Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Watergate Bay, Cornwall

Watergate

in the county of Cornwall

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Polarising Filters ?

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 16:21 on 8th April 2015

Let us know if you get chance to try the filter out today Vince.

Hope your first day back isn't too bad Dave, it doesn't seem like you've been off for all that time, where have the weeks gone ? 

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Vince Hawthorn
Vince Hawthorn
quotePosted at 21:21 on 8th April 2015
 Well , here is the proof of the pudding. I returned to the Silent Pool as I thought this might be a good exercise to see the effect of the polarising filter, the water is totally clear because of the spring at the head of the pond and it is feed through chalk so the water is pristine. Took me a short while to get used to the filter, still got plenty to learn but this composite shows roughly the same point with the polariser in a neutral position and then working at it best, let me know what you think to the result please. Silent Pool - Before and After
Picture by Vince Hawthorn

Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 21:27 on 8th April 2015
Not sure where the sun was but the effect on the waters surface is excellent, although not much change in the intensity of the blue in the sky. But either way a great example of how reflections can be alleviated. Nice work
Vince Hawthorn
Vince Hawthorn
quotePosted at 21:34 on 8th April 2015
  The sun would have been more or less on my back where I was stood, just offset maybe over my right shoulder. I did find in other places that I could get good results with water reflection, one position it was running water with some surface bubbling and looking into the sun and turn the polariser and all I saw was all the stream bed- no surface interuption at all. Could not get a shot though as it was almost looking through a hedge so too much junk in the foreground.
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 21:39 on 8th April 2015
As we confirmed earlier in the thread the OPTIMUM performance is with the sun at right angles to the filter, ie coming in from right or left shoulder but of course this is not always possible, but this certainly a great effort for a 1st use. Well done mate. Needless to say but presume you did have the lens hood on as this is also vital to best performance as it is with just a bare lens anyway
Vince Hawthorn
Vince Hawthorn
quotePosted at 21:41 on 8th April 2015
 As far as I can see you can put the lens hood on but then can't get at the ring to turn the polariser ???
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 21:46 on 8th April 2015
With the serrated edge to the filter I can always manage it with finger tip and nail, but it is only takes a second to refit the lens hood after selecting the desired effect. But I would certainly suggest you try it. The only time I don't use a hood is if I have close up lenses or extension tubes fitted and the front element of the lens is very close to the subject which would cause shadows from the hood. As I said to Ruth previously they are made for a purpose.
Vince Hawthorn
Vince Hawthorn
quotePosted at 21:56 on 8th April 2015
  Will be working on that.
rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 14:16 on 9th April 2015
The difference is quite noticeable straight away Vince, the water certainly looks much better with the filter on. I haven't got my lens hood yet, I'm waiting for the postman again, so I haven't yet had to try and get it on and off. Daves words "finger tip and nail" are quite worrying, maybe I'm going to have to let one nail grow a bit Smile
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 19:14 on 9th April 2015
Lot easier than it sounds and I have quite chubby digits and I bite my nails, even at my age, but it works for me. Might also depend on how easily the polarised element rotates!! Even easier if you have a rubber collapsible hood. Where you able to order the correct Nikon equivalent for your lens??