Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

SALTHOUSE BROAD, RIVER BURE

Salthouse

a Seaside Town in the county of Norfolk

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

What is that ever present fragrance that permeates England?

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Jason T
Jason T
quotePosted at 20:56 on 18th October 2011
Hi Linda, yes a lovely part of the country! Close to the Somerset and north Devon coast, which I think is stunning! Also you have Avebury and Stonehenge which is worth a look! Seaton and beer are nice places in the coast! Oh I could go on and on! It's A great area! You'll love it! It's nice up north too!! Depends how long your over here! Peak district, lake district, Yorkshire dales and moors! York city! All well worth visiting!! You've made me want to go visit them all myself now!! :)

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Linda-mary Sigley
Linda-mary Sigley
quotePosted at 22:12 on 18th October 2011

Oh my, it's a festival of goodwill here.  Thank you for your encouragement.  I've looked at a lot of places on POE in the past year and I thought the southwest and southeast looked the way one thinks England should look.  Yes, plan to visit places such as Glastonbury, Wells, Avebury, Stonehenge (my husband has never been there though I have but long ago) Seaton, Beer, Lyme Regis and Jurassic Coast, Hastings, Battle, Canterbury, Deal, Maidstone and so on.  Yes,I would like to take my husband to the north as I spent nearly a month in York city many years ago.  There's a lot to see in the area.  Robin Hood's Bay I thought was so, well, precious if that term isn't an offense.  Also Whitby with the haunted ruins of Whitby Abbey and the bay with the fishing boats moored near the peninsula.  Very picturesque.  I didn't see any ghosts...it was broad daylight though.

I am going to cut and paste John's link so I can take virtual tour of Rosehip Cottage.  We like not only the cottage but the fact we can get catering on request...breakfast, lunch and dinner.  So special.

James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 22:17 on 18th October 2011

i cant help you there linda -i know very little of the south of england but there is still a lot of nice scenery and beauty in the northern counties.

lancashire,yorkshire,cheshire and further north to cumbria.

Linda-mary Sigley
Linda-mary Sigley
quotePosted at 22:19 on 18th October 2011
One little thing I want my husband to do at morning in a nice little restaurant.  When he orders to just say a full English please.  I know he'll love what he gets on his plate.  (I enjoy English food..bacon, egg , chips and peas...yummy)
Vince Hawthorn
Vince Hawthorn
quotePosted at 22:29 on 18th October 2011
Hi Linda-Mary, can't let this round of suggestions pass without encouraging you whilst in the South West to cross the border (River Tamar) to visit the land that is Cornwall (Kernow). Here there is beauty, ruggedness, seascapes and history to name just a few wonders to be found, oh and don't forget THE CORNISH PASTY. Whatever and wherever your journey will take you be sure to enjoy every moment.
James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 22:31 on 18th October 2011
vince you can buy cornish pasties anywhere nowWinkbut none like rowes eh
Linda-mary Sigley
Linda-mary Sigley
quotePosted at 22:36 on 18th October 2011
Yes, James, actually I've always had rather a fascination with Northumberland.  Especially Alnwick and Bambergh.  My Dad was from Lancashire so go north through Cotswolds and Lancashire then over to Durham?? then on to Alnwick.  How is that route?  Stay a bit up there.
Linda-mary Sigley
Linda-mary Sigley
quotePosted at 22:41 on 18th October 2011
I've read Cornwall is a separate country from England.  Do they like visitors?  I enjoyed every moment last time I was there and hope to do the same this time.  I meant England.  Kindest people I've ever known.
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 23:16 on 18th October 2011
Well Linda-Mary if we are all pushing our favourites at you I urge you most strongly to visit the LAKE DISTRICT. It's a long way from Somerset so probably will not be viable for you but there is some of the most stunning scenery in England to be enjoyed, We go 2 or 3 times a year. If I could find a job I would move there tomorrow.....It does however have it's own micro-climate but a bit of rain doesn't hurt anybody ! ! !
Vince Hawthorn
Vince Hawthorn
quotePosted at 23:47 on 18th October 2011

Yes Linda, Cornwall is a land apart but suffers just the same at the hands of parlament. Yes, Cornish Pasties can be bought all over Britain and in fact in many corners of the globe BUT to be a Cornish Pasty it must have been made in Cornwall to a traditional recipe with local produce and crimped on the side Not on the top!.

I have just seen in another thread you mentioned Arundel, I can tell you that you will get access to much of the castle. My daughter is a wheelchair user and when we visited they were very helpful there, you will be able to see hidden parts of the castle as they take you to the lifts.Unfortunatley the Keep is not accessable which was an area my daughter would like to have got to. She has through my wife's family line a direct line to William d'Albini who was the first Earl of Arundel and he built the stone keep. William married Adeliza de Louvain who was Henry 1's second wife. To get to the Baron's Hall and to look down on the Chapel there are 2 or 3 steps to go down.

Another place to put on your list is Hampton Court and again that is very good for wheelchair users, the staff being very helpful and again lifts hidden away in areas not normally open to general public.

I hope it is of some help.