Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

A picture of Rothley

Rothley

in the county of Leicestershire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Please help identify property in Photo

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Joanna Weaver
Joanna Weaver
quotePosted at 14:33 on 6th March 2011

Lovely House. Painted in the Autumn as there is Virginia Creep growing up the wall there are some initials in the right hand corner. What age was the Grandmother so we know of the age of roughly it could have been a newly built house when the grandmother had possession of it. Where do you think this stone is from Dorset Stone or could it be the Cotswold’s stone? Where did the Grandmother live? The painting has age stains on the painting. The House hardly looks lived in. 

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Joanna Weaver
Joanna Weaver
quotePosted at 14:41 on 6th March 2011
Regarding my House Paul suggested it could be  Woodside, Weston in Gordano a bit south of Bristol. Which is in Somerset. If anyone knows how to find this address with a picture then it could be where my grandmother lived.
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 17:23 on 6th March 2011
On 6th March 2011 11:25, Paul Hilton wrote:

Didn’t you compete in the 1980 Winter Olympics at Lake Placid, New York? Women’s singles/ Luge event perhaps? 

Well done Joanna but hey, ho to Paul....Nice one Paul...

Wonder if he knows that I won a fishing contest once? lol

cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 17:28 on 6th March 2011
The most tiddlers in a glass jar? Hey Ron!
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 20:59 on 6th March 2011
I was 14 years of age and won a fishing contest with a single fish that weighed just 6 grammes! You are right CathyML a real tiddler! lol
Toby Craig
Toby Craig
quotePosted at 05:56 on 9th March 2011

The initals on the watercolour picture suggest that this is a watercolour by James Stewart Lawson (1829-1911) a Yorkshire artist.

I think the painting may be based on Oakwell Hall, West Yorkshire. You will find info on this house by googling Oakwell Hall.

Edit: Sorry Lisa (and Cathy) but looking around I think the name might be James Lawson Stewart?

Here is a pic of Oakwell Hall - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:DSC02388_800x600.jpg

Edited by: Toby Craig at:9th March 2011 14:07
cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 07:00 on 9th March 2011

Wow! Toby - unless it has a twin it just has to be Oakwell Hall.  You are brilliant!  The power of POE members strikes again! lol

There is a lovely description of it here:

http://www.touruk.co.uk/houses/houseyorkshire_oakwell.htm

It is a Manor House probably built in 1583 and stands in Nutter Lane, Birstall, West Yorkshire.  It is suggested that "Fieldfare" was based on this house in Charlotte Bronte's novel Shirley.

Lisa Desbat
Lisa Desbat
quotePosted at 08:54 on 9th March 2011

Hello all. Sorry, I've only just found this!

Still learning my way around POE!

My grandmother was actually given this picture by her neighbour's children who were clearing their mother's house out after her death. So I really couldn't give you any more information. 

Thank you so much! I'm now going to look up Oakwell Hall and James Stewart Lawson.

Joanna Weaver
Joanna Weaver
quotePosted at 14:43 on 9th March 2011
What is the difference between Attractiona and Town? I tried to browse for the picture and it would it would not submit please can someone help? this is the description of my photograph I cant up load: Could this be the same man standing by the Austin Car by the Pub (as in the Drive of my original Photograph in please help identify property in Photo? This gentleman looks the same standing by this lovely Old Austin Car with some of Clytie’s family her sister’s (the Wheeler family) could this be the same gentleman?  I think he must be a de Beauvais. Can anyone recognize this Pub and where is it?
cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 18:40 on 9th March 2011
Johanna - do you know where the picture was taken - town or county?  If you do go to "Add your pictures" (top left hand column) and follow the instructions, selecting either the town or county.  Once the picture has been approved and shows up under "Latest pictures" you will be able to add it to this thread.  Note the ID number of your picture then come back to this thread and "post" space - then click on the "green tree icon" in the toolbar below and enter the ID number.  You should see your picture appear in the space, then just click insert.