Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Clumber Country Park, Worksop

Worksop

in the county of Nottinghamshire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

WHAT IS IT WITH BATTERIES ??????????

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Vince Hawthorn
Vince Hawthorn
quotePosted at 17:56 on 17th May 2015
You can guess what I am going to ask- yes why is it some batteries just need charging all the time? On the FZ38 I have got to the point where after a few shots and I mean I can count the number of shots on my fingers and the battery strength icon has already gone down a third and decreases at a constantly alarming rate. The FZ38 is the camera I use the least so it is often a number of weeks before I pick it up , but whilst down in Cornwall this month the camera was charged and then picked up the next day to have awander down to the King Harry Ferry for a few shots and after just two or three pics we were on the way down. Is this a thing with batteries giving up the ghost or because of the long time in between using this particular camera ?
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 18:28 on 17th May 2015

My last P&S camera was a Canon PowerShot Vince it took 2 AA batteries and it used to eat them. The only ones that would last more than a handful of shots were the Lithium ones at nearly £7 for 2, and they didn't do much better. I gave up eventually and invested in a charger and some rechargebale batteries, bingo, these lasted much longer.

The first thing I did when I got the Nikon was buy a spare battery, it's a compatible not an original Nikon, I was worried that it would be rubbish, but as a back up I wasn't too concerned. To my surprise it lasts for ages (well at the moment) just as long as the original that came with the camera.

It also seems they can just give up for no reason. I didn't know this until I had to have the one replaced in my phone, I was confused as to why it had suddenly started misbehaving, I was informed by the man that did the replacement for me that they can just suddenly pack up without warning, doesn't matter what age, make or condition. Seems to me they have a mind of their own.

Like you say - What is it with batteries ???? 

Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 19:07 on 17th May 2015

Rechargeable batteries do run down in time and loose the capacity to hold the original charge and this usually happens pretty quickly. Needless to say it should not happen for quite a while and a considerable number of charges. As Ruth says I always make sure I have a spare and they are not Canon but third party of various manufacture which come in much cheaper and I have never had problems with. Have 1 Canon and 3 spares for both 550d and 5d as the battery packs hold 2 batteries.

Leaving the camera on uses up battery power, hence most cameras have an option to 'shut down' after a given time set in the menus. Also all sorts of minor programmes such as 'beeps' to confirm everthing you do also waste battery life. I have anything that bleeps shut off on each camera. Apart from being annoying they attract attention anyway which we can all do without

Duracell make a replacement for the FZ38 at around £15 but am fairly sure it, or another brand, could be obtained cheaper with a bit of searching.

Vince Hawthorn
Vince Hawthorn
quotePosted at 22:35 on 17th May 2015
  Thanks for advice folks, I did a few checks on the Duracell and a few reviews comment on fitting issues- more to do with contacts rather than phsyical size I think. Another name that crops up is Ansmann and that comes in about the same ball park figure. Wex Photographic seems a good deal
Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 22:55 on 17th May 2015

The battery for my D3 would last for ages, like 500-600 photos and would be showing around half discharged. After 7 years, it's lifetime recharge indicator was showing it was on its way out, so instead of another Nikon one at 2500 milli amps and £100 I bought a Duracell version at 2100 Ma for around £35. I don't normally need to take over 1000 pics per day, but for those using its motor drive a lot at 9 fps, I suppose you could clock a large number of pics fairly soon. Same battery fits the D2 series.

the smaller more usual Nikon batteries for the D200/D300 etc seem to last ok. Got a spare Hanel battery for the Canon 5D MK2 which still shows the lifetime recharging ability.

With the bad rep lithium ion batteries seem to have acquired,if you want to take spare ones on holiday on a plane, I'd suggest you read the carriers instructions on how they want them packed.

I think a couple of years ago, some Panasonic cameras were designed not to accept third party batteries. Minimising the amount of time the display is on for viewing pics or messing around with the menu will save a bit of power.  

Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 23:05 on 17th May 2015

Hiding inside the battery chamber on the D3 is a small battery cover with a mercury battery to keep the clock, menu settings when the battery is taken out. If the D300 also has a small Mercury battery, I haven't found it yet. 

With these odd Panasonic cameras-- the physical size to fit wasn't the issue. The cameras electronics would know it wasn't a Panasonic battery so the camera wouldn't work.  

Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 00:04 on 18th May 2015

If you end up with a selection of cameras that take their own dedicated lithium ion batteries, you can end up with a selection of chargers to fit various ones. I tried a CamCaddy2 charger that has moveable contacts for 3.7 and 7.4 volt batteries.

i tried it on various Canon and Nikon d- slrs, a range of compacts with a range of battery types, and it charged them all up. So instead of hunting around for the charger that came with the camera, I just use the one now.

i presume it will also work on mobile phones that have similar replaceable batteries. 

Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 21:32 on 18th May 2015
On 17th May 2015 22:35, Vince Hawthorn wrote:
  Thanks for advice folks, I did a few checks on the Duracell and a few reviews comment on fitting issues- more to do with contacts rather than phsyical size I think. Another name that crops up is Ansmann and that comes in about the same ball park figure. Wex Photographic seems a good deal

Yes, Ansmann are very good as are Hahnel as indicated by Paul. I have some Hahnel but never tried Ansmann ...yet!! Wex is always a good shot, but also look at Premier Inks
Vince Hawthorn
Vince Hawthorn
quotePosted at 22:18 on 18th May 2015
 Many thanks for input Paul and Dave. Looked on Premier Inks but seemed to be an issue with code numbers. Am a bit concerned by Paul's comment that the camera may not respond to a third party battery but when you read the reviews on the selling sites it seems most folk are happy but as always there are some 1* in the mix as well. Hey-Ho.
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 03:34 on 19th May 2015

I mentioned the Panasonic issue as, after just re-checking- found a Panasonic notice on their firmware update page from 2009 which affected several models of their cameras.

they essentially stated that they found some third party batteries didn't have various internal protective circuits that might damage a owners camera or the user themselves. It was followed by a warning that after installing the latest firmware ( in 2009), these now revised cameras will no longer accept non-Panasonic batteries as they had previously done, and it will no longer work with them. 

That's why I thought I'd mention it above that this situation might exist with various Panasonic cameras. I don't know what the current situation now is.

Edited by: Paul Hilton at:19th May 2015 03:39