Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Salford Docks

Salford

in the county of Greater Manchester

Cow and Calf Rocks Ilkley

Ilkley

in the county of West Yorkshire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

What future digital?

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Rod BurkeyPremier Member - Click for more info
Rod Burkey
quotePosted at 09:02 on 27th January 2010

If you have the patience, then doing many back-ups is a fool proof way of making sure those special images are saved.

I had an external drive fail a couple of years ago. It would not switch on & I feared the worst as it had the lion's share of my photographs in it. However, whilst the hard drive would not work, the disc inside still had all the data. My local pc shop (where they build computers to order) soon transferred all the pictures etc into a new external hard drive and all was well. Now I have two external drives plus quite a few RAW files and complete record of places & faces I'll probably never see again. I have no idea what the life span of a DVD or CD might be, but the way all things soon become obsolete, then we'll all be backing our images & files to some new "must have" system before our current way of working ceases to function. I doubt if many now use floppy discs for example and after all, they could not now really cope with the huge size of picture files.  

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Sally Birch
Sally Birch
quotePosted at 17:10 on 27th January 2010

I have two PC's and I keep a copy of my RAW files on the PC I dont use for processing my images. All on photographic work is done on my other PC and I back up my files onto an external harddrive. My files are sorted as follows: Original RAW, work in progress, JPG for POE etc,finished images suitably sized for printing All files are further sorted into year and subject. I just wish I could apply this dedication to preservation to myself. Any ideas welcome!

I use memory sticks for transporting selected files, can't remember when I last saved to CD but I know many people save images of special events to give to friends.

Richard Sellers
Richard Sellers
quotePosted at 17:12 on 27th January 2010
Foot in mouth
Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 23:36 on 12th January 2012
Anthony Vardy's post seems to sum up all the issues of data storage very nicely. I back up both to an external hard disc drive and to DVDs. I do not trust external hard disc drives as much as DVDs because in my experience, external drives can sometimes get corrupted and the data becomes inaccessible. Having said that, DVDs can also deteriorate and the data should be refreshed periodically by copying to another storage medium. I also take the precaution of storing my back-up DVDs at a location different from the PC, in case of fire or theft.
Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 10:40 on 22nd November 2014

I thought I would revive this thread to see how many people now use 'Cloud' storage, where data is stored on multiple web servers at various locations. This seems to be the way things are going, where local storage will give way to web-based storage.

Advantages are numerous.  Access is possible from anywhere, multiple servers give data security, and encryption and password protection of your data gives privacy.

There might be problems in the event of some global catastrophe, but memory sticks and DVDs are unlikely to survive this either. How soon before there is a back-up server on the moon? 

Rod BurkeyPremier Member - Click for more info
Rod Burkey
quotePosted at 16:15 on 22nd November 2014

I use "Cloud" storage plus extrnal hard drives. One feature of Cloud storage is, that when away I can access my images via my wife's iPad as Edward alludes to. 

As for the future, well who knows. Technology makes every purchase almost immediatly obsolate and storage is probably no exception.  

rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 18:32 on 22nd November 2014
I use iCloud storage a lot. Mainly for documents at the moment as it updates them on my iPhone, iPad and MacBook as I alter them, or creat a new document. It's also useful for calendars. I'm just starting to use it for photos, but I always have an EHD backup and I backup a lot of stuff to Picasa Web albums just for storage.
 Please login to post to this thread...