Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

River next to the Mill

Breamore

in the county of Hampshire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Altering your photos

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**
< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Tony Tooth
Tony Tooth
quotePosted at 14:35 on 11th January 2009
On 9th January 2009 15:51, MariaGrazia wrote:
Your website is really interesting, Tony ....do you happen to have anything for the Mac too in your bag of tools?:)

I generally write in BBC BASIC for Windows, which will only work on a Mac running XP (if at all; try it).

I have recently written some versions in C#, which is supposed to be independent of the machine, but you'd have to download and install the (large) ".NET Framework" from Microsoft first. I've just uploaded a C# facility called BMPEffects to my website - you need to follow this link exactly:  http://www.tonytooth.co.uk/BMPEffects.exe

See if it works. Once again you MUST download the (free) ".NET Framework" from Microsoft which is here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=0856eacb-4362-4b0d-8edd-aab15c5e04f5&displaylang=en

By all means, anyone try the BMPEffects facility, and see whether it works OK. You may find it only fits properly on a 1280x1024 display (or bigger). If this turns out to be true, let me know and I'll do a 1024x768 version. 

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Tony Tooth
Tony Tooth
quotePosted at 14:01 on 12th January 2009
I'd just like to add, I'm always on the lookout for ideas for writing new editing/retouching/altering s/w. If anyone has a suggestion for some facility they would like, but which is either not done at all, or is done poorly, in commercially available packages, please feel free to email me, or make a request on this site.
Mick Bean
Mick Bean
quotePosted at 17:24 on 12th January 2009
without looking back at all the posts I would recomend using  http://www.getpaint.net/index.html Its free. it has stuff you can add on and it has a users forum.
MariaGrazia
MariaGrazia
quotePosted at 22:12 on 12th January 2009
Hi Tony, I run XP within Parallels on my Mac. I'm not too happy with installing the NET Framework actually but will give it a try if I can make some space in the partition.
Mark Corby
Mark Corby
quotePosted at 21:28 on 28th January 2009

If your photos a bit dark and you have photoshop  or  photoshop elements 

Try Layers/duplicate layer.

Set the layer mode to screen 100% opacity and repeat or tweak  as nesscessary.
I sell textures on the internet and they obviously have to be top class ,I always edit my photos even if its cropping ,resizing, optimising for net.

No point uploading a huge file that'll tie up your compuer for ages when theres an easy fix.

Often  I'll   deliberateley shoot underexposed knowing  I can fix darkness but a blurred photo is useless.

Just tweaking levels can sometimes give you real noise and horrid oversaturation. this method doesnt and looks far more natural.

Edited by: mark corby at:28th January 2009 21:34
Rod BurkeyPremier Member - Click for more info
Rod Burkey
quotePosted at 11:15 on 29th January 2009

I'm hearing some very good things about Adobe Lightroom from a couple of my chums. They seem to think it does all they need without resorting to Photoshop. As I'm doing a course in Photoshop I'll stick with CS3 as I find it all pretty fascinating but it is rather pricey but there again it's a huge & powerful tool. 

Photographers have always altered their pictures in the darkroom. I know that a certain elite few claimed that they never altered anything not even cropping at all. I am, & never will be able to produce perfect results by just depressing the shutter release even with all the advances the digital cameras are providing. If I tried to just print my shots direct from the camera I fear I'd soon become less involved with photography. I suppose I just love to chase the ultimate dream, a perfect image. It's rather good to chase the impossible!

Ian Manning
Ian Manning
quotePosted at 14:05 on 29th January 2009

Ansel Adams spent huge amounts of time on his prints within the darkroom. Software is just another tool. Ultimately the individual using the software will have a idea on where they want to take the image and whether the results are satisfactory.

Personally as I was brought up on a diet of slides, I tend to concentrate on getting the image how I want it at the taking stage, which nearly always means using additional filters.

As far as I concerned if someone wants to merge multiple images and change the fabric of the image to achieve an image which gives them pleasure, well thats just fine.

Rod BurkeyPremier Member - Click for more info
Rod Burkey
quotePosted at 15:56 on 29th January 2009

I too took many slides and got a lot of pleasure from them. We took a few holidays in the Greek Islands and the light was just incredible making the Kodachrome ISO rating of 25 perfect. It's great to end up with a well saturated slide. Although I use Photoshop more & more I try to keep the process simple as the end result should be looking not too false in my view.  

Going back to slides, I can't really say I miss the hot projectors, the popping slides and the risk of feally boring others with "just a couple hundred shots" of Ios, Allonissos, et al. Now I put the slides in my scanner and try not to fiddle too much once the image pops up on the computer screen and any slide shows on dvd tend to last a maximum of ten minutes and even then I am wary about boring people. So I'd better end this post....  

lancashirelove
lancashirelove
quotePosted at 13:34 on 21st February 2009
On 21st August 2008 23:00, Mick Bean wrote:

Do you alter or adjust your photos in any way before posting them on POE.

If you do is it cheating?

hi Mick, todays photo's are now refered to as images. i think the final picture decides its status. Its good in one way that its giving everyday people a chance to creat an interesting image with the most basic knowledge of photography. i used to be a Photographer in my RAF days and even then we used 'tricks' in the dark-room to present photo's of interest. We used to say the camera never lies, but indeed it does. Now with digital photography anything can be made interesting, which in my opinion is a good thing. as long as we are true to the presentation and dont really add to what is not there in the first place and remember on this site that it should represent our beloved England.
lancashirelove
lancashirelove
quotePosted at 14:38 on 21st February 2009
On 22nd August 2008 06:59, . . wrote:
No I don't alter any of my pictures, I just choose the best ones and upload them, to remove double chins Roses just use the 'clone' brush in the programme and do it that way lol
You'd make an absolute fortune in Harley street, removing double chins,lol
 Please login to post to this thread...
< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8