Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Battle

Battle

in the county of East Sussex

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

English villages

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**
1 2 3 4 5 6 Next >

Ricardo MalagueƱo
Ricardo MalagueƱo
quotePosted at 17:02 on 18th February 2008
Hello everybody!

I am starting to collect some information about places to go in a trip to England, maybe next year.

I would like to visit some of those charming country villages, with thatched cottages and cobblestone streets, set in typically English countryside.

I started by looking for information on the internet... but I found so much that it is very difficult to choose only one or two! I wish I could visit all of them, since they are so pretty, but time and money are limited.

So I am asking you to give me some hints. Which villages/small towns would you recommend as a “must see”? I am specially interested in places near London, or that can be visited in one or two days, accesible by train or bus.

Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Ricardo
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 19:16 on 18th February 2008

Oh what fun, a trip to England will be one of the highlights of your life.

Pretty villages, well there are so many, but the first one that jumps to my mind would be Castle Combe, it is a National Trust Village so no visible poles, wires, satellite dishes, it really is a beautiful village. 

The second village I haven't ever been to but it is on my list, but you mentioned cobble stones and I think this fits the bill, Clovelly in Devon.

Two pictures of Castle Combe, Wiltshire.
Bridge over the By Brook
Picture by Paul Hilton

Castle Combe, Wiltshire. Summer 2004
Picture by Adam Freeman

And Clovelly, Devon.

Clovelly, Devon
Picture by Karen Richardson

poePremier Member - Click for more info
poe
quotePosted at 11:46 on 26th February 2008

Hi Ricardo

I would suggest heading on a tour of the Cotswolds for a day or two. You will be spoilt for choice regarding picturesque towns and villages to explore and it's not too far from London. See here for some ideas http://www.picturesofengland.com/cotswolds/

The beautiful village of Castle Combe that Sue recommends above, is in the southern Cotswolds, and a trip there from London is often combined with a visit to either Stonehenge or the beautiful Georgian city of Bath, both of which are highly recommended.

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 11:10 on 22nd March 2008

Hello Ricadardo

You really are spoilt for choice as Chris and Sarah (POE) suggest. One thing is for sure, PicturesOfEngland.com will allow you to plan your visit to England whilst sitting in your armchair! Something in excess of 40,000 cities, towns and villages are mentioned throughout this fantastic website, as well as the opportunity to securely book your hotels online! Enjoy every minute of your trip and don't forget to post some pics of where you finally decided to visit.

Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 03:12 on 19th May 2008
I can certainly recommend Castle Combe which looks even lovelier still in the summer, as my photo shown was on a frosty winters morning but still, it's charm still shows through. Staying this side of the M4 motorway also in Wiltshire, the village of Lacock also won't disappoint, which includes it's abbey and Fox-Talbot photographic museum. As also suggested, in the Cotswolds you can't go wrong. All around these regions, you'll be spoilt for choice.
Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 06:32 on 19th May 2008
Your picture is wonderful, Paul, beside, I doubt you can even see the streets in the summer, with all of the visitors milling around. If I have a choice, I never come over in the summer, I like May and October, not so many people, still some pretty decent weather and the trees look fantastic.
Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 09:41 on 19th May 2008

You are quite right Sue, that visiting slightly out of season can have many advantages, as Castle Coombe & Lacock both attract many people from all over the world. Even at Malmesbury, Wiltshire, reading the visitors book of Abbey House Gardens always amazes me with where visitors have arrived from and found their way there.

Another town with cobbled streets I was going to mention is Rye in East Sussex and PoE has a great many photos to look at, for a day out from London; Rye Harbour as well.Once again, a place better seen away from the mid-summer visitors, for trying to take a photo of Mermaid St. without many people in it you'll have to wait a very long time; ditto many other places in Rye's Conservation Area of cobbled streets.When I lived at nearby Playden, visitors used to stop to take photos of our garden, as they ventured a bit to see what lay hidden down country lanes.

Scott Jones
Scott Jones
quotePosted at 16:18 on 6th July 2008

You should visit Hedon, which is just outside Kingston-Upon-Hull.

Lovely place!  

Andy Edwards
Andy Edwards
quotePosted at 16:22 on 6th July 2008
Apart from the eyesore at Saltend and the fact it got flooded out last year I nearly agree with you Scott. I live not far from Hull and in my humble opinion there are many villages nicer in the area.
Ruth Gregory
Ruth Gregory
quotePosted at 17:02 on 6th July 2008
Have you been over to Brind yet Andy?
1 2 3 4 5 6 Next >