Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Penzance

Penzance

a Seaside Town in the county of Cornwall

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Second-hand Camera Gear?

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 08:40 on 9th June 2013

I am a pensioner of limited means, but I also enjoy using good quality kit. The solution for me is to buy my photographic equipment second-hand. The price of DSLR bodies depreciates faster than cars, and a top-of-the-range camera body which came out 5 years ago, can now be bought second-hand for about one fifth of its original price. Good quality lenses do not depreciate so much, but there are still some good second-hand bargains to be had.

There are obviously risks in buying second-hand, and it is safer to buy from a reputable dealer who will give a guarantee, usually 6 months or so on second-hand kit. 

Are there any others who buy second-hand and have views on this? 

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Rod BurkeyPremier Member - Click for more info
Rod Burkey
quotePosted at 10:46 on 9th June 2013

I have bought second hand gear inthe past including a rather battered 85mm F2 nikkor from a pro. It was a superb lens despite having had a hard life "in the field". The focus and aperture rings were firdm and it was a yoy to use, as was a 50mm F1.4 nikkor bought from a shop, and that must have been quite old as it had been converted to A1.

Good advice fro Edward about buying with a guarantee.   

Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 11:36 on 9th June 2013

Interesting what you say, Rod,  about equipment used 'in the field'. It may look battered but it means it has been used regularly and presumably has delivered good results. Some second-hand cameras and lenses look in mint condition but this may mean they have had little use for years, and the moving parts may have become 'sticky' . Certainly 'try before you buy' if possible. A reputable camera dealer will always allow you to test the secondhand lens with your camera body, and vice-versa with your lens, if purchasing a body. 

Karen Lee
Karen Lee
quotePosted at 19:45 on 10th June 2013
I bought a very used canon 2 years ago off ebay, it came with 3 lenses that had been hardly used, 3 spare batteries, bag,cleaning stuff and a set of UV filters at a fraction of the cost of new, it has been a really good buy, it has helped me to get confident in using a DSLR.  My Husband has treated me to a new camera recently as an early birthday present,  I use it all the time now and the lenses fit the new one perfectly, all I have had to buy is a lens hood. I am an advocate for buying used second or even third hand to start with,new equipment is so very expensive if you have limited cash flow. I was lucky to find a good ebay seller who gave me a 3 month guarantee, but if you have found a good dealer then stick with him at least if you have problems or need advice he 's sure to help.   
Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 00:22 on 17th June 2013

It sounds like you bagged a bargain there, Karen, and an excellent way to get started with a DSLR. The fact that the old lenses can be used with your new camera is an added bonus.

Incidentally, there are many second-hand Canon EF lenses around which were made for the Canon Film SLRs, but work fine with the Canon Full-Frame and Crop Sensor DSLRs. The same cannot be said for the older third-party Canon-fit lenses (eg Tamron, Sigma etc) which may not work on the newer Canon DSLRs. Caveat Emptor  applies.

Please login to post to this thread...