Falmouth

a Seaside Town in the county of Cornwall

Bedruthan Steps, St Eval, Cornwall

St Eval

in the county of Cornwall

Ancient Church in Ipswich Town Centre

Ipswich

in the county of Suffolk

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Polarising Filters ?

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 16:50 on 7th April 2015

I've tried my polarising filter today, but I've not looked at the photos yet. One thing I did do and I don't know if I should have or not, I put it on top of the UV lens which is on there all the time. 

I've looked at a couple of Lowepro slings bags on Amazon Dave, they are looking favourite at the moment, but I shall have a better look tomorrow. 

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 16:58 on 7th April 2015

Using 2 filters shouldn't really cause any problems other than possible vignetting in the corners, depending on how thick the filters are.

Personally I would take the UV filter off and just just use the Polariser

Another point, did you get a lens hood with the 'kit lens'. I know you will have one with the telezoom as I have the same lens, but lens hoods are vital for avoiding unwanted flare etc, and also additional protection of the front element of the lens, or filter.

rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 17:51 on 7th April 2015

You must be able to read my mind that was my next question and one David brought up today. Yes I did get a hood with the zoom, but not with the kit lens. I spotted a man with the same camera as me today and I noticed he had one on. I looked at the zoom lens one but obviously it wouldn't fit. I thought it might be needed for use in bright sunshine and was about to ask but you beat me too it.

Another item for the shopping list Smile 

Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 18:05 on 7th April 2015
I always use a lens hood at all times. They are made for a purpose which as you say is to exclude extraneous light. Canon and Nikon have odd attitudes to lens hoods, sometimes they come with a lens sometimes you have to buy separately. A simple rubber collapsible one, that screws into the front of the lens, or attached filter, will be quite adequate, thats all I use on my 50mm. But any shop will guide you on that. SRB do lens hoods as do Premier Inks all at reasonable prices. The one with the zoom will not fit the filter thread plus would be much too long for the kit lens and as such your images would suffer from extreme vignetting
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 18:50 on 7th April 2015
Check you handbook and see which lens hood they refer to posibly HB33 or something similar. Then take a look at Premier Inks website as they offer Nikon equivalent lens hoods for around £7.00 whereas the rubber collapsible ones are around £4.00 to £5.00
rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 20:54 on 7th April 2015
Thanks, looking now Smile
Vince Hawthorn
Vince Hawthorn
quotePosted at 22:04 on 7th April 2015
  POSTMAN BEEN TODAY !!!!
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 22:08 on 7th April 2015

So you may well be playing tomorrow then if the weather is Ok

Gonna be an earlyish night for me soon guys.

Back at work tomorrow unfortunately .. after 6 1/2 weeks off!!!   How time flies!!

Vince Hawthorn
Vince Hawthorn
quotePosted at 22:16 on 7th April 2015

That is good from the point of view that you are on the mend but I guess like me you go back to a mess at the best of times- but 6 1/2 weeks worth-- you need that break in Ambleside !!

Wednesday is often full of to do jobs rather that playing with new toys but we shall see if there is a chance.

Best of luck for tomorrow sir. 

Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 22:18 on 7th April 2015

Not even back yet and that 2 1/2 weeks to Ambleside cannot come quick enough

Be interested to see what you think if you get to play with the new toy