Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

A view of Lyme Regis

Lyme Regis

a Seaside Town in the county of Dorset

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

TRIPODS ??

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 18:37 on 29th March 2015

How often do you use a tripod?

Personally, very rarely.

I have 2 tripods both approximately 30 years old!!

A Kennett Professional 3 section leg-braced tripod that is basically really only good for studio work as the leg adjustment is non existent because of the leg braces. Can't fault it for stability and build quality and has been well used . But it is heavy and folded down still measures approx 30 inches, but reaches a height of around 6 foot which was good for studio work

Also have an Original Benbo Tripod which is a superb piece of engineering and amazingly versatile once you get to grips with the single locking mechanism!!

But again it is very heavy and cumbersome and similar to the Kennett above around 30-36 inches when folded.

Both are not really easily transportable unless the car can be got close to the intended location, which is a pity as they are both brilliant tripods.

I also have a couple of monopods which do get used now and again

Just rememberd also have a 4 section 'travel' tripod which was a 'free' gift with a magazine subscription. Only really usable on first 2 leg sections but has come to the rescue on a couple of occassions

Edited by: Dave John at:29th March 2015 18:43
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 18:49 on 29th March 2015
I looked at the price of them yesterday, some are very expensive. I have an extending monopod, also a 7inch long bendy legged tripod and a bean bag. I must admit to using the bean bag the most, I'm a great one for travelling light and the small tripod and the bean bag fit in my pockets. The monopd is in the car door pocket, it's been there since it was bought.
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 18:54 on 29th March 2015
Yes they are not cheap to be sure. The option I am looking at for replacement is around £160-£180 including the head. However is a lot lighter and more portable and will fasten to the backpack OK. But thinking back the two I have were not cheap 30 years ago, both somewhere around £35-40 then, which was quite a lot of money.
rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 19:11 on 29th March 2015
I've spent enough in the previous few days, I'm afraid a tripod will have to wait a while longer. Thirty to forty pounds in the 80's was a lot at the time.
rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 20:47 on 29th March 2015

So you've got a monopod then John Laughing

The bean bag is good, I've just looked on Amazon and the one I have is out of stock, there are other makes though, I can't remember what it cost but it wasn't much. I do think I may need a proper tripod at some point though, one where all 3 legs work Wink

Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 20:55 on 29th March 2015
I still have a bean bag that my mum made for me 30+ years ago, just forget to take it out with me ! ! ! If 'she who likes to be obeyed' is any good with a sewing machine very easily home made ... a bit of spare material and a pound or so of dried beans or something similar
rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 21:28 on 29th March 2015
Mine was bought because I can't sew.
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 21:30 on 29th March 2015
My mum used to teach needlework at school, so mine is quite probably superior to anything that was available to purchase at the time, maybe even nowUndecided
Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 21:47 on 29th March 2015

I have a tripod, but I only use it for the occasional macro shot, where it is useful for getting exact focus. I concede that there are other situations where a tripod may be useful, such as gloomy interiors, extreme telephoto shots, self-timer shots, night shots, or long-exposure  landscapes, but the thought of lugging a tripod around takes all my enjoyment away from a photographic walk-about. 

In any case, the better ISO performance of cameras these days and the invention of the Image Stabiliser make tripods less necessary for general use. 

No one seems to have mentioned it, but a tripod generally needs to be used with a cable release or some other remote control release to avoid camera shake.

Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 21:56 on 29th March 2015
On 29th March 2015 21:47, Edward Lever wrote:

No one seems to have mentioned it, but a tripod generally needs to be used with a cable release or some other remote control release to avoid camera shake.

Another good point made and with modern electric-everything cameras releases are not as cheap as they used to be and most cameras also have their own specific fittings. I have to have 2 releases, 1 for the 500d and 1 for the 5d. Manual ones can be purchased for £15-20 whereas remote ones can be in the region of £50-60 depending on the chosen quality and manufacturer. Mine are both Hahnel which I have found to be a very good third party manufacturer of all sorts of camera accessories. So yes, another factor to be considered

One other method is to use the camera inbuilt self-timer although this is not really accurate unless your subject is totally innanimate.

Edited by: Dave John at:29th March 2015 22:06