Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Berkhamsted, Hertfordshire - 'The Boat' by the canal

Berkhamsted

in the county of Hertfordshire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

The Gurkhas are told to go - shame on you and your Government Gordon Brown!

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**
< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 08:06 on 22nd May 2009

The latest update from Joanna Lumley:

At midday today, Home Secretary Jacqui Smith made the announcement to the House of Commons that the Gurkha Justice Campaign have been fighting for for years. All ex-Gurkhas who have served more than 4 years in the British Army will have the right to settle in the UK if they wish.

After such a long fight, with huge ups and downs, this is a superb announcement.

We simply would not have won this fight without the massive, overwhelming support of all those who have supported our campaign. To the hundreds of thousands of people who have signed Gurkha Justice petitions, lobbied their MP, campaigned, attended rallies and marches - thank you so much to you all. This is your victory. It would not have happened without you.

The Government has now responded to that campaign after court cases, votes in Parliament, a huge media campaign and, most importantly, massive public support. I am delighted, and humbled, at what has been achieved by our remarkable team.

The whole campaign has been based on the belief that those who have fought and been prepared to die for our country should have the the right to live in our country. We owe them a debt of honour - a debt that will now be paid.

With warmest good wishes,

Joanna
www.gurkhajustice.org.uk

That's what I call a result and the POE family played it's part, so thanks from me too!

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Xxxx Xxxx
Xxxx Xxxx
quotePosted at 14:35 on 22nd May 2009

Be careful what you ask for, you may get it. Of course ( the government has wisdom ) there's enough nursing home beds to accommodate .. how many exactly? Better take a ticket and get in line.

From Al Jazeera: "Alan Fisher, Al Jazeera's correspondent in London, said the move would allow 15,000 Gurkhas to live in the UK along with their spouses and school-age children"

Edited by: Ceridwyn at:22nd May 2009 14:41
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 22:05 on 22nd May 2009
Better 15,000 Gurkas than some of the scum that manages to get through!
 Please login to post to this thread...
< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10