Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Ravenglass sunset

Ravenglass

a Seaside Town in the county of Cumbria

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Scarcity of meaningful picture comments on PoE

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Phil Jobson
Phil Jobson
quotePosted at 13:03 on 31st August 2018

I am as guilty as anyone for not keeping up with POE. Why? No blame to POE. There is so much in "cyberspace" that we all have fingers in many sites. I used to look forward to jumping on this site every evening, but so much has intervened in the meantime (Facebook posts, political nonsense (you think you have it bad in the UK, come to Australia!); so much stuff everywhere. 

Still POE is an oasis of calm in a Mad, Mad world. Unfortanetly I have not been able to contribute any pics, since I have not visited the UK since 2012! 

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Rod BurkeyPremier Member - Click for more info
Rod Burkey
quotePosted at 15:01 on 16th September 2018
It is a shame that the pictures here do not attract more comment. Can anybody offer reasons for this? 
Pete1948
Pete1948
quotePosted at 15:17 on 20th September 2018
I am a new boy and tried to respond to a positive comment from Edward. I got an email referring me to a new comment which was mine but when I got there but none of the text was present. Anyway if you read this thank you Edward.
Peggy Cannell
Peggy Cannell
quotePosted at 16:28 on 10th October 2018
Hi Edward well I for one am back and will be going through the photos and commenting if and when, yes the whole forum was a much livelier place years ago but hopefully it will get back that way by encouraging new members to join in
Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 16:43 on 10th October 2018

Hi Peggy, it's good to see a familiar friendly name popping up again. However, I suspect that most of the members who were active a few years ago have moved on to other photo sharing sites. I live in hope that some of the old interest can be revived here on PoE.  

Rod Burkey
quotePosted at 13:05 on 11th October 2018

I have also been an occasional viewer, and yes I do post on other picture sharing sites , enjoying being able to view great images. Sadly the quality here seldom matches those images on the other two sites I am a member of. 

It does sadden me, as the images here used to to be far better. Few members then would post multiple pictures on an almost identical theme.  

My honest view is that POE needs to delete the really poor images, and maybe encourage the members to submit a maximum of one or two images a day. This would make the selections more varied and encourage more comment.

In short, more meaningful pictures would attract more meaningful comment.

I would also love to see a more active forum. 

Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 17:23 on 11th October 2018
On 11th October 2018 13:05, Rod Burkey wrote:

Cut  >>>> My honest view is that POE needs to delete the really poor images, and maybe encourage the members to submit a maximum of one or two images a day. This would make the selections more varied and encourage more comment >>>>

I agree with your sentiments entirely, Rod. The emphasis should be on quality rather than quantity. Putting up only the best shots would also greatly increase the chance of successful sales. I have rarely wanted to submit more than a couple of images at a time. In fact, my average rate of submission over the entire period of my membership has been at a rate of about one image per week !

Paul V. A. JohnsonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul V. A. Johnson
quotePosted at 19:32 on 11th October 2018
I'm afraid I do not entirely agree with the latest comments. This site is not solely a photographic competence one. For me it is a promotion site for England not for photographers. Sure there are some pretty dreadful shots and many quite ordinary ones as well as some truly excellent pics. I use the site quite a lot to research places that I may well like to visit, and get quite dissapointed if there are only a few shots of a place I am interested in. When I come across a photograph that is particularly pleasing then I add a comment and hope others do likewise. There are a number of quite dreadful places in England, many ordinary ones and fortunately some really beautiful scenes. The site reflects this admirably and I am grateful to all the photographers who have posted shots.
Rod Burkey
quotePosted at 21:03 on 11th October 2018

I think that image quality is still important rather than flooding the site with poor images, whatever the purpose of the site is. 

I have just looked at the latest pictures.  

Time for me to go. I’m done here. 

Cheers!  

poePremier Member - Click for more info
poe
quotePosted at 22:15 on 11th October 2018

Having just looked through the 8 pages or so of latest images, I don't think any of them are poor, but that's my own personal opinion. There are actually some terrific shots in there and a lot of interest of a multitude of places across England, which is what the site has always been primarily about - England's many places of historic interest and beauty, shown through photographs taken by people of all different skill levels.  First and foremost the site has always been about the subject matter, rather than the technical abilities of the photographer. That is not going to change, though we do try to keep the quality of the photographs at an acceptable level to most.

We also plan (when budget allows) to implement a grouping system for photos, so if a member uploads 10 of lets say Warwick Castle, then they will be grouped under 1 image within the 'Latest Pictures' section, with the option to collapse the group to show all 10 images, and so on. How does that sound?  We think this will help solve some of the issues some of you have with the number of images uploaded at once.