Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Berkeley Castle, Gloucestershire

Berkeley

in the county of Gloucestershire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

What is that ever present fragrance that permeates England?

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 21:32 on 16th August 2011
same here ted    nice to see you on againSmile
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 01:53 on 17th August 2011

I did wonder how long this lovely thread would last before 'The Men' got here and messed with it. 

You guys are incorrigable!

Ruth Gregory
Ruth Gregory
quotePosted at 04:13 on 17th August 2011
On 16th August 2011 14:24, Kip Bennett wrote:

Oh Ruth you've got it bad! Just like me. That addiction! It's the only place I want to visit as well.

Yes, I'd love to visit Dorset and the Jurassic Coast, then drive over to Devon and Cornwall on my next visit. Though East Anglia, the city of Norwich, Lavenham, Cambridge, Broads, Fens, all merit a trip as well. 

I was in Shropshire near the Black Country and it's beautiful too. If you go there you must visit Shrewsbury and stay ay "The Catherine of Aragon Suite"(that's the name of the B and B). Read about it on Tripadvisor. Also visit Church Stretton and Ludlow and walk the Shropshire Hills as AE Housman did. I didn't make it up to Cheshire but would love to have stayed in Chester for a few days. 

As for the light---it was the evening sun that made the landscapes so magical. Every night it was lavender, and sometimes a burning orange, with a mournful grey behind it, and what this did was allow bright landscapes in the near vista, with shaded areas in the middle, and then brighter again in the far(I don't mean bright when I say bright--just not that a grey look). My Robin Hood's Bay rainbow pic captures exactly what I'm talking about. This happened all the time, and I think it's also partly because the clouds move so quickly because of the winds. Pair that with the clean air and the sounds of the birds and it made the area a near paradise.

Did you notice fewer telephone poles, wires, metal fences, etc over there? It made everything  more open and visible. 

Well, now that the lads are in dreamland, I can bring this thread back around, Sue.  lol

Hi Kip:  You're right, I've got it bad.  But I think it's this lovely site and the lovely people here on all sides of the pond who keep me hooked. 

I didn't notice the lack of telephone poles, but I did notice that the freeways are absolutely spotless.  No litter, no billboards.  It was a feast for the eyes around every curve, especially driving across Devon.

I will have to take your advice on where to visit.  It's nice to know from people who've been there.  Both times we were there we stayed in apartments (it was just like living there).  The main reason was that we like to travel light, so the apartments usually have laundry facilties.  Both trips we flew back and forth between England and Ireland on Ryan Air and they have really cheap fares, but really tight weight restrictions on bags and you pay thru the nose if the bags are overweight.  Besides it's no fun to have to schlep a monster suitcase around or try to heave it onto a bus.  lol

I just took a stroll thru your pix and they're great.  We visited a lot of the same places you did.  It's nice to see those places as someone else captures them.

Kip Bennett
Kip Bennett
quotePosted at 15:59 on 17th August 2011

Devon!! Never been and when I plan my next trip(possibly 2 Summers away) I will be asking for your advice!

We pack light as well. Just went to laundrette every 5 days. I need yo stroll through your pics! 

Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 16:05 on 17th August 2011

Devon and Cornwall are lovely parts of the country. Vince will no doubt expound on the virtues of making your whole visit in Cornwall.

Syd Harling
Syd Harling
quotePosted at 15:27 on 21st August 2011
On 15th August 2011 09:16, james prescott wrote:

pity they cant play rugby.Wink

i have also experienced the language thing-----we were in a garden centre in anglesey and the staff were very nice whilst they were serving you both were speaking english but as soon as the money changed hands out came the foreign talk,so i just said --i know what you are saying about us "i didnt "then they reverted back to english.  

We had a different experience in Betys Y Coed. As soon as the folks in the pub discovered we spoke English they all began to speak English. At the end of the evening they all sang the national anthem in  Welsh then sang it again in English. We had a great time and never paid for a drink as soon as they discovered we were not from there.
Cheri Thomas
Cheri Thomas
quotePosted at 15:24 on 24th September 2011
Thank you Sue & Kip.  I've always wanted to write an article titled "There's Something About the Air in England" but was never able to put the words together to express what I feel every time I get off the plane.  Glad there are people who experience the same thing I do.  England is truly a magical place.  Thanks for putting it into words.  There's no place like England.
Ruth Gregory
Ruth Gregory
quotePosted at 04:15 on 5th October 2011

You're most welcome, John.  England is awesome!

Linda-mary Sigley
Linda-mary Sigley
quotePosted at 14:13 on 9th October 2011

Thank you all for the tips on where to visit.  My husband and I will be across the pond all summer and probably part of spring 2012.  I was warned by a friend who lives in Ladywell near London that the Olympics are going to cause many crowds next year.

Maybe it was because I was a teenager but I never smelled anything different when I was in England.  What I did notice was the magically soft air in the Borders of Scotland.  Didn't feel it in Edinburgh.  I'll be on the sniff for it next year.

Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 16:15 on 9th October 2011

Be sure and walk the lovely country lanes and fields Linda-Mary, especially after a nice rain. I can promise you will never forget how England smells after that.

I'm sure the big cities smell, but it's not something we want to be remembered for.