Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Christchurch Priory, Christchurch, Dorset

Christchurch

a Seaside Town in the county of Dorset

Southerndown

Southerndown

in the county of Glamorgan

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Church of England in Crisis!

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 08:06 on 21st November 2012

Just six votes prevented women from becoming Bishop's yesterday, right or wrong and does it really matter?

Some are calling it a missed opportunity, so what does it really mean to the Church of England and besides, what happened to equal rights for women?

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 12:18 on 21st November 2012

I think this question highlights the divisions in the Church of England. There are the Evangelicals and High Church, who generally oppose the principal of women in leadership roles, and the progressives who support women's empowerment. The problem is interpretation of the Bible. My reading of the Bible tells me that women have a role in the Church but not as leaders. Not all would agree, because in the Bible one can always find a Scripture which plays off against another Scripture. Christianity is an Abrahamic Faith, along with Judaism and Islam. These other faiths do not generally allow women in positions of leadership either. When it comes to the Bible, equal rights do not apply.

It certainly matters, because the Church of England is in disarray and as the congregations get smaller and older it may disappear in ten years or so. Generally, women make up the majority of the congregations, so logically women should be allowed more power if the church is to continue, although this goes against the Bible and some men might feel uncomfortable in a woman's church. Sometimes I think it might be easier to join the Amish and live by the Bible, but then I wouldn't be permitted to take photographs !

PS. This has got me thinking about church and the gender mix. Why is church so unappealing to men ? Here is a link to an interesting site which outlines some of the problems in getting more men in  the church. The site is American but equally relevant to England.

http://churchformen.com/

Edited by: Edward Lever at:21st November 2012 15:23
Rod BurkeyPremier Member - Click for more info
Rod Burkey
quotePosted at 00:38 on 22nd November 2012
The Queen is head of the Church, which is a tad ironic given the result precluding women from high office. 
Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 08:56 on 22nd November 2012
I agree, Rod, the decision does not make sense in a secular way. I am not a committed Christian (although I love the surroundings of old churches). I would say I am definitely a doubter on religious matters. But those that object to women priests and bishops take a view which is based on the Bible. Argument with a fundamentalist Christian is largely futile, because their reply is that it says so in the Bible, and is therefore in accordance with the word of God.
Rod BurkeyPremier Member - Click for more info
Rod Burkey
quotePosted at 14:50 on 22nd November 2012

You are right Edward. I suppose if we had moved at the same pace as the Church Of England plus others, we'd still be waiting for the invention of the horseless carriage and electricity. In the end, we have to respect that sometimes things don't change in the way that seems obvious to most of us not directly involved. I've no desire to be too critical of things I probably don't understand too well, or cause offence to those who cannot stand the thought of women rising to the rank of Bishop.  

Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 16:48 on 22nd November 2012
I think that is what dogmatic adherence to an ancient book (the Bible) leads to. You are right about the effect on progress. That's why I made reference to the Amish in my first post. I respect their views, so long as they are not imposed on me, but I wouldn't want to live the lifestyle.

quote | editPosted at 17:48 on 22nd November 2012
Those who said no should have been told there is nothing to worry about.  Bashing the bishop does not mean thumping anyone, male or female.
jc
jc
quotePosted at 13:43 on 24th November 2012

Good Day! Don't know much about this crisis, does effect the church services during (Sunday pray)! It would be disappointment if the services would have been interrupted!!

Julia

Sk Lawson
Sk Lawson
quotePosted at 02:27 on 25th November 2012

I beleive that most of our thoughts about leadership is surrounding the thought that "God" is male...and was kind of enforced strongly during the making of the King James bible...under the "thoughts" of the then rising "Catholic" church doctrine for the most part. Men got their roles as "leaders" from an basically "warrior" type existence through the ages also...stronger physically.  It is an proven factor that how you are raised and what has influenced your thoughts concerning the roles of man and women... is what you adopt what you think as you age also. Many times the science community does not recognize the existence of "God' because they can not logically define him..or her...or "it"... if you would call the combination of both "energies" as one.  Nor have they proven or disaproven that "God" is an another entity living in an different dimension..or "heaven"...least we forget that mankind can't enter it here on earth... in the physical realm. I am not sure the answer to this question...but I've been told before by whom I consider "God"... stop your fretting about things...I'm still in charge and always will be..place your faith in that and me....all the rest will come accordingly...by divine grace. I am sure just as there were women that did good works in the bible..that there are women that do good works today..reguardless of the leadership roles.  The thing here is not man vs female...but rather good strong "guidance" to begin with...to make your own choices in life.  I do think that women work better with the little kids in teaching them...but not always...some men are more compassionate now then in the past also. AS an ancestor said one time..."let your own conscious be your guide" as to what and whom is right or wrong...harm no one. God/creator is an personal expereince and one where your always changing and learning and changing until I feel by the time you get to heaven...you won't have to ask the questions...you'll just "know" inwardly what's correct. Your experinces will teach both sides of the issue...but "the truth" will always stand out. It can not be changed or altered in the eyes of God's truth and benevolence...it's there for eternity.  First came our creator..secondly came mankind followed by woman.  Maybe it's more about the creator... then it is about religion and whose running things...and ritual practices. Go is everywhere..doesn't matter which church being ran by whom. That is one reason why the Catholic Church many years ago made the King James Version of the bible lifting men only up in leadership roles...they could not "control" so well otherwise. At times that does not bother me.. until they mis-use their leadership talents...and victimze more then educate the doctorines of "Creator/God". I suppose though at times even they have to pay homage that mankind is NOT perfect..but only "God'...the creator...an "energy" of souls into one perhaps..that can manfest upon  "personal will".... as needed and wanted by others.

Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 11:45 on 25th November 2012

Some interesting thoughts there 'sk', but I must say my understanding is that the King James Bible is not the Catholic Bible..the King James Bible, or Authorised version, is very much the Bible of the Church of England and of many other Protestant Denominations. The Catholic Bible, as far as I know, includes the Apocryphal Books, which are taken by the Church of England for information but not doctrine.

As to the 'warrior' existence, the Israelites certainly were in warrior mode in Old Testament times, when Jehovah was performing those mighty miracles in defence of the children of Israel.   

I agree with you very much when you say 'let your own conscience be your guide' . Only in that way can you feel right about what you are doing.