Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Farnborough Hall 15 June 2011

Farnborough

in the county of Warwickshire

Beamish, County Durham: Tram

Beamish

in the county of County Durham

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Full frame? Does size make such a difference?

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Rod BurkeyPremier Member - Click for more info
Rod Burkey
quotePosted at 13:41 on 19th November 2015

Whilst on holiday, I went into a duty free camera shop with a chum who wanted a new zoom lens for sport photography. As he peered through the expensive glass, I was tempted to handle a Nikon D750. I did and was infatuated with it, as it felt so good and looking through my 24-105 lens made my wallet twitch with a desire to free my credi card. It was a very close call but self control prevailed. Now, I'm seriously considering going "full frame" as most of my lenses are okay for such s beast. My D300 has served me well, and it even bounced from a height onto a concrete step earliest this year, and survived. I'm tempted to keep it snyway as it's probably worth all of half a crown now! 

Anyone out there that can offer me advice? Is the difference really as much as I might hope for?  

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 16:55 on 19th November 2015

Somehow my name has disappeared off the previous post so I am re-posting here --

Hi Rod, I can only give you my impressions based on my Canon EOS 5D Mark I (full-frame, 12.8 MP, announced in 2005) and my Canon EOS 7D Mark I (1.6X crop sensor, 18.0 MP, announced in 2009), so please bear in mind my cameras are somewhat 'dated', but I think the comparisons are still generally valid.

PLUS for full-frame : Even though my full-frame camera is older, the image noise is noticeably less than my newer crop-sensor camera,  particularly at higher ISO settings. I think this is due to the greater size of the pixels on the full-frame sensor, allowing more light to fall on each pixel.

PLUS for full-frame : The full-frame camera will give the widest possible angle of view for a given focal length i.e. A 28 mm lens will appear quite wide on full-frame, but the same lens will be equivalent to only 45 mm on a 1.6X crop sensor camera.Your wide-angle lenses will stay wide, which is very useful if you do landscapes and cityscapes

PLUS for full-frame : For the same subject and framing, the full-frame camera gives a shallower depth of field, simply because you have to get closer to the subject to fill the frame. This is a definite plus for portraiture.

PLUS for Full-Frame : Bigger, brighter viewfinder.

MINUS for Full-Frame : More expensive.

MINUS for Full-Frame : Generally not as fast in frames-per-second because the big mirror has more inertia. Sports and wildlife photographers will need to pay serious money to get a full-frame camera doing 10 frames-per-second.

MINUS for Full-Frame : Lenses suitable for full-frame are generally more expensive than the lenses designed solely for crop sensor and will be physically larger for a particular focal length / aperture.

MINUS for Full-Frame : Physically bigger and  heavier camera body.

These are just a few points which occurred to me. In summary, full frame excels for portraiture, interiors, landscapes and low-light conditions, and the crop sensor is better for sports use and general walk-about. The size of the wallet (particularly if buying new) is the major factor, which is why I tend to buy second-hand. I don't know if there is an older Nikon full frame camera which is worth a try. For the Canon user such as myself, a good used example of the Canon 5D Mark I can now be picked up for under £400. 
Rod Burkey
quotePosted at 17:17 on 19th November 2015

Thank you Edward. More fodder for my grey cells.

When I do plump for a full frame, I'll certainly hang on to my D300 for a while at least, as my 10-20 Sigma is a wonderful lens and to replace that will prove expensive.

I certainly take note of what you say.

The wheels are turning.........   

Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 18:13 on 19th November 2015
On 19th November 2015 17:17, Rod Burkey wrote:

>> as my 10-20 Sigma is a wonderful lens and to replace that will prove expensive>>.

Certainly it is expensive to get the equivalent range of focal length for full-frame ...the Canon 16 - 35 f/2.8 LII lens costs over £1000 new, purely fantasy for me. However, I picked up a second-hand Tamron 19 - 35 full frame lens for around £100 which is nearly as good.
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 18:25 on 19th November 2015

Hi Edward; another good thread, well done!

As for the avatar not showing it times out after an hour, which is why it didn't show... "I must type faster" lol

Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 19:07 on 19th November 2015
On 19th November 2015 18:25, Ron Brind wrote:

As for the avatar not showing it times out after an hour, which is why it didn't show... "I must type faster" lol

Thanks for the explanation, Ron.....two fingers !
Rod Burkey
quotePosted at 19:08 on 19th November 2015
I've bought quite a few second hand lenses since I graduated into long trousers and they are great bargains. Never bought a "dud"........yet. It's certainly the way to go. I bought a Nikon 80mm F2 off a pro. It looked very well used, but what a lens! 

Edited by: Rod Burkey at:19th November 2015 20:22
 Please login to post to this thread...