Emsworth

in the county of Hampshire

Matlock Bath, Derbyshire: Illuminations

Matlock Bath

in the county of Derbyshire

Standedge Tunnel, Marsden

Marsden

in the county of West Yorkshire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Can you put a name to the following locations for Robert?

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

rustyruth
rustyruth
Posted at 14:54 on 16th February 2013
I'm struggling with the other two, I'm thinking the first one with the B & B (and dog) might be Mousehole, but things have changed so much since the shots were taken I can't be 100 per cent sure.

Edited by: rustyruth at:16th February 2013 14:55
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Dave John
Dave John
Posted at 15:28 on 16th February 2013

1168866 I am fairly certain is Penzance.

Just noted that Ruth beat me to it but 2 votes is better than 1

Edited by: Dave John at:16th February 2013 15:29
Dave John
Dave John
Posted at 15:43 on 16th February 2013

1168861 not sure on this one but could quite easily be Mousehole.....some very narrow streets there, but that can be said of a lot of the villages in the area. Tried Googling Harbour View B&B but can't find one in Mousehole, but of course it depends how long ago the photo was taken as it could well be back to a private property now. There is a Harbour View in Newlyn but on a much wider road. Maybe if Robert can remember some of the places he visited we might be able to come up some more suggestions

As to the country lane absolutely no idea....not really enough information in the image to help identification

rustyruth
rustyruth
Posted at 16:34 on 16th February 2013
I found the B & B in Newlyn as well Dave and discounted it as the streets in Newlyn appear much wider than in the photo. Another thought was Port Isaac, the house on the hill looks familiar to me from somewhere. 
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
Posted at 18:43 on 16th February 2013
One down, two to go...
Dave John
Dave John
Posted at 19:03 on 16th February 2013

Cor, I bet that took a bit of working out RonWink

I'm sure we will suss the street one but not so sure about the more scenic one. Hopefully Robert might be able to give a clue as to some of the plces they visited and maybe even when???

What we need is anexpert on the south west.........now who could that be I wonder ??

rustyruth
rustyruth
Posted at 19:51 on 16th February 2013

I think we're going to really struggle with the scenic one unless Robert has a bit of an idea where he might have been. 

I was wondering if the shots were taken in sequence or whether they are just random pictures of places he's lost track of over the years.

In sequence would be more helpful Smile but I know it's virtually impossible to keep prints in order unlike digital. 

Vince Hawthorn
Vince Hawthorn
Posted at 21:52 on 16th February 2013

I have already put some info on the Penzance shot as a comment and agree with the already posted answers, Ruth says the domed building is the Lloyds Bank, this is housed at the other end to where we can see, I think at the end behind Sir Humphrey Davy is the old Market House and now houses a Gallery.

The guest house shot my first thoughts were Newlyn being not so far away but am not so sure about that one, not sure about Mousehole either. I am probably tottally wrong but with the very steep hillside behind my gut feeling is Polperro.

The remaing shot is going to be a real stinker to track down I think.

Dave John
Dave John
Posted at 22:15 on 16th February 2013

Polperro is a good shout mate. Very narrow and 99.999999999% car free because of the narrow streets.

But as I said earlier there are lots of places in that vicinity which fill that bill

we definitely need a few more clues from Robert cos this one is solvable but the third one very doubtful

Vince Hawthorn
Vince Hawthorn
Posted at 23:42 on 16th February 2013

Still no idea about the rural shot but it does have more of a Devon feel to the rolling countryside. Also , I am not sure if the colour is just because of the age of the shot but if the road is really that red in colour that again would put it into Devon probably south of Dartmoor, maybe one for Pat or Marjorie.

Not going to help a lot but the area must have acid soil as there is a rhododendron there.

Edited by: Vince Hawthorn at:17th February 2013 10:56