Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Your favourite places in England.

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 21:58 on 25th March 2008
OK, so the leaves are a little more pointy than my leaves. Maybe it's in the garlic family, as it's awful close.
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Andy Edwards
Andy Edwards
quotePosted at 22:00 on 25th March 2008
I'm now 95.647 percent sure it's salad burnet, a wild herb. Latin name sanguisorba minor...if it's not, it has to be very closely related. Does the smell of cucumber come to mind Sue?
Andy Edwards
Andy Edwards
quotePosted at 22:02 on 25th March 2008
Thanks so much for I.D.ing the duck Sue, much appreciated.
Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 22:54 on 25th March 2008

Oh Andy, this is a hard one.

This plant was definitely creeping and not upright. If I can describe the scent, it was more a sharp, astringent smell.

I think I will open a new thread as I hate to take over the topic of Favourite Pictures.

OK, it's under England & Travel   Off Topic titled Sue's mystery plant

Phil Jobson
Phil Jobson
quotePosted at 05:12 on 3rd April 2008

It is now 12 months since I was in the UK for the first time. After spending 9 weeks driving hither and thither what favourites spring to mind?.....London, what can one say? Perhaps the smaller houses rather than the palaces: Handel House Museum, Dr. Johnson's house, Keats House all gave a sense of everyday life albeit of extraordinary people.

Rievaulx Abbey in Yorkshire: late in the afternoon with nobody else about: very tranquil and peaceful.

Whitby: a wonderful place to spend a day. The Abbey; and especially for an Aussie, the Captain Cook connections; and fish and chips for lunch at the Magpie Cafe.

Chepstow Castle in Wales: stunning stone walls in a stunning location clinging to the banks of the River Wye.

The Lakes: Windemere, Ullswater (Aira force: can anyone enlighten me about the "money tree"?) and especially Coniston Water for an Arthur Ransome fan way back when ("better drowned than duffers, if not duffers won't drown").

Castle Rising in Norfolk: on a cold, wet day in March. The geyness of the day added to the overall experience at this incredibly atmospheric and majestic keep.

I could go on and on.I have become besotted by ruined castles and ruined abbeys .It is all truly wonderful.

Jen Strath
Jen Strath
quotePosted at 07:20 on 3rd April 2008
On 24th March 2008 07:41, Andy Edwards wrote:
..........and how your childhood shapes your adult life. That's why we have favourite places I reckon.....I visit mine (on my own, importantly) every time my work takes me to the Portsmouth area...and I am so pleased to say it's much the same as it was in the 60s, 70s and 80s. What a pity the world has moved on. Andy.

Andy I agree that your childhood shapes your life...but I never set foot in England until my early 30's.....there's just nowhere else in the world I'd rather be...roll on June & I'll be back in Alresford  Smile
Andy Edwards
Andy Edwards
quotePosted at 08:05 on 9th April 2008
  Is it the Arlesford in Essex? Or the New Alresford in Hampshire Jen? You'll have to forgive the late reply, work is getting in the way of my leisure!!
Jen Strath
Jen Strath
quotePosted at 09:44 on 9th April 2008
That's be the Hampshire one....Smile 
MariaGrazia
MariaGrazia
quotePosted at 11:26 on 9th April 2008

Granted that I've never been anywhere northern than the Midlands (yet), my favourite places are London, Torquay and The Cotswolds. 

I can only answer to that with a tourist's eyes though; blank boards with no memories of the past and with a vision on the present only, and that makes any selection particularly hard whenever it comes to such a large amount of beauties. 

But locals (and ex-locals) can rely on the power of memories too, and whose colours, sounds and scents are able to trigger links and associations for them that  see beyond the mere, actual look or state of a place. 

I know how that feels like and maybe for that , I'm a bit jealous too :).

Ciao,

MG

Andy Edwards
Andy Edwards
quotePosted at 12:04 on 9th April 2008
I can understand your love of the place then Jen. I love that area, with Winchester not far away and Alton too. I was born 30 or so miles away from there and it's an area I miss. If you get the chance, take a look at Buriton, near Petersfield...if it hasn't changed it will be a nice place to visit. There's a village pond and a really nice little pub there, and the Hartings are always worth a look...South Harting in particular I remember, lovely wooded areas and cosy little villages within easy reach. Andy.