Mildenhall

in the county of Suffolk

Hoddesdon, Hertfordshire

Hoddesdon

in the county of Hertfordshire

Berkhamsted Castle

Berkhamsted

in the county of Hertfordshire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Sir David Frost

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

quote | editPosted at 22:02 on 1st September 2013

Members are no doubt aware of the death of Sir David Frost.

His death, clearly a tragedy for his family and friends, also means that television broadcasting has lost yet another giant from the days of quality output.

He was witty, entertaining and perhaps one of the greatest ever interviewers.  What a difference to the limp wristed "celeb presenters" of today.  He was able to interview people who would have been regarded as having real position and strength,  "hard" people compared with the twits who fill our screens today.

Television is dumbed down today, our national hero is the winner of Big Brother,  "news" is a chav celeb falling out of a nightclub,  Westminster - lets not bother.

David Frost represented an era, now sadly closed, in more ways than one.

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 22:06 on 1st September 2013
Yes, I agree totally Mick. Thank you for starting this thread.
James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 22:15 on 1st September 2013
Yes for me David Frost was miles in front of anyone else you can tell by the type of people he interviewed -i think only Michael Parkinson comes a close second.
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 22:23 on 1st September 2013
Spot on Mick, a legend in his own lifetime, probably only Parkinson left now of that sort of quality presenter and interviewer.
Colleen Warne
Colleen Warne
quotePosted at 22:40 on 1st September 2013
Yes David Frost will be greatly missed he was a true English Gentleman reading where he never said anything bad about anybody. His interview with Nixon was famous although never watched it. It always seemed so together and straight but he got to the heart of the matter. Another one getting up in age is John Simpson
Neil Rodgers
Neil Rodgers
quotePosted at 23:27 on 1st September 2013
Sadly missed a great presenter
Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 00:26 on 2nd September 2013

And a comedian to boot.

We've lost a multi-talented gentleman. 

Colleen Warne
Colleen Warne
quotePosted at 01:48 on 2nd September 2013
Yes he had a real dry sense of humour! He joined Al Jazeera TV about six years ago and did an interview show I used to watch
Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 09:42 on 2nd September 2013

It was indeed saddening to learn yesterday of Sir David's passing aboard the Queen Elizabeth that had left Southampton the day before.

As for comedy and satire in the '60s on TV, other Cambridge graduates that had their early TV years working with him would later have their own TV series, Monty Python's Flying Circus.

His sister-in-law, Marsha Fitzalan, is an actress and appeared in an early Midsomer Murders episode, Judgement Day, as the wife of a vet having an affair with Orlando Bloom before he meets a sticky end. She is the daughter of the 17th Duke of Norfolk and her brother is the current Duke of Norfolk. 

I got his autograph one day in London passing by where he lived in Kensington in the 70s as he got out of his Rolls Royce, said hello to him, and stopped for a very brief chat.  

Edited by: Paul Hilton at:2nd September 2013 09:51
Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 01:00 on 7th September 2013

Yes, David Frost was a man of many talents and deserved his celebrity status and rewards. I am old enough to remember watching 'That Was the Week That Was' in an era when the BBC put out genuinely creative programmes.

Now the BBC has sunk to becoming a parasitic self-rewarding organisation, gorging on the license fees extracted from the public on threat of imprisonment. In fact, non payment of  the TV licence is the top crime in the magistrate's court See Telegraph Article on License Fees 

Please login to post to this thread...