Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

St Andrews Church a Ruin, at Roudham, Norfolk

Roudham

in the county of Norfolk

A picture of Bardney

Bardney

in the county of Lincolnshire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Met all expectations

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Brenda Harvey
Brenda Harvey
quotePosted at 06:08 on 19th April 2011

My son took me on my dream vacation to England last October. He knew I had wanted to travel there since I was a child. My mother's side of the family had British roots and I had been looking at photos and reading about England as long as I can remember. Although I've traveled a lot in the US, it was always by car or bus. I had never flown anywhere let alone overseas. My son was doubtful I'd actually get on the plane, but I did and it was much better than I expected. We traveled Virgin Atlantic and it was no problem for me at all. I just kept telling myself I was on a bus. We landed at Heathrow and a car was waiting to take us to Burford in the Cotswolds. We spent five days at the Lamb Inn on Sheep Street. It was exactly how I imagined a country town in England to be. Two ladies traveled with us who go every year so they helped us get around. The Lamb Inn staff was so friendly and the inn itself is lovely. The gardens were beautiful with flowers and greenery. I spent every morning and evening there. My room, the Violet, was perfect. Each night we sat by the fire in the lounge and had a Guiness. I don't ever drink alcohol so that was unusual for me. I had to have the half pint. Couldn't handle a pint. Each morning we had breakfast in town at Huffkin's. The staff there was so accommodating as well. We explored all the shops on High Street. What I found so appealing was the kindness of everyone we came in contact with. Even in the bank the tellers were a pleasure to speak to. I love history and antiques so I especially enjoyed the age of the buildings and antique shops. I walked into one of the stores and felt like I was on the set of the British comedy "Are you Being Served" that I always loved watching. A very nice lady who worked there engaged me in conversation about the difference between British and American washing machines. She felt American ones agitated less and were easier on clothes. I don't know if that's the case or not. She went on to tell me about a mishap her mum had with a pressure cooker and a beet root. She was just so charming to talk to.

As much as I hated to leave Burford, we were to spend the next five days in London. We stayed at the Egerton in Knightsbridge. A very nice hotel with an extremely helpful staff. I think my favorite time in London was riding in the top of a bus just getting on and off wherever we decided to. We, of course, saw all the usual sites. Absolutely stunning architecture everywhere you looked. One night was Phantom of the Opera which I had seen in New York, but wanted to see in London. I was unfortunately hit with a cold bug that day and couldn't enjoy it as much as I would have liked. Whatever I bought at the chemist's really worked, though, and I was better for the rest of the trip. I had always wanted to stand on Westminister Bridge where William Wordsworth wrote his poem, 'Ode to Westminister Bridge." I was able to do that and my son took my photo there. It was wonderful. 

I cannot say enough about the people of England. In London as well as Burford, everyone was so courteous and just a joy to talk to. No one became impatient with me if I was slow to get out the right coins or had to ask what something was on the menu. I wish I could say the same about people in America, but somehow I don't see the same hospitality here. I hope I'm wrong. 

My son and I are planning to return to England in Fall of 2012. We're hoping to stay at the Lamb again and possibly take a trip to Wales for a day or so. My son gave me a gift that I will cherish forever and I am so grateful to him and to the people of England for making it all that I expected it to be. 

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 07:33 on 19th April 2011

I am so glad you shared your holiday experiences with us and had a wonderful time in England.  Thanks Brenda.

It sounds as though it really worked for you because you weren't rushing around trying to see everything in your short time there but were able to more thoroughly explore Burford and London and get a real feel for the places.

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 12:25 on 19th April 2011

Wow, what a gift indeed! You obviously had a great time Brenda.

Don't forget to help support POE by booking your accommodation securely online for the next trip if you are able to. As a well known supermarket chain might say...every little helps! See http://www.picturesofengland.com/hotels/ for more details and thank you in anticipation.

Diana Sinclair
Diana Sinclair
quotePosted at 18:03 on 19th April 2011
Wow, Brenda, I felt like I was there with you! I am so glad that your first experience in England was so great!
Ruth Gregory
Ruth Gregory
quotePosted at 23:27 on 23rd April 2011

Thanks for the lovely account of your trip, Brenda.  It sounds great. 

Funny you should mention the difference between Britiah and American washing machines.  Both times we were over there, we rented a holiday apartment for a week (mainly because I wanted to wash clothes), and the places we stayed had machines that were washer and dryer all in one.  But they take hours to complete the cycle.  The first time I used it I put the clothes in around dinner time, and then laid in bed awake all night because I could hear it running and running and running and I was sure I'd broken it.  lol

Brenda Harvey
Brenda Harvey
quotePosted at 03:22 on 24th April 2011
Glad you enjoyed my story, Ruth. My son had to tear me away from Burford. I was starting to look for a flat and employment opportunities. I told him they wanted someone in the shoe store and the post office so he said it was definitely time to get me to London. I honestly never met so many nice people in my life.

quote | editPosted at 21:30 on 22nd May 2011
Yesterday I started looking for information about Burford as we have not been there.  Pleased to have found your account Brenda, will go there this summer.
Brenda Harvey
Brenda Harvey
quotePosted at 04:12 on 23rd May 2011
Glad you found my story, Mick. Burford is well worth the visit. Just a lovely place. I only wish I could go this summer as well!
Jason T
Jason T
quotePosted at 16:16 on 23rd May 2011

wow glad you had a good time!!

You need to try the north next time too!! some equally beautiful places!! Laughing

Linda-mary Sigley
Linda-mary Sigley
quotePosted at 01:20 on 19th October 2011
Thank you Brenda for such a great story of your trip.  See I found your story after you told me where to look.  I felt the same way about England and English people.  I was in the north most of the time so now want to see south.  Definitely the kindest folks I've ever known.  Also the most beautiful country.