Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

A picture of Belton

Belton

in the county of Lincolnshire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Cheers From Australia

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Missy Hartwell
Missy Hartwell
quotePosted at 03:47 on 19th May 2008

Hello everyone, I thought I'd might as well introduce myself, as I do spend quite a bit of time browsing at the photo's on this great website. I'm from country Victoria in Australia, I had my first trip to the U.K for five weeks last June/July 07, which was absolutely awesome. Yep,..you could say I am addicted to your beautiful country. I am 35 years old and am a qualified history teacher, but chose not to teach teenage brats who did'nt give a ...... about history!, so I then went on with further study to become a social worker, which is what I am currently employed as..(yes I know, I punish myself!!), although , there is a method to my madness in my career choice - I can come and live and work in your country one day if I choose to!

I have a passion for history, especially 12th - 13th century for some reason, although I am currently reading a book on the Spanish Armada of 1588, which is very interesting, and before that I finished one on Horatio Nelson.I also have another on e on the go about the Great War , which sparked an interest after I located an ancestors grave in Ieper last year. I pretty much have my head in a history book most nights, while I navigate historic websites (including this) in my lunch breaks at work..like I'm doing right now.

While five weeks was nowhere near enough time to see the best of the U.K, I did get to take in some beautiful areas, some of my favourites included the areas around Stratford Upon Avon and the Lakes District, and many around Scotland.However, I unfortunately did not get to take in the sights of Cornwall, which will be on the next agenda.

The photo's on this sight are breathtaking,...I am not a skilled photographer by any stretch of the imagination, so I happily snapped 1000 pics on my little samsung, but I managed to capture some excellent shots, which I spend hours still flicking through. Each week I change my background on my screen saver at least three times, so I can relive the moment, and the memory of that place. You know, I've found that when I have a big holiday like that, I get to relive it and recapture it and reflect on it again and again through photo's...and through the yearning of doing it all again soon I hope!

Nice to meet you all. Missy

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 06:29 on 19th May 2008

Hello Missy, and welcome to the board. It's nice and early here, about 5am I think, and that's why I'm the first to welcome you. Early riser you see, the early bird catches the worm. Not that I'm saying your a worn of course.

You sound like you are going to enjoy our little forum, and we look forward t getting to know you.

I bet your love of history really comes into play when you are in England, as we are surrounded by it at every turn. I hope you get to come over again, maybe for twice as long, though I don't doubt you'll go home thinking it's still not long enough.

So we are looking forward to you sharing some of your pictures, and joining us here on the forum.

L
L
quotePosted at 07:38 on 19th May 2008
Hi Missy, welcome to POE and this forum, glad you like our little piece of the world, I'm not as early as Sue welcoming you as I had to drag myself out of bed to go to work today LOL  It sounds like you had a busy time when you were over here, I'm the same when I go on holiday, spend most of it snapping away! and I'm not skilled at taking photo's either but I think I've got quite a few good ones over the years. There's plenty of history here in England, the place I live goes back to The Doomsday Book eg as lots of other places are too, our church was built about 1200, and we have lots of thatched cottages around my area too. I hope you get to return to England one day, in the meantime i'm looking forward to seeing your pics on here, and hope you come back into this forum Missy, you will have some fun as well as finding out some interesting information i'm sure! Smile
Karen Pugh
Karen Pugh
quotePosted at 08:06 on 19th May 2008

Hi Missy

Welcome to poe.  Where abouts in the Lake District did you go to?  I live in the area.  I'm glad you liked it.  Where I live we have a castle which dates back to the 1300s (I think), but is now a farm.  The castle also has it's own church, which is still in use today.  Enjoy yourself at Poe.

Karen

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 09:17 on 19th May 2008

Welcome to POE Missy. Great site, great forum, pics, discussion (sometimes serious), silly banter from the ladies as well as the men, maps, attractions, history, a guestbook that will take you an age to read through from your PC, but all in all, a wonderful way to see England!

You say >>>I have a passion for history, especially 12th - 13th century. Wait until Peter gets back from holiday, he will be able to help you out there because he's really old, as well as ugly! Don't forget to join in when you can Missy.

Andy Edwards
Andy Edwards
quotePosted at 11:52 on 19th May 2008
Wecome Missy, I hope you are well and enjoying good weather. I reckon you will enjoy it on this site, you'll certainly be able to see pictures from places that you were unable to visit last time. If you have an interest in Horatio Nelson and the Armada then Portsmouth, Hampshire is a must see next time you're here. His flagship, the Victory is situated there and it's well worth a visit. Kindest regards, Andy.
Cheri Thomas
Cheri Thomas
quotePosted at 14:03 on 19th May 2008

Hi Missy;

Welcome to the site.  You'll love it here.  Everyone is very nice and very proud of their beautiful country.  I just wish I had more time to participate in the forums etc.

You and I share a passion for the 12th & 13th century history.

It's always a case of "so much to see, so little time" I have been going over for 24 years and never tire of it.  Believe it or not, I still haven't seen everything I want to see

Hope you get to go back many times.

Welcome..........Cheri 

SarahPremier Member - Click for more info
Sarah
quotePosted at 14:04 on 19th May 2008
Hi Missy and welcome to POE Smile
Diana Sinclair
Diana Sinclair
quotePosted at 20:41 on 19th May 2008

Hi Missy and welcome to POESmile

I too have a passion for history, as do many on this site  I think.  I hope you enjoy being here as much as I do.

Ray Stear
Ray Stear
quotePosted at 00:34 on 20th May 2008

Hi there Missy. Sorry to be late with my welcome...some of us have to work though!

Ray S.