Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Swanage Dorset

Swanage

a Seaside Town in the county of Dorset

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Larter clan

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

David Turley
David Turley
quotePosted at 20:17 on 5th March 2012
I checked that site but nothing came up. Thank you - dt
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 20:20 on 5th March 2012

You could try this one at Findmypast - as I said you might need to pay to get the information but it does have a pay as you go facility.

This should take you to the 1911 Census for Larters in Colchester

http://www.findmypast.co.uk/CensusPersonSearchResultServlet?censusYear=1911 

Edited by: cathyml at:5th March 2012 20:20
David Turley
David Turley
quotePosted at 23:28 on 5th March 2012
I'll give this one a try. Thank you - David
Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 00:43 on 6th March 2012

Queenie Gertrude Eileen Larter was born in Kilburn, north London; the only one of her parent's children that were. Her two older sisters were born in Ipswich, Suffolk, and her younger siblings in Colchester, Essex. 

Her father, Pembroke Larter ( a bespoke tailor) was born in Raweel Pindar, India in 1872 ( today is  Rawalpindi, Punjab, Pakistan). Was his father in the Army? Her mother Gertrude Scott came from Halstead in Essex. Married in Ipswich, Essex in 1898 to -----Percy Pembroke Larter (forenames reversed in record).

Edited by: Paul Hilton at:6th March 2012 10:58
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 00:59 on 6th March 2012

Queenie turns up on two 1911 Census's which is interesting. She's also with her Grandparents as well !!  They are Pembroke Larter born 1837 in Suffolk; a retired army pensioner. So which Regiment was he in in India and the UK too?  Her grandma is Amelia Sparling born in Limerick, Ireland 1847 and married c.1870. I'd guess Pembroke was their eldest son when he was born in India.

Pembroke of 1837 parents were--Elijah Larter; born Middleton Suffolk in 1811, and  Mary Ann Smith, born 1806 in Suffolk.

Pembroke of 1872 has two younger sisters both born in Ipswich, Essex----Alice 1877 and Jane in 1879. So, the Larter's had returned from India sometime between 1872 and 1877. After retiring from the Army, Pembroke then ran an inn--The Dove Tavern, St Helen's St, Ipswich, Essex until the very early 1900s. He died in Ipswich 3 June,1912 leaving an Estate of £1,747 to his wife Amelia. Prior to joining the army, he'd been a fisherman.

Pembroke had joined the British Army, 6th March, 1854 of the 70th Foot Regiment; Surrey. By 1861 he was a Corporal serving in both New Zealand and India. He retired 5th Oct 1875 at Aldershot, Surrey army camp as a Sergeant of the same Reg't.( promoted 1 Sept. 1869) having served  just over 20 years of which 4 years in NZ and 10 years in India.

He received several medals---Good Conduct, Long Service, for service in India and New Zealand War Medal. His commanding officer in the 70th Foot Reg't was Lt. W Smith.

Edited by: Paul Hilton at:6th March 2012 02:54
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 01:24 on 6th March 2012

In the Spring of 1923, Queenie married William J Turley at Colchester, Essex. On 21 Sept 1923, Queenie departed Southampton for New York on board the Orca, travelling without her husband ???? Odd. But, by 1930 they were both living in San Francisco and on 12 Aug. 1940 she was living on 44th St. when she applied to be a Naturalised US citizen.

Your Larter family is well entrenched in Suffolk, if we start with Samuel Larter, b. 1 May 1726 at Hepworth, Suffolk; your very Gt Granddad who married your very Gt Grandma, Mary Vaugh, born 1730, Suffolk. Then--Samuel Larter b. 1757; Robert Larter 1787-1841; then Elijah who had 11 other children besides Pembroke.

Have you come across a Queenie Rosalind Turley b. 1909 in Essex?Your gt aunt perhaps or an odd co-incidence of names?

Edited by: Paul Hilton at:6th March 2012 10:56
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 08:29 on 6th March 2012
Wow, well done again Paul and all others who are helping David. What a brilliant bunch of people you are.
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 09:10 on 6th March 2012

As David originally asked---Queenie's siblings. Her two older sisters born in Ipswich and all her younger ones, born around Colchester. Dennis in 1915 and the last one (?) Ronald in 1919.

Mona Dorcas 

Renie Connie Mabel Evelyn

Queenie Gertrude Evelyn

Terence St Clair

Ena Patricia Violet

Gwendoline Sybil Doris

Worthington Shirley (brother)

Kathleen Dorothy Mimi

Irene P.

Dennis Shirley St Clair b.April 1915.  D. 4 April 1999, Colchester

Ronald Hugh P  b.8 Feb 1919  d March.2005 Ipswich. Married Winifred B Oxford in 1940. In WW2, Ronald was with the Royal Army Service Corps as a driver and was a POW at Stalag VIII-B, Cieszyn, Poland. 

Edited by: Paul Hilton at:6th March 2012 09:51
David Turley
David Turley
quotePosted at 15:30 on 6th March 2012

Paul - Who are you? You've found our Grandmother's history. We knew so little. I'm touched, dumbfounded and overwhelmed. Yes Queenie did married my grandpa Jack. His formal name was William and they did live in SF. Short time after moved to a near by town of Vallejo. Grandma worked at Mare Island durning the war. She was a seemstress in the flag and pattern departments.  

My sister said grandma spoke many times of Colchester, Essex so that makes perfect sense regarding her sisters. I have to lay this information out and digest it a bit. Unless we're related and you had this at hand was there a particular web site that helped you with this information. I imagine it took some time to correlate. I thank you very very much. It means so much to my sister and me. You are in the UK. I suspect somewhere near these areas. I need to study these locations and put foot prints to your information.

I will be in touch. Again thanks to all and to you Paul. This is very special.

Also that you tracked it to my grandpa Jack Turley. Amazing.

David John

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 19:36 on 6th March 2012
Very well done Paul.....as ever!