Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Arundel Castle, West Sussex

Arundel

in the county of West Sussex

Wells Cathedral

Wells

in the county of Somerset

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

What future digital?

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Toby Craig
Toby Craig
quotePosted at 21:07 on 15th September 2009

I find old photos fascinating, a real glimpse into the past and would like to think that many of today's photos will be available for future generations to view.

Edited by: Toby Craig at:30th January 2012 03:02
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Peter Evans
Peter Evans
quotePosted at 00:14 on 16th September 2009

I dont think they will ever be lost. There will always be a converter program for the next generation photographic medium. I have started to scan in my old 35mm film to the computer. I can now give slide shows on the TV. All photos are now backed up on three hard drives and memory sticks for safety.They will never fade in digital format.

The older music systems are now converted to digital, so can be played on modern systems. I have a program that will convert CD music into ipod, mp3 and a few more file systems. You can even convert your old vynil and tape music to any of the newer file formats. The same will happen with photo files.

Peggy Cannell
Peggy Cannell
quotePosted at 13:52 on 16th September 2009
Ditto Peter, I have scanned hundreds of 35mm pics to my computer and put them on discs, about 500 Church's and about the same amountof Village Signs, and Countless War Memorials, but I think I had better do the same for Views before they all fade. I did not realise you can store them on Memory Sticks which takes up a lot less space, I thought they were just for transferring pics from the camera to the PC, but a good idea, one learns something every day !!
Jason T
Jason T
quotePosted at 14:17 on 16th September 2009
Yeah i think most will be able to be converted as tech changes. Imagine if they had digital 1000 yrs ago, or even earlier!! imagine been able to actually see what it was like, the buildings when new etc.... would be pretty amazing. Having said that it would also take some of the mystery away, instead of naive paintings, we would have sharp photos, interesting but sad in a way. So in the future this is how it will probably be, they will know pretty much everything about how we lived and who we all were, in nearly every detail ....that is of course if we haven't blown each other apart by then!
Peter Evans
Peter Evans
quotePosted at 14:35 on 16th September 2009

Hi Peg. Memory sticks have come down so much in price and the size has gone up drasticaly lately. You can now get 32 Gigabite sticks for less than I paid for 4 Gig sticks that I got 2 years ago. Even Re-writeable Discs fade after about 2 years, Write once read many last a lot longer,but they dont last indefinately. As long as the sticks are not subjected to high magnetic fields or high voltages,they will last almost forever. I have stopped using discs for storage,only for transporting photos for friends.

Jason, I think we will have another ice age before we blow ourselves up. Just think, in ten thousand years time,if there is anybody about then and can work out how to use our digital recordings,they may just be able to avoid doing the same as us. Then again, they may be a troup of monkeys from africa. Lol

Edited by: Peter Evans at:16th September 2009 14:47
Stephanie Jackson
Stephanie Jackson
quotePosted at 07:15 on 17th September 2009

yes I agree with everyone but I know what you mean Toby. I still have albums to look back on from the days I took photos with my Pentax K1000 but now I only print out some of the photos and although I have a great printer I don't tend to print as many out as I used to because of storage. I do lots of back ups but it isn't the same as those photo albums! Mind you I suppose if there was a fire, god forbid, the albums would be gone but some of my photos would be safe on backups and of course here on POE!

My Grandad was an avid photographer before the Second World War and my family gave me all his processing equipment to keep because they know I have followed in his footsteps in so many ways. My Mom has his photos in albums and they are amazing to see.

Rod BurkeyPremier Member - Click for more info
Rod Burkey
quotePosted at 17:12 on 13th December 2009
I tend to back up my images on to two external hard drives. The cost is not too high given how much space they now offer. I also keep all my original RAW files. There is I fear no fool proof method of ensuring your images are never lost. Prints, slides and negatives could also be lost or stolen.
Anthony Vardy
Anthony Vardy
quotePosted at 22:00 on 23rd January 2010

I have for the the last 16 years been taking digital images

And working on the development for the last 9 years of what we now have

in place of what we older folk called a Jukebox.

I was in Japan when the CD revolution took off and even then everyone know it was only going to be a small life span that the CD was going to have.

But my point is if you want to make you digital software as safe as you can the most effective way of doing it at a cost the average person can afford is by making sets of DVDs .

By sets I mean you make your first DVD say its got 500 images on it

then  you make two copy's of that DVD that gives you a set of three 

the reason for three is simple after working with this media for the last 20+ years I know from my own experience even the best discs will fail at some time so you need to have at least two copy;s

This is the most effective way of doing it

You will get boy geeks saying use hard drives or even solid state drives but the same applies you need to have backups to because the drives will fail at some time to

Hope this is of some help 

Rod BurkeyPremier Member - Click for more info
Rod Burkey
quotePosted at 17:31 on 25th January 2010
My portable hard drives are pretty much like DVDs but hold more information. Interesting advice Anthony. Triple backup would create even more need for space in my ever decreasing space in the study. Food for though though. 
Peter Evans
Peter Evans
quotePosted at 20:03 on 26th January 2010
I have 1T/Byte of hard drives fitted One external and two internal drives with all my photos backed up on each. Plus I now have them backed up on memory sticks as well,one crashed hard drive convinced me that two just was not enough. Have I gone overboard with five complete backups?