Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

The home of the Late George Orwell, author

Southwold

in the county of Suffolk

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Kinda dumb question,,But;;;;

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Debbie Adams
Debbie Adams
quotePosted at 01:16 on 18th April 2009

I know this is kind of a dumb question but it really depends on how much I pack for our trip. Is it easy to find laundry mats? I am just asking because when we went to Ireland we could hardly find them and when we did I think they were called something else???

Thanks!

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 03:57 on 18th April 2009

I could name a few around Oxford, so I don't think you should have too much trouble Debbie.

Let's see what the others (like those actually living there) say.

Debbie Adams
Debbie Adams
quotePosted at 04:35 on 18th April 2009
On 18th April 2009 03:57, Sue wrote:

I could name a few around Oxford, so I don't think you should have too much trouble Debbie.

Let's see what the others (like those actually living there) say.

Thank You Sue,;-)
Xxxx Xxxx
Xxxx Xxxx
quotePosted at 06:04 on 18th April 2009
Write to the Chamber of Commerce~ they have all the business listings.... ~ there was a great Oxfam shop in Oxford.. travel light and get some neat 'new' duds on the road! Always a lovely Harris Tweed to be found...
Stephanie Jackson
Stephanie Jackson
quotePosted at 08:25 on 18th April 2009
Funnily enough Debbie you really don't see many laundrettes about these days - I'll look out though - it's one of those things I suppose you wouldn't notice if you don't need one! There was one in Quarry Bank at one point. I should think some of the hotels would offer a laundry service and if you go self catering most places have a machine in the accommodation.
Debbie Adams
Debbie Adams
quotePosted at 14:53 on 18th April 2009

Thanks Anna ,,lol I am always up for shopping,,lol

Thanks Stephanie,, Thats what I remember them being called know "Laundrettes",,Thanks! lol

Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 14:55 on 18th April 2009
On 18th April 2009 06:04, Anna Hawthorne wrote:
Write to the Chamber of Commerce~ they have all the business listings.... ~ there was a great Oxfam shop in Oxford.. travel light and get some neat 'new' duds on the road! Always a lovely Harris Tweed to be found...

What a GREAT idea, Anna. Oxford (and it's outlying areas) are jam packed full of charity stores, and I have often looked in the window at a dress or jumper/sweater and admired it.

If you 'travel light and get some new duds' then you can donate them to another store as you leave.

Oh, I'm going to seriously consider this, especially now that you have to pay for extra suitcases.

Xxxx Xxxx
Xxxx Xxxx
quotePosted at 16:12 on 18th April 2009
Sue, I still recall a lovely pink wool jacket found in a thrift shop in Bath..but at the end of the holiday, when packing to go on the jet, sometimes these treasures are left behind...as you say, recycled!

Edited by: Anna Hawthorne at:18th April 2009 16:27
nyyank
nyyank
quotePosted at 16:40 on 18th April 2009
Laundramats consume copius amounts of water and discharge dirty water.It is for this reason so few are found anywhere.However, there seems to be some Hotels that do laundry and pressing.I found this in Hotels in Dublin and London.Good luck.
Shirley K. Lawson
Shirley K. Lawson
quotePosted at 18:57 on 18th April 2009

Believe me, it is so much easier while traveling to pack it all in an box and send it home, many fine stores have UPS stations in them these days..It saves you the time in hauling them from one palce to another, and you can add the gifts you might want to buy for an special holiday, and in my case, I was able to post a "delivery date" on it, so I'd be home when it got delivered also, the place I sent  had the boxes and sold them also. You can not imagine how I've done some clothes washing at times in an bathtub in the room itself, It always helps to buy light weight under garmets though...or else plan on tossing them periodically..my thing was gifts..I ran into an 16 mile long worldwide "market" back east one time. Much of it was areas that were one of an kind left over merchandise and experimental products...all new. I bought my neice an doll house, out here would of been $100 and there it was $16 (for Christmas comng), and the furniture was some $8.00 more and here would of been $40...I had that UPS home. a lot of people do that with liquor also, though I don't know if they allow that these days. I would imagine that you could UPS your dirty clothes home also(plastic bags..Bath, Bed and Beyond and Target also sell those type that suck the air out ...not to worry about it if you can't find an laundromat. When you take your clothes take them in "outifts" that layer on each other, one in white and one in black, and maybe one in blue or gray... pants, skirt, blouse, jacket...coupel pairs of blue jeans.. then take the accesories to dress them up in differently. for instance, Bright scarf around the neck on the navy blue skirt and top...jeans with an jacket maybe, gold jewerly with the black for dressy..green jewerly would brighten up the navy blue with the white jacket also. always take an golf sized umberella(separately), an small pocket style also, and an rain top in an big purse. You should be fine. Good walking shoes, good comfortable heels..and leave an bit of room for clothes you might want to buy. Red is an good color for the navy blue,the black, and the white also. Esp in belts, shoes,. jewerly..though the gold is more universal. Sounds like your off an on to an nice vacation here soon. The wildest thing I saw an professional traveler "Packer" do was get an tube like black long strapless tank..and she stretched it over her body and put the black jacket with it for dining out. When she used it as an blouse only, it folded over at the top to made an side shoulder type tube/tank..this tank was subdued sparkling in black sequins...yes, it was an mini skirt kind of... but it fit her to an tee...just barely above her knees. It looked very stylish when she was done. Her necklace helped to draw the eye upwards too...she used simple classic deep red acessories. In her large bag is allowed her to take the pants with her, for the next day, or if she felt she was dressed to fancy. All she had to do was take off the jacket, fold down an wide band at the top. pull the tank over the dress slacks...it wasn't short, it came down in length to the tops of her legs. The jacket was sinply styled also, and gave ti an layered look, depending on how far she pulled the tanktube down. anyway, Ilike looking at fashions as you can see..have an good trip.