Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Photograph of Blyth Harbour, Northumberland

Blyth

in the county of Northumberland

Chilham walk crossing the River Stour (1)

Chilham

a Picturesque Village in the county of Kent

St Andrew's Parish Church, Rugby

Rugby

in the county of Warwickshire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Remembrance - 11.11.11

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 18:43 on 10th November 2011

In Memory of all those who gave their lives, their health or their sanity, at any time, in any war or situation, for the rest of us to be free and safe!  R.I.P.

You are not forgotten!

Edited by: cathyml at:10th November 2011 18:45
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Sk Lawson
Sk Lawson
quotePosted at 19:00 on 10th November 2011
To not forget them also tells us where we might of went wrong the first time around so we can prevent it in the future...I am assume your talknig of 9/11...not 11/11/11. Crystallinks.com has an whole article on the meaning of 11/11/11....tagged as an new beginning spiritually.
James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 19:08 on 10th November 2011
we must never forget
cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 19:35 on 10th November 2011
No Shirley - not 9/11 which was the American twin tower disaster but Remembrance Day 11/11 was the date of Armistice after the 1st World War ended and would probably be more significant in Great Britain and Europe! As far as I know (and I am sure the men will correct me) this date is combined and those who died in the 2nd World War are also remembered!
James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 19:53 on 10th November 2011
i find it rather surprising how many youger people dont wear a poppy,when i was old enough to know what had gone on i started buying one and have done ever since --in fact i may end up buying 3 or 4 in the build up to the actual day.
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 19:55 on 10th November 2011
You are quite right Cathy and it covers all other conflicts as well. Certainly a day not to be forgotten
cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 20:06 on 10th November 2011
I'm not sure where it is happening but I saw they were wearing bracelets with poppies on instead of the red poppy.  I'm not sure how visible they will be, but as long as the money collected goes to the poppy fund I suppose it is a good thing, and the younger people would probably buy them!
Cathy E.
Cathy E.
quotePosted at 13:01 on 11th November 2011

Rememberance Day for Britian,                                                             Veteran's Day in the US.

I am very grateful to all those who serve in any military in the world who fight for our freedom and peace. I pray that they will all return home safely and for those who went before and are passed or scarred in some way I am deeply grateful for them and pray for them and their families to be strong and have peace. 

TedPremier Member - Click for more info
Ted
quotePosted at 14:01 on 11th November 2011

The way how memorial day is celebrated in the UK always deeply impressed me. I watch the Royal British Legion Festival of Remembrance on Saturday and the Remembrance Sunday commemorations on the BBC each year.

Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 14:10 on 11th November 2011

November 11th has always been a very special day to me.

My mother would have been 100 years old today, as she was born 11-11-1911.

My two great-uncles died on the Somme in the first world war. They were brothers. One died in the 1st Battle of the Somme and the other died at the 2nd Battle of the Somme two years later and two mile further down the banks of that sad river. The second uncle took a direct hit, and no remains were left to bury.

My beloved great-uncle (uncle to my mother but same age, and brother to the two who died) died himself on November 10th 1983 after a day spent going door to door selling Rememberance Poppies.