Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Sheerness, on the Isle of Sheppey, Kent

Sheerness

in the county of Kent

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

PHOTO INFORMATION

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 21:08 on 23rd October 2013
Each photo on POE shows certain extracts from the EXIF info imbedded into the image, Camera, lens, aperture, ISO etc. I think another useful extract would be the date the photo was taken. Not all of us upload images the same day we take them. I tend to go away for a week take my photos and then leave them for a week or so to view with a fresh eye. For instance Tuesday 22-10 I was still uploading images taken in July!!  I don't think extracting the EXIF info is difficult so what say you folks??
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Vince Hawthorn
Vince Hawthorn
quotePosted at 21:20 on 23rd October 2013
  Fully agree Dave , the date taken can sometimes have a relevance to the pic in question. I have myself on occasion wondered when the shot was taken rather than when posted ( although that has an interest of it's own ) . I have wondered in the past though why we have info on the aperture, ISO, focal length etc - but not the shutter speed as this is there on the EXIF file just as much as the other info . Here we go again though - making more work for C&S !
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 21:36 on 23rd October 2013
I instigated that info about a year ago when I asked for the lens info to be shown, in that it is the lens that dictates the perspective and overall view of the photograph. But yes I agree shutter speed also would be useful as it is the combination of shutter and aperture that is the basis of all exposures. The lens info I requested then appeared within a day or so so I don't think that extracting the info is difficult. It is all there imbedded in the image file. So there you go Chris &Sarah... shutter speed and date of capture if you would be so kindWink along with all your other priorities ofcourseUndecided
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 22:40 on 23rd October 2013

You are absolutely right John the idea is to promote England (Britain) in photographs. But I just feel the date is relevant to the image. For instance an image I uploaded a couple of days ago from July... Ruth made a comment along the lines of 'well at least you had some good weather' which I think was possibly based on her knowing I had just been to the Lakes in October!!

But thinking on it could be of use to anyone looking for inspiration for booking holidays or days out. As you say I too often look back through previous files and come across a shot I had missed at the time. I certainly would not think adversely to anyone uploading 'old' photos.

rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 00:03 on 24th October 2013

Yes Dave, until you pointed it out I was assuming it was one of your October photographs, which puzzled me because you had mentioned that the weather had not been so good in October. The penny didn't drop until you said that you had finished uploading your July photos, then I realised my mistake.

Yes, I think the date would be a nice addition to the information, I assumed it was there somewhere and I was missing it, but it seems not. 

Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 03:30 on 24th October 2013

I'd be interested in the date a photo was taken, though the month and day would be enough for me. As for Exif info...this is what happend to me about a year ago in a photo competition.

a photo i've had on Poe since 2005/6 I entered in a competiton. The so-called judges found it on Poe. They decreed on their forum I had stolen my own photo; I was selling my photos on Poe, and to further prove I wasn't an amateur, they went for the Exif shown on Poe which apparently proved that my 2004 Nikon D70 was a professional camera.

thus, also with the approval of others in the forum, my photo was thus banned and removed from the entries, and I was also banned from entering any further competitons by these buffoons passing themselves off as photo competition judges. 

Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 08:09 on 24th October 2013

The ludicrous situation which Paul describes could not have happened before the advent of digital photography and the web. In the old days, it was usually the case that if you had possession of the negative (or slide), then it was very likely you owned the copyright too. 

Also, in the case Paul describes, I wonder how they thought you can steal your own photo. 

Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 08:29 on 24th October 2013
Also like to bet that all the so called judges had 'top of the range' cameras too. Or they were simply jealous that Paul had submitted something of such quality it showed them up !!!!
Rod BurkeyPremier Member - Click for more info
Rod Burkey
quotePosted at 00:13 on 1st November 2013
The more information attached to pictures on POE the better. I linger longer when viewing the images if I know what it is I am looking at. Some pictures of course speak for themselves, but often a date and some text about the image adds a lot for me. Sometimes I see pictures which just say A picture of Tickle On The Tum, which is alright but I for one enjoy knowing a little more. 
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 07:22 on 1st November 2013

Quite agree Rod. The subject of narrative has been discussed in another thread recently with an element of success, although some of those who submit photos do not get involved with the forums. But having said that the guidelines on the 'submit' page, if I remember correctly does ask for information on the images... I always try to give information as apart from imparting information to the viewer it takes me back to the day I was out with the camera.

It was suggested that the narrative box be made compulsory as is the 'rating' box. But that is another little programming thing which will be down to Chris and Sarah along with all the other things they have top do to keep this great site going

Edited by: Dave John at:1st November 2013 07:24