Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Fishermans Beach, Hythe, Kent. See my web site for other pictures of Hythe.

Hythe

a Seaside Town in the county of Kent

Fishing / Crab Baskets at Mudeford Quay - March 2009

Mudeford

a Seaside Town in the county of Dorset

Kynance Cove

Kynance Cove

in the county of Cornwall

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Now David Beckham promotes fast food!

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 18:29 on 3rd April 2012

And I say why shouldn't he promote fast food, what's the problem?

We are not forced to eat the food on offer from Burger King and similar outlets, but it has to be said that a lot of people enjoy the food, so why knock the bloke for making a few quid out of it?

Apparently 976 calories in a 'double burger' (whatever that is - I don't eat them) but the likelihood is you wouldn't want any more food for the rest of the day would you, so is 976 calories too much?

Apart from that I am told they offer 'healthy options' like salads etc so once again it's all about the do-gooders who have nothing better to do with their time but to literally stick their noses into other peoples business! To them I say if you don't like what they offer, keep away, and keep your opinion to yourself!

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 09:12 on 4th April 2012

No response! Does that mean you agree with me, or you don't eat the food being promoted?

Is 976 calories a day too much, or not enough?

Does it make a difference for men, women, children?

Rob Faleer
Rob Faleer
quotePosted at 16:01 on 4th April 2012

Speaking as a strict vegetarian (no meat, eggs or dairy), I do find the calorie count of the "double burger," mainly from fat and sugars, to be a bit mind-blowing! But I also have to agree that we all have to make our own choices about what we eat, regardless of slick and too often very misleading marketing of highly processed and fast food.

You makes your choices and you digs your grave!

Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 15:34 on 15th April 2012
A quick web search gives a typical daily requirement of 2500 calories for a man and 1500 calories for a woman, Children need less calories according to their weight. Obviously the more exercise you do will burn up more calories, so the figure required depends very much on activity levels. Walking around Oxford on one of Ron's tours would probably require a Burger King refuelling stop, although it would not be healthy to eat this way every day.
Sk Lawson
Sk Lawson
quotePosted at 18:06 on 15th April 2012

You can eat "Fast Food" Ron if you know HOW to eat it...by that I mean..McDonalds...one small cheeseburger and instead of the fries eat the fresh apple slices instead...orange juice. Taco bell...one "corn shell" taco...and one container of pinto beans.... any salad will do if you supply your own fat free salad dressing. Most of us have "times" when we could use the time saving of not having to cook an meal and the $1 price of some of them makes it an good bargain. Again no more then once or twice an week though. Curves tells me that the diet fads we have going on.. its slowing down our metabolism rates in which we burn fat and caolries...they say to alternate higher calorie foods but low fat ones an couple of weeks between say four weeks of dieting to lose weight better....get in  your excerises. As some counselors say...eat your french fires once in an while if you must...make it an small package..it won't hurt you...but it will if you eat to many constantly. I've always heard women 1200 calories and that's if you young and on the move daily...fellas about 1800 calories...same circumstances. Restrict your liquor, including wine and beer to no more then 200 calories per day.  Think about it ..one week of not drinking, you can eat that "double burger" also....and still lose. Pizza...always get the thin crust type. Most restruants these days are pretty calorie.fat conscious "fast food" places because they get so much "hype" about it anyway. stay away from "wraps" if youcan...stay away from deep fried if you can...stay away from the high calorie "smoothies" made with cream/sugar if you can. As one lady told me if you MUST break the diet, it's easier to burn off sugar then if its "fat" calories.Though they have things these days to burn off the cholestrol also. After you lose weight...it takes one year for your body to shed its "fat cells" ...understand that one year after youl ose your weight you have to maintain it keep from filling up those fat cells again in order for your body to replace them permanetly. that is harder then losing the weight sometimes. If your over 50...Co-Q 10 tablet daily and Vit D tablet daily will help..if your vitaimins don't all ready have it in goodly amounts. Both help to get rid of deposits that make you have stiff joints also.

Peggy Cannell
Peggy Cannell
quotePosted at 20:21 on 15th April 2012
Interesting Rob, I do not eat meat, but yes to eggs and dairy, how else would one get calcium,   better send me a few recipes please
Sk Lawson
Sk Lawson
quotePosted at 00:24 on 16th April 2012

I just saw my deceased borter in-law at the local Safeway Store..going in as I was coming out...and now three times since I've not had things working normally for me. Will be working on the weather back in Missouri here pretty soon.

Ok...Ron I guess I di dnot explain myself very well...did I...so here goes, plus recepies for Peggy. In my above statement...try not ot eat "flour" products. Buying the pintos beans separately at Taco Bell elminates that flour wrap off an bean burito. Same for ordering your taco with "corn shell"...it's actually better for you...and you won't get the cheese sauce of ordering nachos in your taco.

Peggy/Ron...receipes...Banana split....one small banana(split) in an small bowl..top with 1/2 cup of fat free plain Greek yogurt, 1 tsp of seedless raspberry jam, 1/2 cup of Cocoa Puffs Cereal, 1 tsp. of sunflower seeds and one marachino cherry. (weight watchers)

In my estimation they have better ones...like the kabobs...from wayback when....take long wooden toothpicks and add either chunk of green sweet peppers, one chunk of pineapple, and one cherry tomato, around twice over for each toothpick...you can also grill it for on top of meat over an bit of brown rice for lunch....or you can use chunk of green pepper, chunk of pineapple, one purple seedlessgrape...again...do this twice on each long toothpick. I think your allowed to do about three long toothpicks per serving. they can be made ahead if you have dinner guests also. Try them on top of "Ms. Dash" teriyaki sauce swiped small pieces of chicken on top of the rice also...steamed small sweet potato...green salad. 

Angel food cupcakes...3/4 cup of flour, 2/3 cup of confectioner's sugar (powdered), 8 large egg whites, 3/4 teaspoon cream of tartar, 1/2 tsp of salt, 1/2 cup of granulated sugar, 1 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract. heat oven to 350 degrees(med.) line 18 muffin cups with paper liners or foil. Sift flour an confectioner's sugar onto an piece of wax paper. With an electric beater on high speed, beat egg whites cream of tartar and salt in an large bowl until peaks form...gradually beat in grnaulated sugar. Beat in vanilla. Sift half of the flour mixture over the beaten egg and fold in wiht an spatual and repeat with the remaining flour mixture. Spoon batter into muffin cups, almosst filling each, smooth tops with back of spoon..bake until golden and spring back when lightly pressed...14 to 15 minutes. Cool pan 5 minutes and remove cupcakes from pan an cool completely before frosting.

These make vanilla flavored cupcakes, but you might want to play around with this an add banana flavoring, mint flavoring, orange flavoring, or any number of combinations...same for the frosting also, as well as food coloring for special occasions

Frosting...1/2 cup of light corn syrup, 2 tsp powdered egg whites, 2TBsp.water, 1/2 tsp vanilla extract, pinch of salt..with electric beater on high mix, accordingly to listed..until mixutre is thick and fluffy..spread on cooled cupcakes... this is an marshmallow frosting.(WEight Watcher's receipe...1 frosted cupcake equals 75 calories.

Again play around with the colors and the flavorings if you like..rather then adding all of the vanilla if your using other flavorings. Experiment ladies! They say earlier on if you go to an party where regular cake is served...to cut an big piece in an wedge...start at the corner and leave from the middle onward out of your diet.

Peggy I think that "Spinach" is real high in Calcium...I'd have to look that one up again though. But if you wanting the "cream" taste use to be " Baskin and Robbins" sold sugar-free ice cream "hard"candy at the dollar stores. I bought some coffee mocha and Praline (carmel)flavors one time at Christmas there. I like to toss in the coffee flavored for hiking in the morning. Now see my sister would take the above cupcakes and make up some sugar free instant carmel pudding for her desert and drizzle an little chocolate syrup on it. she does it with banana sugar free pudding also...she is an  type 2 diabetic. You could add my suggestion of the fruit kabobs on top of her pudding idea also for an little bit of zip.pow.jazz also. 

Sometimes it's better to eat half an cheap pizza, then one slice of an pizza restruant made pizza also....unless you get the vegan type.Yes, a lot of people these day sare leaving out so much meat in thier diet and leaner cuts also.  This makes for an simple lunch meal, 1/2 cup brown rice, 1 tsp of Soy sauce, 1 cup steamed broccoli. and an small tangerine or orange. Have fun...it's getting that time of the year again with the weather getting better.

Rob Faleer
Rob Faleer
quotePosted at 18:48 on 17th April 2012
On 15th April 2012 20:21, Peggy Cannell wrote:
Interesting Rob, I do not eat meat, but yes to eggs and dairy, how else would one get calcium,   better send me a few recipes please

Peggy: While dairy is a great source for calcium, it is certainly not the only source. Here is a list of other good sources of calcium:

Blackstrap un-sulphured molasses

Tofu (processed w/calcium sulfate)

Calcium-fortified orange juice

Calcium-fortified soy, rice or nut milks

Turnip greens / mustard greens / collard greens, cooked

Tofu, processed with nigari

Kale, cooked

Soy beans (edamame), cooked

Okra, cooked

Bok choy, cooked

Tahini

Broccoli, cooked

Almonds / almond butter

The list goes on. Giving up meat was very easy, but I must say that giving up dairy was much harder. Once I got through the first couple of weeks away from dairy, however, I found that I no longer had any desire for it. I lost some weight when I gave up meat, but three months after giving up dairy, I had lost 22 lbs. (1.57 stone) and my wife had lost 26 lbs. (1.85 stone)--and this was not doing anything different than cutting out dairy, especially cheese.

Another thing that I have noticed is that my growing number of age-related aches and pains (I turn 60 this year) have completely vanished--I have no more aching joints. I also feel better than I have in decades. My elevated blood pressure has moved into the normal range and I am finding a desire to exercise more. Also, I have lost any craving that I might have had for sweets, oddly enough.

Sure, my wife and I have to plan a bit more as far as meals, but with vegetables you can eat as much as you like and not put on the pounds. Meat makes a really easy meal, but with a bit of advanced prep (we cook up large quantities of beans from time to time and freeze them), living a vegetarian / vegan lifestyle is easier than it seems. I don't care for "fake meat" like tempeh or seitan, so instead I substitute grilled or sauteed portabella mushrooms in our vegetable soups, stews and dishes--very satisfying.

Is this lifestyle for everyone? I don't see why not--It has certainly made a huge impact on my life!

James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 19:53 on 17th April 2012
i had chicken for tea to-night --but i must say i prefer something that has looked over a gate.Smile
Rob Faleer
Rob Faleer
quotePosted at 20:17 on 17th April 2012
On 17th April 2012 19:53, james prescott wrote:
i had chicken for tea to-night --but i must say i prefer something that has looked over a gate.Smile

Like something culled out of one of those large roaming herds of beefsteak tomatoes, eh?Wink