Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Rotherham Minster

Rotherham

in the county of South Yorkshire

St Michael's Church

Camden Town

in the county of Greater London

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

To All POE Photographers

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 20:32 on 28th May 2011
To find your grey cells Mick?   LOL Laughing
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 21:10 on 28th May 2011
The name rings a bell Mick, but other than Olympus, possibly importer or main dealer, I cannot bring it to mind. Please confirm or enlighten

quote | editPosted at 21:28 on 28th May 2011
Spot on Dave.  Prior to 1975 Olympus cameras were imported by David Williams Ltd, then Olympus UK Ltd was formed.  I worked for a camera shop and went to D.Williams to collect an urgent camera.  Wish I had a £ for every OM1 sold then, or better still the Trip 35, a real top seller.  Happy days... if you liked Tri-X, D76 and stinking fixer !!
Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 21:39 on 28th May 2011
On 28th May 2011 20:29, Mick Smith wrote:

Dave, a quick question for you, or perhaps anyone with a long memory regarding photography :

Why was it part of my job to visit David Williams Ltd Glasshouse Yard London ?

You have in effect given the answer Dave ! 

I don't know why you visited them bar as perhaps working in the retail trade in cameras; i.e. your own camera shop for example?

David Williams Ltd were the importers/distributors of Olympus cameras until 1975 when Olympus UK was formed.

My first 35mm camera was a Zenith B distributed by Technical and Optical , or something like that. Started shooting weddings with a Rollieflex 3.5E and Sangamo Euro-Master light meter. I guess a few do go back a bit in time Mick, and indeed, used to also drive some of those old buses you've taken pics of on the other site----and was most suprised you've taken the trouble to give them their correct model names; I have enjoyed going through your photos there and reading the Panasonic discusion thread too,especially those members who have been asked to do weddings.

Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 21:39 on 28th May 2011

It certainly rang the bell but I was not sure. Had 2 OM1's,1 chrome, 1 black both with winders,and used Tri-X but dev was Promicrol. you could rate at 1000 asa and get phenominally fine grain for such a fast speed. That combination was used for my motorsport but FP4 in Microphen for anything else. The good old days! ! !. Even now after quite few years in digital I still sometimes think its not real photography, but soon come to my senses. You can do so much more with Photoshop, but wasn't it great watching the image appear in the dish

Just added the 'F' for you Dave.

Edited by: Ron Brind at:28th May 2011 22:07
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 21:43 on 28th May 2011

Mistake in the previous.....instead of HP4 read FP4. HP4 was Ilfir equivalent of Tri-X but i just could not get on with it. Don't know why but we just did not get on together. FP4 on the otherhand fantastic grain structure, really smooth for portraits etc

quote | editPosted at 22:03 on 28th May 2011
Thats strange David.  I could not get on with HP4 so I used Tri-X.  Tri-X in D76 was bomb proof, or idiot proof.  Forget temperature or time, somehow you always got a "reasonable ?" result.  I got on well with FP4. I did once try a Ferrania slide film with their home process kit.  A difficult enough task even if you could control the temp, and I could not.  The colours were truly weird !

quote | editPosted at 22:06 on 28th May 2011
Paul.  The wedding photos.  Are you thinking of the words used by John McEnroe when angry ? !!
Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 22:09 on 28th May 2011

Not in the least Mick; know what they're going through, and they were asking for tips; something I never had the luxury of starting out.

As a overall answer, I would have given would be---the better you are at landscape, fashion, portrait, product, action, low light, flash photography, the better the album will be.

But most importantly, the better you are at capturing emotion, the better it will be too. And concentrate on the bride---and her dress--it's her day and who everyone will be looking at, and also later in the album too. 

Plus, th groom stands on the right of the bride, and there's a good reason for that.  A recent wedding, the vicar was going to have the groom walk down the aisle on the bride's left; I wasn't having that !

Another one last year had snakes---the bride liked them--so that ws something different to deal with. 

Edited by: Paul Hilton at:28th May 2011 22:32
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 22:23 on 28th May 2011

Yeah, D76 so up for abuse it was amazing. You could probably have filled the kitchen sink with it, dropped a few films in, made a cup of whatever, given them a whizz with a wooden spoon and they would have been perfect. But I'm still gonna stand by for Promicrol simply for the film speed bonus. It served me well for many, many years. Got a bulk roll of Ferrania once cos it was cheap, soon went back to the well trusted Ektachrome, nowhere near as iconic as Kodachrome but probably the best equivalent. Can't remember it's proper name but did you ever use Agfa's b/w slide film, very slow if I remember rightly but super film. By hell it's good to remember the good old days. You've made a happy man feel even older.

By the way only my mother calls me David, I hate it, but don't let it worry you, I won't hold it against you. . . . .