Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Marlborough, Wiltshire

Marlborough

in the county of Wiltshire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

What is the one thing that is always 'on time' in the UK?

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 08:13 on 2nd January 2013

Answer:

The inflation busting train fare rises that have for the past 10 years been 'on time' . They are a disgrace to this Government, the companies operating the services and contribute nothing to our economy.

The operators have a captive audience, and they know it, so up goes the cost by 4% which is more than inflation! When are they going to realize that the consumer can only make their money go so far? Maybe it needs a few days of disruptive protest, what say you members?

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 18:39 on 2nd January 2013

It seems Oxfordshire commuters are having to pay an increase of some 8% making a Rail Season ticket from Banbury to London way over £5000.00

Phew, how long before they price themselves out of business?

Need to get the thinking cap on for a new and inexpensive mode of transport.

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 18:41 on 2nd January 2013
Best of it is they have said annual increases will continue until way after 2016. In my opinion they are b....y stupid and greedy!
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 19:38 on 2nd January 2013

Trouble is Ron that by and large they have a captive audience. Same as going to the cinema....if you want a drink and popcorn you pay through the nose.....

Has been suggested many times before over similar things, but will probably never happen, it needs EVERYONE who uses the rail for one day to boycott the service.  Can't remember when I last used a train other than on holiday and the preservation steam lines

Sk Lawson
Sk Lawson
quotePosted at 20:41 on 2nd January 2013

Biggest reason you don' t see more people going downtown these days...high cost and lack of safety. Thye raised our rates also recently and the mayor didn't like it...he said...not on the kid's that have to use buses to get to school everyday people. He turned around when they did this and raised their operating fee's with taxes...until they backed off an bit on the fee increases. Schools are already having having budgets problems...not that they always haven't had them...another group doesn't' accept the word "no" sometimes...or understand the money just simply is not there any more like it use to be. Reason why...they moved our jobs out to China...the CEO's of large coporartions...non-working people have no money to support their society...henceforth none to pay higher fee's on anything either. There is no choice but to simply go without.

Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 23:40 on 9th January 2013
I heard a wonderful answer on the radio to the question why is the cost of running the UK rail system higher than anywhere else in Europe? ...the answer was, they do not know ! Excuses were offered such as the cost of maintaining the legacy network - so how come Europe has been able to construct modern rail networks and offer cheaper fares? Ron is right, greed, and reluctance to invest have got us into this mess.

Edited by: Edward Lever at:9th January 2013 23:53
 Please login to post to this thread...