Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Hallsands, Start Bay, Devon

Hallsands

in the county of Devon

Sandown Beach appartments on left hand side and Pier - March 2009

Sandown

in the county of Isle of Wight

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Your favourite places in England.

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

PirateDuchess
PirateDuchess
quotePosted at 23:05 on 8th November 2007

I adore London from the first time i visited it, but since have seen other places and love all the old Tudor houses in places such as Stratford and Canterbury.

My favorite place in England sofar though is the magnificent Arundel Castle which I've visited twice and i will go back for sure.

Another favorite is the Tower of London for sheer historical reasons. 

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Anita Jeffery
Anita Jeffery
quotePosted at 15:26 on 9th November 2007
My favourite places in England would be Warwickshire where I live, it has so many beautiful and historical  places to visit, and the magnificent Cotswolds, it's like stepping back in time.
Jean Rawlinson
Jean Rawlinson
quotePosted at 19:16 on 9th November 2007

My favourite places in England are:

1) The North Yorkshire Moors and villages. The moors are beautiful in the summer but change their hue as we enter into Autumn; winter brings the snow, and the moors change yet again into white sculptures; dangerous but beautiful none the less. York and its beautiful Minster - it must surely be the inspiration for 'Diagon Alley' in the Harry Potter books!The village of West Scrafton is especially beautiful and well worth a visit.

2) The rugged coastline of Cornwall - something for everyone there. Quaint seaside villages, beautiful rolling countryside, the wild Atlantic, giving off the prismatic light that makes St. Ives so special for the artists; no wonder they feel inspired!

3) Oxford - home of acadaemia and the 'dreaming spires'. Exceptionally beautiful in any season. Morse lovers heaven!

4) The Lake District. Home of the late, great Beatrix Potter. No visit to the Lakes would be the same without a visit to her home, 'Hilltop'. Hawes,(maybe I should have put this in my Yorkshire bit) is also very lovely - try and visit the  Wensleydale cheese place - you may sample all the beautiful variations of Wensleydale and purchase your favourite. I put Hawes in this section as we always visit when we go up to the lakes - Muker is also lovely.

Paul Higgins
Paul Higgins
quotePosted at 04:19 on 10th November 2007
Impossible! How can a true Englishman really answer this! From the smallest village, with it's quirky and eccentric inhabitants to the grandest palaces and castles, from the council estates that issue forth the backbone of England to the country seats of the gentry all of England is my favourite place. (forgive my poetic licence- we should all be prouder than we are of our ancient heritage.)
Lawrence Davis
Lawrence Davis
quotePosted at 05:24 on 21st November 2007

My Great Grandparents on both sides came out to Australia in the 1800's, including my G.G.Grandfather who was exported to Tasmania as a convict for stealing Mrs Worthingtons goose. So whenever I get a chance to go to the UK for a holiday, the one thing I look forward to, is feeling / smelling / and standing on British soil. Because to me, I am returning home, even though I am a 4th generation Australian.

I am now doing my homework for my 4th trip back, so if I have to name a favourite above everything, then I would put anywhere in Yorkshire... ( especially York ).   Next I would put Herefordshire, especially Ludlow.   And then there is Wales and Scotland. But they are another story.

England, I miss you. Cry

poePremier Member - Click for more info
poe
quotePosted at 17:01 on 22nd November 2007
On 21st November 2007 05:24, Lawrence Davis wrote:

England, I miss you. Cry

Hi Lawrence. I hope this site goes a little way to making you feel closer to home. Thanks for sharing some of your family history. Always interesting to read.
Glyn Jones
Glyn Jones
quotePosted at 17:02 on 29th November 2007
I firsty must thank Ian Gedge for his kind remarks about my picture of Ashness Bridge in the Lake District. Although I live in Norfolk which is a beautiful part of Englanf. My heart isin the Lake District. I have spent many happy times time walking in the fells with my son Martin and trying to capture the beauty in my camera. Happy days. I say to all get out of your cars and walk.
Ian Gedge
Ian Gedge
quotePosted at 12:46 on 2nd December 2007
Hi, I  have just added the picture by Glyn Jones (mentioned in the previous post) to the "my favourite pictures" thread as this photo made me realise that the lake district is a place I really must visit when I get the opportunity,
Mary Quintois
Mary Quintois
quotePosted at 23:17 on 1st January 2008
I have lots of favorite places but the one place...Hilton Castle in County Durham...is not on this website.  It must be off the beaten path?  MarySmile
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 08:52 on 2nd January 2008

Hi Mary, welcome to a great website.

Now there's a challenge for us!

Which POE member will be the first to get some photograph's of Hilton Castle for Mary? I suspect somebody will submit photographs before the end of next week. Either way, have a great time looking around the website Mary, there really is so much to see ~ it kinda gets you hooked!!

Regards

Ron