Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Bridgend looking towards Garw valley

Bridgend

in the county of Bridgend

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

My equipment

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**
< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

quote | editPosted at 15:57 on 7th October 2008
Anyone have experience with Canon's Powershot G7 or G9? I'm considering their latest G10 for use as a relatively lightweight and full featured camera for backpacking and backcountry adventures?
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 08:35 on 8th October 2008
Hi Robert and a belated welcome from me.  With the G9, keep it ISO 400  or lower as higher Iso's get noisey and colour saturation also drops off quite noticably.  The G10 at quick glance seems a better deal. If size isn't critical and for a bit more, 2 D-slr's of theirs might be a better option---the Digital Rebel XS  or the Digital Rebel XSi.

quote | editPosted at 15:29 on 8th October 2008

Hi Paul,
Thanks for your reply and recommendation.
I will look closer at the SLRs. I used to pack a Nikon F2A along on adventures, but with lenses and accessories I was adding nearly a stone to my pack. Now I find myself shaving grams wherever possible.
Thanks again.
Cheers
Robert 

Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 15:48 on 8th October 2008

You're welcome robert;  know what you mean----my F3 and MD-4 motordrive alone always reminded me how solid  35mm Nikons were built!  The D3 bought this year seems to carry on the tradition!  Those entry level Canon d-srls are surpringly very good---put pro  L series lenses on them and they're incredible.Second hand---the 20D and 30D are both excellent and my 30D print to A3  20 x 16 " amazingly well for 8 megs. Perrty much everything else around here is Nikon though. ( pronounced with a short  i  over here;  not the long i US version---or Japanese  Nee-kon.)

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 16:34 on 8th October 2008
Crikey, whats all that about.....glad I haven't got a camera!!

quote | editPosted at 18:33 on 8th October 2008

Ron you don't know what you're missing until you're lugging around a heavy kit of camera gear, only to have just missed a great action shot of your kid's antics as you sort through all the gear ...

One of my friends bought a new top of the line Minolta SLR for a climbing trip on the Isle of Skye. We were taking a rest on a narrow ledge after abseiling off a cliff and he decided it was a great time for a group pic. While fumbling to attach a lens he dropped the camera (having failed to loop the neck strap over his head). We heard it crashing through the fog on the cliff face until the pieces eventually landed on a snow field - OUCH! ... The experience cured me of carrying carrying more than just a camera. Despite the loss, the rest of the trip was quite grand!

Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 18:37 on 8th October 2008
I can see where you might be slightly confused Ron, as Robert's former camera was actually an FA2; an advanced in it's day, 35mm camera along the lines of my FE2, as computers started to creep into older Nikormat type cameras, as these newer models came out. Must be getting tricky for you Ron to get film for your Kodak 620 Pocket Autographic camera, as is 127 film for my 4 x 4 baby Rollieflex of 1963?
Alan Marron
Alan Marron
quotePosted at 11:28 on 9th October 2008
Ah the days of grainy old 127 film in my little old box camera.  Don't atart me hankering for the 'good old days' Paul, please.  Thye advent of digital has made photography so much easier in many ways.  I remember that the first time I covered the Town Gala for the paper, I had to dash into Boots', grab a couple of single use cameras, rush back in before closing to leave them for processing.  Then it was a mad dash to try and getthem to the editor on time!  Of corse, there's a certain nostalgia that sticks to the old film cameras like cling-film, and I think even I tend to sometimes viewthose times through my favourite 'rose tinted specs'  What memories!
Rafal Bartkowiak
Rafal Bartkowiak
quotePosted at 16:07 on 23rd March 2009

Hello to everyone.

I make a pictures from a few months but I still try to put myself on higher level.At the moment my gallery is empty but soon I start put pictures in there.

I have a dslr Sony Alpha 100 with lens 3.5-5.6/18-70 which is standart to this camera plus tripod Velbon DV 7000.
Regards to all.

Edited by: Rafal Bartkowiak at:23rd March 2009 16:28
 Please login to post to this thread...
< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8