Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Picture of Caldugate in Carlisle during the flood of Jan 2005

Carlisle

in the county of Cumbria

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Carbon Monoxide !!!!!!!!!!

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Vince Hawthorn
Vince Hawthorn
quotePosted at 21:17 on 25th November 2013

Right all you lot, attention please !!    Hands up all of you with a carbon monoxide sensor in your home, ok that is all right -- but what about all of you with your hands down by your sides ??? Time I think to go out tomorrow and get yourselves one straight away.  Why am I batting on like this? Well last night just as we were about to have our meal- the noise from the kitchen was that of our sensor doing it's head in- oh dear ! Shut down boiler, open window, phone the gas folk- eat cold diner. Hour and half later gas board chappie arrives and after a few checks meter isolated and boiler out of action. Contract engineer comes this morning ( time out of work to see what is happening ) and lots more checks of boiler this time and then -- cut off and shut down again so no boiler again tonight and wait for tomorrow for an engineer again armed with a seal to hopefully fix the problem ( or maybe not and dig deep in the pocket for a new boiler ). OK all very inconvenient and chilly but consider the alternative, might not be typing this little monologue at this moment in time if that little box on the wall that flashes every few minutes that only costs twenty odd pounds was not there.

You probably have ( or should have ) a smoke alarm, so why not a Carbon Monoxide alarm sensor---   go get one soon as you can ! 

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 21:38 on 25th November 2013

Our house is built on four floors Vince, the only exits are on the ground floor and the first floor, which leaves the floors with the bedrooms quite vulnerable, (we are also built on a steep valley side, so floor 4 is way up there) the smoke detectors were fitted free by the fire service who came and gave our house a free check. They fitted 6 of them.

We also have 3 Carbon Monoxide detectors fitted, one on the ground floor where the kitchen, dining room, workshop and gas boiler are situated. One on the first floor near to a new log effect gas stove in the Lounge, and one on the ceiling between floors 3 and 4, I'm hoping we are covered. 

We knew the house was vulnerable being built in 1886 so we fitted things to make it as safe as possible. 

Vince Hawthorn
Vince Hawthorn
quotePosted at 21:44 on 25th November 2013
  Good to hear that you are well sorted Ruth but to hear some of the stories from the engineer today makes you wonder. One story was he asked one customer if he had a carbon monoxide alarm, the reply -- --,   " Nah , I aint got one- did you know my mother died from carbon monoxid poisoning? ".    Certainly makes one think does it not.
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 22:08 on 25th November 2013
Must get one Vince and been going to do it for a long time now, but hey this is the kick up the backside that I needed I guess. Thank you!
Vince Hawthorn
Vince Hawthorn
quotePosted at 22:14 on 25th November 2013
 Good for you Ron, made me think and thought the good folk on POE should have that gentle reminder.
Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 23:48 on 25th November 2013

Yes, Carbon Monoxide is a killer, and being an odourless and colourless gas, it is especially dangerous. As Vince says, a Carbon Monoxide detector is a life-saver. Unfortunately, modern condensing boilers have so many things that can go wrong with them to produce Carbon Monoxide. The old balanced flue boilers were a lot simpler, not requiring fan assistance, and if the flame was burning blue, things were generally OK. Unfortunately,  you are lucky to get 5 years life out of a modern boiler, the old ones often went on for 30 years or more with minimal attention. I believe it was all John Prescott's fault to make condensing boilers compulsory, see this link (Daily Mail) 

Neil Rodgers
Neil Rodgers
quotePosted at 05:32 on 26th November 2013

Hi Vince

We have smoke detectors fitted in the apartment everything is on one level I don't know if they detect carbon monoxide or not but then again we have no gas appliances.

The sensors that we have seem very sensitive they go of quite regularly when things get a bit steamy in the apartment. 

Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 08:07 on 26th November 2013
On 26th November 2013 05:32, Neil Rodgers wrote:

Hi Vince

We have smoke detectors fitted in the apartment everything is on one level I don't know if they detect carbon monoxide or not but then again we have no gas appliances.

When considering Carbon Monoxide hazards, it is worth remembering  that this lethal gas can be produced in many different ways, not just from gas appliances. Any incomplete combustion of a carbon-based fuel will generate Carbon Monoxide e.g. the incomplete burning of wood, coal, coke, charcoal, waste paper, oil, petrol, diesel, general organic waste etc will all generate Carbon Monoxide. A slow-burning charcoal barbeque, for example, will often  produce large amounts of Carbon Monoxide.

Another factor which seems not to be well-known is that Carbon Monoxide will pass through red-hot iron. This could happen with an old-fashioned free standing iron stove which is fuelled with wood or coke. If the body of the stove gets very hot, Carbon Monoxide will pass through the iron.

It all reinforces Vince's advice to get a Carbon Monoxide alarm for your home and a portable one too for vacations. 

Edited by: Edward Lever at:26th November 2013 08:14
Neil Rodgers
Neil Rodgers
quotePosted at 17:43 on 26th November 2013
Thanks for that Edward I will check out the installation of the existing detectors
rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 17:58 on 26th November 2013

Remember the campers, was it last year or the year before ? They took a still smouldering portable barbecue into their tent with them and died in the night of the carbon monoxide fumes given off from the BBQ. 

The exact same thing happened again only a couple of weeks later at a different location.