'; ?>
Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

The rolling hills of Devon!

Galmpton

in the county of Devon

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

A recipe worth sharing

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Ruth Gregory
Ruth Gregory
quotePosted at 04:23 on 28th May 2008

OK, OK, I got caster sugar, clotted cream and sultanas from Wikipedia, but I don't have a scale to measure dry ingredients.  Any chance you could give those measurements in cups, half cups or quarter cups, Peter?  I'd appreciate it!! 

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
L
L
quotePosted at 08:14 on 28th May 2008
I'd appreciate Peter just putting weights in ENGLISH and not in gramms lol I work with grammes but they mean nothing to me, bit like metres and mm, I cant judge it! Give us llb oz Peter please? I dont know about anyone else but I dont use cups here Ruth and if you want to measure it out that way then you will have a mighty big proportion of ingredients if its in mugs LOL
Peter Evans
Peter Evans
quotePosted at 11:32 on 28th May 2008
Hey, Iv'e spent years trying to get the hang of metric, now you want me to go back? I just use scales now. As cups are all different sizes, it makes it easier for me. So, I am sorry, I cant help with conversions now. But there are charts that can do it for you. Sorry!!!
Ruth Gregory
Ruth Gregory
quotePosted at 04:09 on 29th May 2008

OK, Peter.  I guess I'm stuck with mine, but I wanted a real, authentic recipe from a real, authentic Welshman.  At least everybody else here can use Peter's.  Mugs, Lyn?  Do you mean the drinking vessels that Hyacinth BOO-KAY calls beakers lol?

Welsh Cookies (I think Hyacinth would call them biscuits)  Smile

2 eggs, 1/4 c. milk, 1 t. vanilla, 4 c. flour, 1 1/2 c. sugar, 1 t. salt, 3 t. baking powder, 1 t. nutmeg, 1 1/2 c. shortening, 1 c. currants.

Soak currants a few minutes in hot water, drain well.  Beat eggs, add milk and vanilla.  In separate bowl, mix dry ingredients and cut in shortening. Add currants then slowly add the milk-egg mixture, kneading until mixture forms a dough.  Roll out dough to 1/4" thickness on lightly floured surface.  Cut into rounds with 2 1/2 inch cookie cutter or use a drinking glass.  Bake rounds on ungreased griddle or large skillet a couple of minutes, until lightly brown.  Flip and cook on other side until brown.  Cool on wax paper.

L
L
quotePosted at 08:52 on 29th May 2008
Does the 'c' stand for cup Ruth? (yes a mug to Hyacinth is a beaker LOL) and what does the 't' stand for? teaspoon? We dont use those measurements here and i'm not familiar with them sorry lol
Peter Evans
Peter Evans
quotePosted at 11:38 on 29th May 2008
I think it comes down to " two great nations separated by a common language".
Ruth Gregory
Ruth Gregory
quotePosted at 03:56 on 30th May 2008

That's cute, Peter.  We'll have to do something about that won't we?

Luv your new picture Lyn.  Yes, c. means cup (8 oz. liquid).  Lower case t. in a recipe means teaspoon and upper case T mean tablespoon.

And I still want authentic Welsh cookies, so I just might have to go out and buy me a scale.

L
L
quotePosted at 08:17 on 30th May 2008
On 30th May 2008 03:56, Ruth Gregory wrote:

Luv your new picture Lyn. Yes, c. means cup (8 oz. liquid). Lower case t. in a recipe means teaspoon and upper case T mean tablespoon.

And I still want authentic Welsh cookies, so I just might have to go out and buy me a scale.

Thanks Ruth, and it's a 'set of scales' not scale lol Wink you can get them as cheap as a fiver (£5) over here... $2.50 in your money I think.
Ruth Gregory
Ruth Gregory
quotePosted at 18:01 on 30th May 2008

Oops, sorry.  I know a lot of people who count calories by using portion control use scales to weigh food, but I'm not one of them (tho I probably should be).  Frown

As for the currency exchange, you got it backwards, Lyn.  £5 costs $10.  It's about $2 a lb. now.  That's why it may be a while before I get to visit England again.  Cry

L
L
quotePosted at 08:29 on 25th August 2008

Bedfordshire Spare Ribs

2½ lbs (1¼ kg) meaty pork spare ribs
1 finely chopped onion
Juice of a lemon
1 teaspoon ginger
4 tablespoons vinegar
2 tablespoons brown sugar, rounded
6 tablespoons tomato ketchup
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 dessertspoons French mustard
Pinch of celery salt
Salt and pepper
4 tablespoons water

This is unceremonious, wholesome nosh: simply mix all the ingredients together, put it in the oven to cook slowly for a couple of hours, throw in a few jacket potatoes half-way through.

Put the spare ribs in a roasting tin and roast off fat for 30 mins on a medium heat. Meanwhile, fry the onion, then assemble all the other ingredients. Pour fat out of roasting tin and combine the ribs with the mixture. 

Cook at gas mark 4/350F/180C for two hours, turning occasionally