Pictures of Bibury
William Morris, the 19th-century artist and poet thought Bibury to be the most beautiful village in England. This sentiment was echoed by another Victorian, J. Arthur Gibbs, wrote of it elequently in A Cotswold Village, published in 1898.
The slow moving River Coln wends its way between wooded banks and is spanned by a road bridge dated 1790. Many of the stone-built houses have gardens than run down to meet this sparkling river, and on the banks of the mill stream which flows into the Coln, stands a terrace of gabled and stone-tiled cottages called Arlington Row. The cottages were converted from a 14th-century sheephouse in the early 17th-century to provide housing for weavers supplying cloth for the nearby Arlington Mill. These cottages are now owned by the National Trust and Arlington Mill is now a museum and houses a fine collection of furniture from the Cotswold Arts and Crafts movement.
There is a rich variance of properties in Bibury, some are of timber frame with thatched roofs, but mostly they are built of Honey coloured Cotswold stone, having steep gables and tall chimneys, often with delightful small stone clad windows and nearly all submerged in seemingly motionless green foilage. It is these wonderful houses, so traditional of the Cotswolds, that causes Bibury to be thronged with an endless stream of visitors throughout, not only high summer but all the year round.
The centre of Bibury is the square, overlooked by the Saxon Church of St. Mary. St. Mary's has many later additions, mostly Norman and Medieval, but much of the Saxon work is still visible.
Bibury Court is of Jacobean origin and The Swan is a pleasant early coaching inn. There are several other inns and public houses
both in and around the village.
This is an enchanting village and well worth a visit for it is a village that possesses the dream-like quality of a Christmas card.
For further information, please visit: www.bibury.com
Take a picture tour of Bibury or book Bibury accommodation
Other nearby recommended towns & villages..
in the county of Gloucestershire(1.8 miles, 2.9 km, direction SE of Bibury)
This village in the fertile Coln Valley has the prestige of being one of the 10 most desirable villages in England...
a Historic Market Town in the county of Gloucestershire(4.0 miles, 6.4 km, direction SE of Bibury)
Fairford was granted a market charter in the year 1135 but it is believed that village has its origins way back in the Bronze Age. Its beautiful church is world famous for having the most complete set of Medieval stained glass windows of any parish church in the United Kingdom..
a Historic Market Town in the county of Gloucestershire(6.5 miles, 10.5 km, direction SW of Bibury)
Originally known in Roman times as Corinium Dobunorum, the town of Cirencester in those far off day's was the second largest town in England...
a Historic Market Town in the county of Gloucestershire(7.5 miles, 12.0 km, direction SE of Bibury)
This pleasant little market town, set beside the upper reaches of the Thames, is dominated by the elegant spire of the beautiful parish church of St.Lawrence..
a Historic Market Town in the county of Oxfordshire(9.0 miles, 14.4 km, direction E of Bibury)
Burford is an attractive Cotswold town in the Oxfordshire part of the Cotswolds, with a famous High Street that slopes down to a three-arched medieval bridge that carries traffic.....All towns in GloucestershireComplete A to Z of towns in England
Nearby attractions.. (5.7 miles, 9.2 km, direction NW)
.. (8.9 miles, 14.3 km, direction NE)
The Tolsey Museum can be found in the center of town at the ancient Burford crossroads, the main center of Burfords old market..... (9.0 miles, 14.5 km, direction NE)
Burford Parish Church is one the most beautiful and interesting churches in England. The building of the present church began in..... (9.2 miles, 14.8 km, direction N)
Bourton on the Water has a replica of itself built in traditional local cotswold stone. The Model Village is built to one-ninth..... (12.7 miles, 20.4 km, direction N)
This beautiful church was built somewhere between the 11th and 15th century. The tower is 88ft high and was completed in 1447. It..... (13.4 miles, 21.6 km, direction E)
The ruins of Minster Lovell Hall stand in an attractive position on the banks of the River Windrush. Despite speculation, the..... (14.0 miles, 22.6 km, direction SE)
The beautiful Vale of the White Horse is the region lying between the River Thames and the Berkshire Downs. It is an area.....All attractions in BiburyAll attractions in GloucestershireComplete A to Z of attractions in England