 1881.  William Snow died June quarter 1886 in Epping, aged 70.  He was living at Waltham Villa, Princes Road, Buckhurst Hill, Chigwell, Essex.

He married Caroline Amelia Southall in September quarter 1845 in West London. Caroline Amelia was born in 1823 St Luke Middlesex/Cripplegate and died in December quarter 1902 Epping, aged 81. They had 8 children according to census information.

More later!