Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Looking towards Avon beach from Highcliffe beach, Highcliffe, Dorset

Highcliffe

in the county of Dorset

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Please help identify property in Photo

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 10:32 on 12th February 2011

Just quickly running through-----I take it Frank is Francis Caesar De Beauvais; married Eira Wheeler  20 June 1912 at St Stephens, Cheltenham and looks like the had a daughter Eira b. 1916 around Stroud. By the 1940s, and likely earlier, they were living in Broadstone, Dorset at 4 Springdale Rd. He passed away near there in 1961 and his wife earlier in 1956.

The Cotswolds thus might be an alternative location for your photo to bear in mind; notably Cheltenham/Stroud region. 

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
lancashirelove
lancashirelove
quotePosted at 10:34 on 12th February 2011

I've just 'spotted' the dogs lol.

I think they belong to the gentleman and I also think he's standing on a rear lawn of an old, possibly 16th century manor house probly in the south west of England as the stonework looks like cotswold stone. (as opposed to othe rtypes of stone found elsewhere in the country). The property could be in use at the time as a wealthy  domestic dwelling or perhaps a private fee-based church-school. (maybe Catholic origin but possibly takeover by protestants). 

cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 10:34 on 12th February 2011

Joanna I am not sure what research you have done on the family but this is some information I have found so far from the Census and Free BMD

Eira Wheeler was born in 1888 in Knutsford Cheshire,  the daughter of Henry Wheeler b 1821 Kentish Town Middlesex, a Solicitor, and Sarah Isabella born 1849 Middlesex England.

In 1901 Sarah now a widow, Clytie (20 born Southport Lancashire), Daphne (19 also born Southport), Eira (13 born Knutsford) and Abbie (9 born Knutsford) are living at Middleton Lodge, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire.

In 1911 Sarah and Eira were living at Middleton Lodge, St George Road, Cheltenham.

Eira Wheeler married in Jun 1912 in Cheltenham to Francis Caesar de Beauvais.

In 1911 at The Vicarage the Plain, Whiteshill, Stroud, Gloucestershire was Francis Casear de Beauvais aged 37 born 1874 in Bridlington, Yorkshire, he was a Clerk in Established Church, Holy Orders and with him was his mother Sarah Newcombe aged 62 born in 1849 in Tasmania.

In 1881 Robt N Beauvais (aged 11 born 1870 Bridlington) and Francis C Beauvais (Aged 7 born 1874 Bridlington) were pupils at Savernake House, St Marks Road, Kensington, London.

In 1871 at 32 Pinfold Street, Bridlington were

Robert Beauvais aged 54, born 1817 Yorkshire, retired ship owner, Harriet Beauvais 54, born 1817 Middlesex, Peckham, Sarah Beauvais, daughter, married (I think this is daughter in law) aged 21 born 1850 at sea and Robert North Beauvais, grandson, aged 1 born 1870 Yorkshire.

Francis Robert T Beavais married Sarah Ellis in Jun 1868 in Bridlington.

I hope this might give you some clues as to where to look next.  And no doubt Paul will pull the rabbit out of the hat and find Francis Robert T Beauvais in 1871 and 1881.

It might be worth looking for these names in the Telephone Directories for 1930/40 and see where they were living!  You can find them online as well.

Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 10:35 on 12th February 2011

Do you know the Rev Canon's first name/s?  And, out of interest, the de Beauvais connection to Joan of Arc you might have come across?

Yes Cathy, he is in the phone books in Broadstone, Dorset. Didn't take long for both of us to find the Cotswold connection down from Yorkshire, and thence to Broadstone. 

Edited by: Paul Hilton at:12th February 2011 11:10
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 11:16 on 12th February 2011

Members of the Wheeler family also lived at Middleton Lodge, St George Road, Cheltenham.

Francis Caesar moved around quite a bit during his various offices clergy; Thorne Rectory, Yeovil (1932)---wonder what that looks like ??

Edited by: Paul Hilton at:12th February 2011 12:13
Joanna Weaver
Joanna Weaver
quotePosted at 11:21 on 12th February 2011
On 12th February 2011 10:32, Paul Hilton wrote:

Just quickly running through-----I take it Frank is Francis Caesar De Beauvais; married Eira Wheeler  20 June 1912 at St Stephens, Cheltenham and looks like the had a daughter Eira b. 1916 around Stroud. By the 1940s, and likely earlier, they were living in Broadstone, Dorset at 4 Springdale Rd. He passed away near there in 1961 and his wife earlier in 1956.

The Cotswolds thus might be an alternative location for your photo to bear in mind; notably Cheltenham/Stroud region. 

Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 11:27 on 12th February 2011

And welcome to Poe Joanna;  I believe you've been researching this family line for some years now?

If this property is connected to the Rev Francis C, then his clerical career went from---St Stephens, Cheltenham, Stroud, Theale, Yeovil, and within a few years , he's then at Broadstone, Dorset. 

Edited by: Paul Hilton at:12th February 2011 20:11
Joanna Weaver
Joanna Weaver
quotePosted at 12:44 on 12th February 2011
 Paul Hilton lancashirelove cathyml

You are all amazing thank you so much for your time and efforts this is an incredible story. We still do not where know which or who's House it is; but I am sure you are right between you that the property is most likely to be (South West) in or near Cheltenham. It  is incredible how much you have found out so fast. Being in Africa my internet is sporadic so sorry if you don’t hear back so soon from me. Yes very very interesting.     Everything you all have found out is correct. Eira Nee Wheel and Francis Caesar De Beauvais lived at 4 Springdale Rd. They had a daughter Eira who tragicaly died when she was around 10yrs od in Broadstone she was run over by a steamroller, she had a Brother Robin De Beauvais my father’s cousin. Eira and Clyties father (My Gt Grandfather) Henry Wheeler was a Solicitor a Partner in a well known firm he set up all the Gas Works and Water works in Manchester. He was Church warden of South Port Church for 27 yrs  had had three children sadly two died and then his wife. Henry then 60yrs old marred Sarah 34yrs nee Brooks (from a large Landowner’s family) they were married 1880 in Cheltenham; a Grand Christmas Wedding, conducted by a cousin of Sarah’s Described beautifully in a News paper. Someone found Henry’s dairies in a Public auction written by him and his wife Sarah of 1880 and took them to Yorkshire TV Channel 4 for research. for a possible program. One was made about 8 yrs ago called ''Revealing Secrets'' I could not believe my eyes when I happened to see it a program (on an old dairy). The Producer did not know I existed as they did not find Clytie on the next census of 1890. Only when she was born so assumed she must have died. My gt grandfather had many Villa's he called them all Middleton Lodge the one in Cheltenham still stands (so I'm told) and has been a School and Dance School a Restaurant. The land with the tennis courts was sold off for the Dr's surgery next door for their car park.

Going back to the Photograph I put up on this site I wonder if it could be : The Vicarage the Plain, Whiteshill, Stroud, Gloucestershire? Regarding this piece of information it is very interesting I know very little but know you are correct: Robert Beauvais aged 54, born 1817 Yorkshire, retired ship owner, Harriet Beauvais 54, born 1817 Middlesex, Peckham, Sarah Beauvais, daughter, married (I think this is daughter in law) aged 21 born 1850 at sea and Robert North Beauvais, grandson, aged 1 born 1870 Yorkshire.

Regarding this piece of information. This is very interesting. I wonder which ship Robert Beauvais owned.  There was a big oil painting in Eira Wheeler house in Broadstone of  a Paddle ship called  Jupiter I was told a Member of the family was the captain on this ship and he captained the first voyage across the Baltic sea with the Russian Ambassador on board. Be interesting to know more.: Francis Robert T Beavais married Sarah Ellis in Jun 1868 in Bridlington

Many thanks indeed and if you find anything else relevent it would be very interesting. Joanna

Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 12:57 on 12th February 2011
Thanks for the increased bacground Joanna; the church at Theale isn't far from me so will pop in and see if the Rev F C de Beauvais is listed on the former Reverends; also explains why i'm finding different Middleton lodges. time to press on.....Smile
Joanna Weaver
Joanna Weaver
quotePosted at 13:10 on 12th February 2011
On 12th February 2011 09:08, Joanna Weaver wrote:
If you google the name Noah's Ark and De Beauvais you will see information of the two names of how they are connected.

You are all amazing thank you so much for your time and efforts this is an incredible story. We still do not where know which or who's House it is; but I am sure you are right between you that the property is most likely to be (South West) in or near Cheltenham. It  is incredible how much you have found out so fast. Being in Africa my internet is sporadic so sorry if you don’t hear back so soon from me. Yes very very interesting.     Everything you all have found out is correct. Eira Nee Wheeler and Francis Caesar De Beauvais lived at 4 Springdale Rd. They had a daughter Eira who tragicaly died when she was around 10yrs od in Broadstone she was run over by a steamroller, she had a Brother Robin De Beauvais my father’s cousin. Eira and Clyties father (My Gt Grandfather) Henry Wheeler was a Solicitor a Partner in a well known firm he set up all the Gas Works and Water works in Manchester. He was Church warden of South Port Church for 27 yrs  had had three children sadly two died and then his wife. Henry then 60yrs old marred Sarah 34yrs nee Brooks (from a large Landowner’s family) they were married 1880 in Cheltenham; a Grand Christmas Wedding, conducted by a cousin of Sarah’s Described beautifully in a News paper. Someone found Henry’s dairies in a Public auction written by him and his wife Sarah of 1880 and took them to Yorkshire TV Channel 4 for research. for a possible program. One was made about 8 yrs ago called ''Revealing Secrets'' I could not believe my eyes when I happened to see it a program (on an old dairy). The Producer did not know I existed as they did not find Clytie on the next census of 1890. Only when she was born so assumed she must have died. My gt grandfather had many Villa's he called them all Middleton Lodge the one in Cheltenham still stands (so I'm told) and has been a School and Dance School a Restaurant. The land with the tennis courts was sold off for the Dr's surgery next door for their car park.Going back to the Photograph I put up on this site I wonder if it could be : The Vicarage the Plain, Whiteshill, Stroud, Gloucestershire? Regarding this piece of information it is very interesting I know very little but know you are correct: Robert Beauvais aged 54, born 1817 Yorkshire, retired ship owner, Harriet Beauvais 54, born 1817 Middlesex, Peckham, Sarah Beauvais, daughter, married (I think this is daughter in law) aged 21 born 1850 at sea and Robert North Beauvais, grandson, aged 1 born 1870 Yorkshire.Regarding this piece of information. This is very interesting. I wonder which ship Robert Beauvais owned.  There was a big oil painting in Eira Wheeler house in Broadstone of  a Paddle ship called  Jupiter a Member of the family was the captain and did the first voyage across the Baltic sea with the Russian Ambassador on board. Be interesting to know more.: Francis Robert T Beavais married Sarah Ellis in Jun 1868 in Bridlington  Many thanks indeed again and if anyone finds out anything more to add it would be very intriguing. Joanna