Lyme Regis

a Seaside Town in the county of Dorset

Birmingham Botanical Gardens

Edgbaston

in the county of West Midlands

Gordale Scar. Malham Cove, North Yorkshire

Malham

in the county of North Yorkshire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Tea in London

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**
1 2 3 4 5 Next >

Ricardo Malagueño
Ricardo Malagueño
quotePosted at 15:00 on 14th May 2008

Some years ago I watched a tv show on the late Travel Channel about things to do in London and I remember one episode where the host had tea at a house that the lady owner (a regular housewife) had prepared and served. He explained that there were houses of individuals who offer the traditional English tea to foreign visitors, including all the treats that the "ceremony" requires, as it was done in the past, when people lived unworried and spent time to enjoy it.

Does anyone know places in London where this is done? Remember: NOT commercial shops/restaurants/tea houses/hotels but homes of common people where tea is served by the owner (of course visitors have to pay, it is not a free invitation).

Have you ever heard of this? How can I find/contact them?

Thank you

Ricardo
Santa Fe, Argentina

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 16:12 on 14th May 2008
I wonder if Boris knows, but I certainly don't. Write to the office of The Lord Mayor of London Ricardo (Boris Johnson). I'm sure he will be thrilled, you never know he might invite you in!
Ricardo Malagueño
Ricardo Malagueño
quotePosted at 16:28 on 14th May 2008

I have posted this question in other forums... and people call me crazy because nobody ever heard of it. Even old Londoners answer that never knew about something like this and send me to the Ritz instead. Of course I would like to do it, but I refuse to pay 100 dollars for a simple cup of tea and a scone.

Ron: do you mean the Mayor of the city himself???? Do you think he will read (and answer) such a question? I really dare not write to him, they will think it's a joke!!!

Thank you anyway

Ricardo

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 18:26 on 14th May 2008
Yes Ricardo I do mean write to him, and I bet he responds. He has recently taken up office and will be wanting to answer all questions about London. Try it, you have nothing to lose.
L
L
quotePosted at 20:16 on 14th May 2008
Hi Ricardo, welcome! Sorry to say I have no idea either so cant help, and I cant say 'but I know a man that can' though as Ron dont know either LOL
Andy Edwards
Andy Edwards
quotePosted at 19:37 on 17th May 2008
I think I'll ask him if he knows where his traffic wardens are hiding. If he doesn't, I'll tell him. They're hiding down alleyways while you park and then as soon as you're around the corner they slap a ticket on your windscreen, the dirty little unmentionables. Still, I suppose it's only fair we pay even more to visit Slumdon, I mean, £8.00 to get in doesn't seem enough, does it? Especially in places like Westminster, they can hardly make ends meet. As far as having tea goes, it ought to be included in the price. I'd gladly pay £8.00 to get out of the place. Strike a light me old China.
L
L
quotePosted at 21:18 on 17th May 2008
It's odd really, I live only 30mins away (or maybe 4hour 45mins if | go on motorway lol) from the centre of London but I never seem to go there now.
Andy Edwards
Andy Edwards
quotePosted at 21:33 on 17th May 2008
I used to love London Lyn.........I don't anymore. Delivering to the centre is absolutely impossible with the very silly red route, congestion charge (hasn't made any difference) bus lanes (£120.00 fine if you stray into one) CCTV everywhere to watch you park and stray into aforesaid bus lanes, mopeds, pushbikes, tatty old wagons and taxis that run on horse manure or similar, judging by the smoke and smell, elasticated buses with untrained drivers from Taiwan, New Delhi and Kingston (Jamaica, not London), businesses with 'courier rooms' that are impossible to find and even more impossible to get to, to name but a few things. It's an unbelievable hotch potch, badly organised (Good luck Boris!) smelly, potholed, chaotic, rip off centre of the world...need I say more? To summarise, I hate it.    Tea anyone?
L
L
quotePosted at 21:41 on 17th May 2008
Those are probably the reasons I dont go anymore Andy, I could go on the train, takes 20mins from here where I live but I dont bother with that either. The last time I passed through London was when I was going to Gatwick Airport last year, I catch the train and its a straight run, no changing, easier than driving and worked out the same price....and no hassle.
Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 22:59 on 17th May 2008

Had Recardo asked this but a few years ago, he'd been more than welcome to visit our former Edwardian home in the London suburbs where my Mum in law served tea every afternoon, as she wheeled in her various Edwardian and Victorian items of tea service into the Victorian furnished drawing room. Not only would he have been seemingly transported back some 100 years by a very traditional North Yorkshire lady, it wouldn't have cost Recardo a penny. I had no idea there were people that would charge for this type of thing.

1 2 3 4 5 Next >