Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Kenilworth Castle, Warwickshire.

Kenilworth

in the county of Warwickshire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Please help identify property in Photo

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Joanna Weaver
Joanna Weaver
quotePosted at 13:13 on 14th February 2011

Amazing amount of fantatic research Chathy incredible what you have all found out. Thank  you so much again.

Do you or anyonne know anything about Henry Wheeler side of the family? His father and great grandfather's and profession and where they lived and his parents? If it is not too much trouble and difficult for you to find out. It would be very interesting. I wonder if there are any relations still alive from Henry Wheeler first marriage before he married Sarah Isabella nee Snow? I wouldn't have a clue how to find out, but maybe you can find it out. But I dont want to be a nuisence already you have found out a mountain of detail.

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 17:51 on 14th February 2011

This MIGHT be the birth of Henry Wheeler but I have not been able to confirm the information (it is not a particularly unusual name!)

Henry Wheeler born 26 October 1821 and christened 25 November 1821 at St Leonards Shoreditch London.  Son of William Weaver and Jane.  I don't know enough about the London areas to know whether this church would be considered to be in "Kentish Town"  maybe someone could help me out there?

In 1851 Henry Wheeler born Kentish Middlesex (age 36!) Solicitor and articled clerk, Agnes 35 born 1816 Middleton Lancashire, Henry Sawtor Wheeler aged 1 and Eliza Agnes Wheeler aged 1 month were living in Long Street Middleton Lancashire.

A Henry Wheeler married Agnes Searle in March quarter 1848 Ashton under Lyne.

Elizabeth Agnes born 1851 died Jun 1862

No trace so far of Henry Sawtor Wheeler.

In 1861 Henry Wheeler 40 born 1821 Kentish Town Middlesex, Attorney, Edith aged 5 born Middleton Lancashire are living in Long Street Middleton.  Haven't found Agnes yet.

In 1871 Henry Wheeler 50 born Kentish Town, Attorney & Solicitor, Agnes 58 born 1813 Middleton Lancashire and Edith 16 are living in Middleton lancashire.

An Agnes Wheeler died September Quarter 1877 Chapel en le Frith Derbyshire aged 64.

An Edith Wheeler married in March Quarter 1880 in Oldham Lancashire to Theophilus Jackson.

In March 1880 Henry Wheeler married Sarah Isabella Brooks in Chorlton Lancashire.

More to come.........

cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 18:29 on 14th February 2011

Just one thing extra to add to Henry Wheeler and Sarah from 1891 when they were at Middleton Lodge Manchester Road, Pickmere Cheshire is that besides Clytie, Daphne, Eira there was a son Peter born in 1884  and in 1901 we add a daughter Abbie born in 1892. 

I have not found Daphne in 1911 nor a marriage so far.

Abbie Wheeler married in Sep quarter 1916 Cheltenham to Alexander E Fletcher.

I think the Humphrey Weaver that Clytie married was the son of James Homer Weaver born 1848 Wolverhampton and Emily Florence (Fowke) born 1850 Wolverhampton.  James Homer Weaver was an Accountant according to the 1881 Census.  Humphrey was born in 1882 in Bristol Gloucestershire.  In 1901 he was a 2nd Lieut Militia Infantry.

If you wish to find out more about the various families, etc., that I've mentioned Joanna I think you should seriously consider joining either AncestryUK or Findmypast, which have extensive records which you can check.  Most Births, Marriages and Deaths which occured after 1838 can be found on FREEBMD.  And quite a lot of information from Parish Registers (Christenings, Weddings and Funerals) can be checked on Familysearch for free.  These are all internet sites and easily accessible  to you.

Good luck with your research.

Joanna Weaver
Joanna Weaver
quotePosted at 20:03 on 14th February 2011

100% Re: Henry Wheeler born 26 October 1821 and christened 25 November 1821 at St Leonards Shoreditch London. Son of William Weaver and Jane. I don't know enough about the London areas to know whether this church would be considered to be in "Kentish Town" maybe someone could help me out there? In 1851 Henry Wheeler born Kentish Middlesex (age 36!) Solicitor and articled clerk, Agnes 35 born 1816 Middleton Lancashire, Henry Sawtor Wheeler aged 1 and Eliza Agnes Wheeler aged 1 month were living in Long Street Middleton Lancashire. A Henry Wheeler married Agnes Searle in March quarter 1848 Ashton under Lyne. Elizabeth Agnes born 1851 died Jun 1862

100% correct and all the rest 100% correct!!!  Thank you so much will do this as you suggested this is so kind of you to have gone this far you are all so amazing thank you again you have so much talent I am so very greatful. Joanna

cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 20:29 on 14th February 2011

From what you said above Joanna I assume you already had all that information! 

Unfortunately we are no nearer to guessing what property is in your photograph.

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 21:31 on 14th February 2011
I agree Joanna an amazing bunch of people thats for sure!
cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 11:47 on 15th February 2011

I could be (and probably am) way off here.  But I found Robert North de Beauvais living at Edgecumbe House in Milton Abbott in 1902.  So I checked out Edgecumbe House - I don't think that is the one in the picture.  However, another house also once owned by the Edgecombe family is Cotehele - I am not sure this is the right building either but it has the same sort of feel! and odd building styles and might possibly point to other possibilites. 

Here is the web site for Cotehele - It is built around on four sides with a courtyard in the middle.  I have found photos of 2 sides and the courtyard but not the other 2 sides.

http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/w-vh/w-visits/w-findaplace/w-cotehele.htm

And here is a pic of Cotehele from POE showing the varying rooflines etc.  Note the door way!  Windows are arched though whereas the ones we are looking for are squared off.

Cotehele house and formal garden
Picture by Hilary Hoad

Maybe other members will think of a similar style house!

lancashirelove
lancashirelove
quotePosted at 14:58 on 15th February 2011
eemh Cathml? the window openings are different and the 'coloured' picture above appears to be more recent. In the 'middle ages' owners of properties and manor houses were taxed on the number of fireplaces and number and size of windows they had. Also glass was very expensive so the windows were small. a Manor was an area of land, usualy owned by or rented from the 'Crown', the main house was refered to as the Manor house'.
lancashirelove
lancashirelove
quotePosted at 15:10 on 15th February 2011

The style is simular but not the same property .

http://www.bnbselect.com/bnb/38126

cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 15:19 on 15th February 2011

Cathy wrote "And here is a pic of Cotehele from POE showing the varying rooflines etc.  Note the door way!  Windows are arched though whereas the ones we are looking for are squared off."

Mike wrote "eemh Cathml? the window openings are different and the 'coloured' picture above appears to be more recent. "

The picture from POE would definitely have been taken more recently than Joanna's black and white one!  But Cotehele is a tudor house!  To me that is fairly old, lol! So presumably they had plenty of money to pay the window tax! 

While I have been researching I read that when the occupants were away from the premises the window panes (leaded lights or whatever they called them) were all removed and stored safely and the windows were boarded up.They were replaced by the servants when they knew the owners were returning.  That must have been quite an undertaking!