Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Oswaldtwistle Leeds/Liverpool Canal

Oswaldtwistle

in the county of Lancashire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Canon EF 50mm f2.5 Macro Lens

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Trevor Sims
Trevor Sims
quotePosted at 18:05 on 24th November 2009

Hi all,

I would like to do some more macro photography but I feel that the kit lens on my Canon EOS 1000D (the IS EF-S 18-55mm) may be out of its depth. I was thinking about buying the Canon EF 50mm f2.5 Macro which appears on the surface to be a good all round lens for general use as well as macro (albeit @ .5x rather than true macro of 1:1).

http://www.jessops.com/online.store/categories/Accessories/Camera%20Accessories/Lenses/products/Canon/EF%2050mm%20f2.5%20Macro-12306/Show.html

What I want to know is whether I am wasting my money because the results will not be dramatically different from the current lens in terms of sharpness and DOF. I have read the sales blurb on it but what I really want is an accurate review by someone who has used it over a period of time and has real hands-on experience.

Has anyone got any experience of this lens and especially whether it is a much better performer than the Canon EOS 1000D kit lens?

Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Trev

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 19:46 on 24th November 2009

Hi Trevor---haven't used this lens myself; do have a Sigma 17-70mm F2.8 on a 30D that has always worked well in its usual range and also macro; A3 prints have been no problem.  You can read more of the 50mm Macro you're asking about here.......

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1029&message=32397659

Edited by: Paul Hilton at:24th November 2009 19:47
Gemm Ferrane
Gemm Ferrane
quotePosted at 19:47 on 24th November 2009

As far as I know, it is a decent lens (although not quite sharp wide open - but sharp above f3.2 or 4 or so).

What you need to ask yourself is whether you need a macro lens or not. If you do, 1:1 lens would obviously be a better choice. If you are loking for a lens for low light shooting or shallow DoF, then f1.4 version would be more suitable (or even f1.8).

Also, if your current lens is USM, then AF may seem terribly slow & noisy. 

Trevor Sims
Trevor Sims
quotePosted at 20:51 on 24th November 2009
Hi Paul—Many thanks for the link. It sparked a lengthy debate back in July 2009 which resulted in the lens getting the thumbs up. I can’t believe that this lens has been in existence since December 1987 and still selling. There can’t be many products that can claim that record.

Hi Gemm—Many thanks for your comments which are all topics highlighted in the forum that Paul pointed me to. If this lens had the 1.1 and USM it would be an ideal general purpose lens (for me anyway). Since starting this thread I have spoken to Jessops who suggest that I take my 1000D body into the shop and test the lens in order to form my own opinion.

Once again, thanks to you both.
Adam Swaine
Adam Swaine
quotePosted at 16:37 on 10th December 2009

Hi trevor.

I have a canon 50mm macro f2.8, its fab,just look at my flower images,i paid £160 s/h from mr favourite shop.appetue photographic in london.go onto there website.

regards adam

Please login to post to this thread...