Christchurch

a Seaside Town in the county of Dorset

Lighthouse & 'Tombstone' markers

Orford

a Seaside Town in the county of Suffolk

St Etheldreda's Church, Hatfield

Hatfield

in the county of Hertfordshire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Where could I find VERY detailed maps of the counties ?

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Floriane
Floriane
quotePosted at 09:43 on 20th March 2013

Hello,

I will be exploring the following counties whilst being in England this summer: Worcestershire, Herefordshire, Hertfordshire, Cambridgeshire, Gloucestershire, Wiltshire, Kent, Oxfordshire, Buckinghamshire, Bedfordshire, Leicestershire and Northamptonshire.

I have a few detailed maps, but they're not detailed enough to find very small villlages, so I have to try and write down on my maps with a ball point pen the names of these tiny locations, which isn't always easy!

Does anyone know where I could find some very detailed maps of the counties mentioned above?

-

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Rob Faleer
Rob Faleer
quotePosted at 10:46 on 20th March 2013

Hello, Floriane. I would recommend either the Ordnance Survey Landranger Series maps or the Explorer Series maps. Here is the Ordnance Survey map Landranger Series website (click on the Explorer Series tab for information on that series): http://www.shop.ordnancesurveyleisure.co.uk/products/os-landranger-maps

I have used these maps for decades since I often hike in areas where I am staying and the public footpaths are clearly marked. The maps are highly accurate and show a huge amount of detail, including historic buildings and sites such as medieval earthworks, etc. You can also order them with a plastic coating for outdoor use while hiking.

Hope this helps! Bonne chance!

Edited by: Rob Faleer at:20th March 2013 10:47
Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 12:23 on 21st March 2013
I agree with Rob's recommendations about using the Ordnance Survey Maps, and these are very useful to take with you when out walking. However, in situations where you have access to the internet, Google Earth and Streetview can be very useful for detailed views of the location, and may help you in planning your route.
Peggy Cannell
Peggy Cannell
quotePosted at 17:01 on 21st March 2013
Thank you also for that info Rob as I was able to sort something out for myself as well
Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 18:44 on 21st March 2013

Over here in the States. we have wonderful little pointy arrow stickers (different sizes) that work perfectly on a map. You can write on the sticker so you don't spoil your map. You can also colour code.

Just an idea.  

Cerridwenn
Cerridwenn
quotePosted at 18:44 on 21st March 2013
oh, great resource rob! i love that the ordinance surveys show paths, and also lots of archaeology, old town names... i could spend hours playing with these!
Rob Faleer
Rob Faleer
quotePosted at 15:00 on 26th March 2013
Thanks all for your agreement on these fine maps developed by the Ordnance Survey. They are truly wonderful and an absolute must for those who need maps with fine and accurate detail!
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 19:52 on 26th March 2013
No doubt about it Rob the OS series of maps are simply THE best available especially the 1:25000 series, the orange ones. I have several for the Lake District and they are INVALUABLE. In fact the most used one is so much held together with sellotape i really need to buy a  new one.
Rob Faleer
Rob Faleer
quotePosted at 03:16 on 27th March 2013

I'll be staying in the Lake District this coming autumn, Dave, so I'll be picking up some of these maps--yep, the orange ones!

Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 07:28 on 27th March 2013
You certainly won't be disappointed Rob. I try to get there 2 or 3 times a year. Simply nowhere else I'd rather be. Hoping to squeeze a week late April // early May if I can. Then hopefully September followed by a week early December. Been going to the same cottage in Ambleside for 5 years or more now and get a really good price off the owner so basically can't afford not to go. And the walking is just superb no matter what the weather....rain, wind or shine....... 

Edited by: Dave John at:27th March 2013 07:31