Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Aldwych

Westminster

in the county of Greater London

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Football . Love it? Hate it ?

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next >

Mick Covell
Mick Covell
quotePosted at 04:05 on 13th November 2008
I read with interest some of the comments about the European Championships this summer . I agree with many of the opinions aired in that forum . The wages payed to footballers these days are obscene and the average fan is priced out of the game . There is though an alternative ! There are literally hundreds of small teams out there . My own team was Scarborough FC who fell foul of the taxman and seriously bad management and were subsequently wound up . They have however been resurected in the form of Scarborough Athletic and are now going strong in the North Counties East League . Players at this level are part time . They hold down full time jobs and play for the love of the game . This is where the true spirit of English football lives on . The standard of football may not be as good as that you see on the tv ( if you can afford the subscription fees ) and there are no replays to be had when your standing shivering on the terraces , but you cant beat the excitement of a truly live game . One of my fondest memories is standing on the terraces at the McCain Stadium watching Scarborough on a freezing cold saturday afternoon in Febuary . Absoloutly chiled to the bone and thrilled to the very core of my being at the same time . It hardly mattered that it was an awful game and that my team squandered a lead and total superiorty for the most of the game to concede a late equalizer . I'm hooked , a lost cause .  I love the game .
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Roses
Roses
quotePosted at 05:26 on 13th November 2008
I can tolerate it.  DH loves it though!  As for american football though, i DETEST it.....thankfully DH does not understand it and has no want to....  Laughing
Mick Covell
Mick Covell
quotePosted at 05:41 on 13th November 2008
I have tried to watch American Football and I just get lost after about two minutes . Everyone tells me it used to be a much better game.... I'll take their word for it !
Shirley K. Lawson
Shirley K. Lawson
quotePosted at 07:40 on 13th November 2008
Depends on whom I'm playing it with...smiles* OK, my son played it in his freshman year in High School, our friends that we grew up, "Patrick" played football, I can remember those days of helping the guys out and getting carried across their lawn,....OK, dragged across their lawn. I like the superbowl specials and the play-off games, but got to much to do otherwise, to see every game played on TV. My kids are more into ATV's right now and Baseball (Little League).
Karen Pugh
Karen Pugh
quotePosted at 07:49 on 13th November 2008
Can't stand the game.
L
L
quotePosted at 08:08 on 13th November 2008
HATE it, a load of overpaid posers.Nuff said.
Peter Evans
Peter Evans
quotePosted at 11:13 on 13th November 2008
I cant stand football. Maybe because I come from Wales, where the men are men and the sheep run scarred, I like rugby.

quote | editPosted at 12:44 on 13th November 2008

I’m not a great follower of football, I hate premier league football, like Lyn G says, overpaid posers. I do kind of follow Grimsby Town FC seen as it’s the town I was born, a few years ago I went to a football game, my son and sister made me go, it was Grimsby v Norwich City at Norwich, although I live in Norwich I was there supporting Grimsby, I tried so hard to get out of going but I have to say it was a fantastic experience, I loved it, once is enough though, it gets blooming freezing stood still for all that time.

Cathy E.
Cathy E.
quotePosted at 13:23 on 13th November 2008
I don't usually watch sports at all but I think they are way over paid. Wish I got paid to be a homemaker! I think I am worth $200,000.00 a year! Esp. considering my job is 24/7! Laughing
Peter Evans
Peter Evans
quotePosted at 13:34 on 13th November 2008
Only $200,000,00 a year Cathy? A housewife is worth more than that. And those posers get that for one game. Sheesh.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next >