Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Arundel Cathedral

Arundel

in the county of West Sussex

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

What is that ever present fragrance that permeates England?

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Linda-mary Sigley
Linda-mary Sigley
quotePosted at 04:43 on 10th October 2011
Thank you Sue for the good advice.  I'm sure rain will bring out the scent.  I know how lovely the desert smells after a rain shower.  Plan to spend lots of time in the countryside.  Also plan to visit Marjorie Pope in Brixham and take the C S Lewis tour with Ron.
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Linda-mary Sigley
Linda-mary Sigley
quotePosted at 04:56 on 10th October 2011
Castle in the clouds
Picture by Sarah Dawson

Linda-mary Sigley
Linda-mary Sigley
quotePosted at 05:02 on 10th October 2011
The image above spells magic to me.  I can imagine knights on horses riding out from the castle grounds and Lords and Ladies boating on the lake.  England is heaven on earth.  Can't wait to get off the plane.
James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 20:24 on 10th October 2011
john,i also remember  "the yank's "where i lived at burtonwood in the 50s/60s they were great with us lad's -i also remember the open day's 4th july when you could go round the air base 8am-6pm then they would run you home in the jeep's and truck's and when you were getting out one guy would say --hey thar sonny you any sister's in that thar house.
Linda-mary Sigley
Linda-mary Sigley
quotePosted at 23:08 on 10th October 2011

Do I detect that you guys like Americans?  If so, that is very heartening to hear as we feel like aliens in europe.  But what I found on my solo trip way back was that the English people were the kindest people I had ever known.  I had an adventure whilst I was there (or misadventure) and I was saved by my British tour group.  I was abandoned in London by my crackpot uncle and 2 couples came forward to take me in to their own homes so my trip wasn't spoilt.  I've never forgotten such unbelievable kindness.

Yes, make it the 51st state.  Why not?

James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 22:44 on 11th October 2011
i took some picture's of the hanger's at the base prior to the demolition it was surprising how big they were inside with all the wall painting's and cartoon character's --sadly they have all gone now but i still have the happy memorie's of the good time's we spent  with the young lad's at the air base.Smile
Diana Leclair
Diana Leclair
quotePosted at 23:54 on 11th October 2011
Regarding the fragrance of England. Every once in a while especially in spring and early summer I will step outside here in Oregon and notice a fragrance that takes me back to my dad's beautiful English garden in Oakington. Cambs. And of course I revel in it :-)
Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 00:06 on 12th October 2011

Here is a picture taken by our Shaun. I swear, I can smell England in this picture. 

Here comes  the fall
Picture by shaun wilson

Andrew Marks
Andrew Marks
quotePosted at 14:12 on 12th October 2011
On 10th October 2011 19:51, John Lawrence wrote:

I wonder if the American airmen/women that were based at RAF Manston noticed the smell?  And if any of you guys are reading this Hi to you all, I remember open days and iced teas, big caddilacs that had problems with our streets.  bikes that never got punctures (wow).

And the mums at home so kind to us locals, fabulous times and we arent mainly european, we should be the 51st State!

Sadly, the only smell at RAF Manston when I was there was stale rotting cabbages - not an endearing smell of Olde England I would have thought!!! lol 

Andy

James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 18:30 on 12th October 2011

aye -and all we seem to smell these day's is take-away's Frown

far too many.

Edited by: james prescott at:12th October 2011 18:31