Budle Bay

in the county of Northumberland

This is the Saxon Church in the village of Cockley Cley, Norfolk

Cockley Cley

in the county of Norfolk

The museum at Berkswell, Warwickshire

Berkswell

in the county of West Midlands

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Remembrance - 11.11.11

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Karen Lee
Karen Lee
quotePosted at 20:53 on 13th November 2011

My Son-in-Law has just signed up for the next 5 years in the Army...a brave decision to make with a young family.

We must NEVER forget any of the brave who have died for their country in all conflicts 

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 20:59 on 13th November 2011
when my son left school aged 16 in 1988 he said if he couldnt get a job within 6 months of leaving he would join the army,as luck would have it he got one in 2 months he is still with the same company.
Ruth Gregory
Ruth Gregory
quotePosted at 21:13 on 13th November 2011

With gratitude....

War Memorial
Picture by Ruth Gregory

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 15:31 on 14th November 2011
Apparently sales of poppies were greater than ever, but amazingly there were plenty of people wandering about without one.
cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 16:11 on 14th November 2011
Lovely picture and tribute Ruth.  I am glad to hear that poppy sales were up, they need all the pennies!
James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 17:37 on 14th November 2011
On 14th November 2011 15:31, Ron Brind wrote:
Apparently sales of poppies were greater than ever, but amazingly there were plenty of people wandering about without one.

i noticed that ron i wonder why.??
cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 17:47 on 14th November 2011
Maybe they bought the bracelets with poppies instead, which wouldn't have been anywhere near as noticeable!!
James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 18:03 on 14th November 2011
i dont think so cath --i have noticed the age 40 upwards wearing poppies but not the younger age group 
Rob Faleer
Rob Faleer
quotePosted at 02:17 on 15th November 2011

Speaking of remembrance, I am fortunate to have (and treasure) my grandfather's M1917 Brodie Helmet, which he wore in France and Belgium during the First World War. It has a distinctive bullet crease on one side of the top of the helmet, a near miss that gave my grandfather a headache for the rest of that day!

Here's to you, grandpa--Cpl. Edgar Faleer, 147th Infantry, 37th "Buckeye" Division, American Expeditionary Force; wounded in action at Baccarat (bayonet) in August, 1918 and gassed one week before the Armistice at Ypres, Belgium.

And here's to my Dad--Sgt. Arthur Faleer, Air Transport Command, U.S. Army Air Force (C-46 & C-47 transport aircraft); served from 1943-1944 in Morocco, Algeria and Tunisia.

Also, here's to my late father-in-law R. D. Holton, USN; Gunner's Mate 3rd Class on the destroyer USS Shubrick (DD 639), which saw action in the Atlantic and Mediterranean and was heavily damaged off Sicily in 1943; Gunner's Mate 2nd Class on the aircraft carrier USS Bennington (CV 20), which saw action in the Pacific.

Here's to all veterans everywhere. You have our eternal thanks!

Edited by: Rob Faleer at:15th November 2011 02:19
Andrew Marks
Andrew Marks
quotePosted at 08:34 on 15th November 2011

Well, I suppose I could call myself a veteran except that, in 23 years service in the RAF, I never once went to war. A tribute, I think, to the deterrant of the NATO Alliance and of the sacrifice of the servicemen and woman of 2 world wars and countless small wars.

I missed the Falklands as I was in Germany which was then classed as front-line, and I missed the 1st Gulf War as I was newly promoted and was in England on various courses when my Squadron went to bahrein to carry out missions against Iraq.

I don't make a fuss about remembering but I always do. I wear a small poppy badge all year round and my car also has a poppy sticker. The only charities I contribute to are service charities, especially after the help they gave me when I really needed it.

Now I have made a promise to myself that, should the unthinkable happen and I actually won the lottery, there would be a substantial sum diverting to the RBL, RAFA and SSAFA.

Always remember them, never forget their sacrifice.

Andy

Please login to post to this thread...