Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Guildford - Surrey

Guildford

in the county of Surrey

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Altering your photos

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Ruth Gregory
Ruth Gregory
quotePosted at 18:23 on 3rd January 2009

Hi Lyn: Thanks!!  Yes, don't I wish.  It's in County Galway in Ireland.  That's the shot my DH was in.  I wanted photographic evidence to dispute his claim that he's not Irish.  But then again, getting back to the topic of altering photos, I guess there's no such thing as photographic evidence anymore.  lol

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Mark Corby
Mark Corby
quotePosted at 21:41 on 4th January 2009

I always alter my photos just to correct levels etc usually and crop and resize it normally.Im pretty familiar with photoshop elements being as I sell textures on a well known 3d site.

For textures you need totally even lighting which invariably means a cloudy day with bad light.

I dont see anything wrong with making it better, its the end result that counts after all.Could be why some of my pics are perspective corrected etc

Mark Corby
Mark Corby
quotePosted at 21:55 on 4th January 2009
If your photo looks a bit flat and dull click new dupicate layer , set the mode to overlay and play around with the opacity slider.Flatten image and save.
Rod BurkeyPremier Member - Click for more info
Rod Burkey
quotePosted at 18:22 on 5th January 2009

Good tip Mark. Just tried it & it worked well.

Thank you. 

Tony Tooth
Tony Tooth
quotePosted at 15:04 on 9th January 2009

I always ''alter'' my photos. Sometimes just a little, sometimes to an almost ridiculous degree, depending on how I feel or what I want to do. After all, the camera records a 2 dimensional depiction in one diorection only of a 3D world, and all cameras and optics are imperfect to start with. Plus, the settings on an SLR are somewhat arbitrary according to taste. So, to not alter photos further on account of some idea of ''cheating'' I find rather silly.

Being a mathemetician, and a reasonably good s/w writer, I also dream up my own weird alterations which cannot be done at all in Photoshop, or any of the other commercially available packages which I don't possess anyway. Most sharpening/contrast/saturation/grey-scale alterations I do are made with my own home-made software, so it does exactly what I want it to do according to the underlying rather complicated mathematics. 

MariaGrazia
MariaGrazia
quotePosted at 15:51 on 9th January 2009
On 5th January 2009 18:22, Rod Burkey wrote:

Good tip Mark. Just tried it & it worked well.

Thank you. 

Yep, so did I. I liked it!

These are two of my fave books on the subject: 

Scott Kelby's 7-Point System for Adobe Photoshop and The Adobe Photoshop CS3 Book for Digital Photographers 

A clever avatar, Rod ;-)

Your website is really interesting, Tony ....do you happen to have anything for the Mac too in your bag of tools?:)

Richard Sellers
Richard Sellers
quotePosted at 17:05 on 9th January 2009

Wow and Hello Maria

Richard Sellers
Richard Sellers
quotePosted at 17:05 on 9th January 2009
DONT KNOW HOW I JUST DID THAT
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 17:39 on 9th January 2009
Your fingers hit the wrong key on the pad Rick!
Rod BurkeyPremier Member - Click for more info
Rod Burkey
quotePosted at 18:35 on 9th January 2009

Thanks for the comment about my avator Maria.

I have a book called "Top 100 Simplified Tips & Tricks - Adobe Photoshop CS3" which is rather good to refer to when I start to wonder how to treat a shot. Plus, with me, I have to learn by my mistakes and try things a few times before anything seeps into my ever decreasing number of grey cells.