Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Kersey

Kersey

in the county of Suffolk

Mow Cop at sunset

Mow Cop

in the county of Staffordshire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

What is that ever present fragrance that permeates England?

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Barbara Shoemaker
Barbara Shoemaker
quotePosted at 15:32 on 15th August 2011

Hi Kip, and welcome to POE!  This thread has made me "home" sick for England!  It's been almost 4 years since I was there and I do miss it so.  Can't say I recall a particular scent though.  I've been all over the Cotswolds and never found one bit of it to be "touristy".  I enjoyed a lovely, quiet walk through Snowshill one day and hardly saw another living soul, save my companions.  I have found Fodor's to express some opinions/ recommendations that seemed somewhat haughty or snooty to me.  Apparently, they don't stay in the less expensive, more homely B&Bs and places where we did, where we were well cared for and treated as beloved family/friends.  Your photos are wonderful too.  I can't wait to go back to England again, whenever that may be.

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 19:17 on 15th August 2011
Hi Kip and welcome, look forward to seeing many more of your photos, and you joining in the forums!
Ruth Gregory
Ruth Gregory
quotePosted at 04:01 on 16th August 2011
On 15th August 2011 04:33, Kip Bennett wrote:

You may be right, Ruth, but the people I'm talking about are not on limited budgets. Really, though, at least they're experiencing some other parts of the world so I need to back off of my opinion on how they "do" England(London)!

In all honesty the trip didn't cost that much, it was the exchange rate that was more of an issue. For instance--the place we stayed in Hawkshead(Queens Head Hotel) was around 45 dollars, and it was just as charming as the Mermaid Inn in Rye which was well over 100 bucks a night. Car rental through AutoEurope not that bad, and I just booked everything early with fingers crossed that nothing would come up to prevent us from going.

As for North Yorkshire---it was like heaven to me as well. My companion liked Robin Hood's Bay better than anywhere else we visited, and I fell in love with Wensleydale and Swaledale. Brooks and streams everywhere, as clean as Holland, green pastures, sheep, Border Collies, beautiful stone villages, heather, gorse, bracken, woods where the forest floor was mossy and green unlike our American brown woodland ground, and of course that exhilarating fragrance that I want to bring back with me! Did you notice it?

Have you been to the southeast? East Sussex was a little slice of heaven as well. The Downs were like no other place we visited. Even the texture of them felt unique. Rye was like living in a postcard, and Beachy Head was magnificent yet intimate.

Hi Kip:  Yes, the exchange rates definitely make a difference in the affordability of a trip.  And it's definitely not been in our favor the last few years.  Our first trip there was 4 years ago and it was $2/£ and the Euro was about $1.65.  Worth every penny though.

Yep, N. Yorkshire - you've described it to a T.  I don't remember any particular smell, but I did notice, on both trips, that the light has a certain quality to it.  I don't know if it's from the humidity in the air or what, but it's kind of a misty glow, even on clear days.  It was really something.

I've not been to the southeast, apart from Hampshire.  In the south we visited points west.  We stayed in a holiday apartment out in the country in Dorset and then drove up to Bath one day, Oxford another,
Bude another.  The south Dorset area called Jurassic coast is not to be missed next time you go.  For our next trip, I'd like to do the middle.  Maybe start out in East Anglia and over to the Black Country and Wales.  So much to see.  Ireland's wonderful too.  The British Isles - the garden spot of planet earth.  I'm spoiled now - it's the only place I want to go.

Kip Bennett
Kip Bennett
quotePosted at 14:24 on 16th August 2011

Oh Ruth you've got it bad! Just like me. That addiction! It's the only place I want to visit as well.

Yes, I'd love to visit Dorset and the Jurassic Coast, then drive over to Devon and Cornwall on my next visit. Though East Anglia, the city of Norwich, Lavenham, Cambridge, Broads, Fens, all merit a trip as well. 

I was in Shropshire near the Black Country and it's beautiful too. If you go there you must visit Shrewsbury and stay ay "The Catherine of Aragon Suite"(that's the name of the B and B). Read about it on Tripadvisor. Also visit Church Stretton and Ludlow and walk the Shropshire Hills as AE Housman did. I didn't make it up to Cheshire but would love to have stayed in Chester for a few days. 

As for the light---it was the evening sun that made the landscapes so magical. Every night it was lavender, and sometimes a burning orange, with a mournful grey behind it, and what this did was allow bright landscapes in the near vista, with shaded areas in the middle, and then brighter again in the far(I don't mean bright when I say bright--just not that a grey look). My Robin Hood's Bay rainbow pic captures exactly what I'm talking about. This happened all the time, and I think it's also partly because the clouds move so quickly because of the winds. Pair that with the clean air and the sounds of the birds and it made the area a near paradise.

Did you notice fewer telephone poles, wires, metal fences, etc over there? It made everything  more open and visible. 

Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 14:37 on 16th August 2011

Hi Kip, just read your last post. So glad you enjoyed your visit. Looking at all your pictures you certainly got around a fair bit of the country, including my favourite place The Lake District. But there is such a great variety in England. I'm sure you'll be back again someday. Thanks for sharing all your pics with us,

TedPremier Member - Click for more info
Ted
quotePosted at 15:49 on 16th August 2011
The smell of England. Each time as we crossing the channel for a visit it’s the first thing we notice when we approaching Dover.
Kip Bennett
Kip Bennett
quotePosted at 16:12 on 16th August 2011
Ted, that's interesting that you notice it(coming from The Netherlands), and I'm glad. It's strange, though, because I think I may have noticed it up in Friesland(Hindeloopen) in your country. This was many years ago so I may be mistaken.
TedPremier Member - Click for more info
Ted
quotePosted at 20:36 on 16th August 2011
Must confes that i've been more often in England than I have been visiting Friesland. Perhaps it's the smell of the meadows combined with the smell of the sea?
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 20:38 on 16th August 2011
Or it could be from our James' socks permeating from the north! lol
James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 20:47 on 16th August 2011
theres nowt wrong with my socks they are changed  every 4 days and every 5 after october.Cool