Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Tutbury, Staffordshire: Tutbury Church

Tutbury

in the county of Staffordshire

Southerndown

Southerndown

in the county of Glamorgan

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Quick Question - Quarries?

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**
< Prev 1 2 3 4

Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 07:33 on 20th August 2013

Hi Ruth; nice to see you here again too; and Sue too of course.

York Minster, which seems to have been re-built countless times, was built as we see it now from magnesian limestone quarried from Tadcaster. This stone was formed during a drying up of an inland sea with other deposits added over it during the Permian Period. The stone from the south in the other cathedrals being formed during the Jurassic Period which Dorset's unique coastline is noted from. Thus cathedrals are revealing a bit of the geology of England after the last ice age as it broke off from Continental Europe ( the River Thames once ran into the Danube in Germany) as glaciers retreated and various deposits were being formed.

Dorset's famed arch, Durdle Door will one day have the centre of the arch collapse and become two stacks instead like examples of stacks along our coast that began as arches as well.

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 00:50 on 24th August 2013
On 19th August 2013 00:52, Paul Hilton wrote:

..In West Wycombe, a former chalk quarry was used by the nortorious Hell Fire Club run by Francis Dashwood. One of his occasional visitors and friend was Post Master General, Benjamin Franklin, and I doubt US school text books will inform students of their antics down the caves west of High Wycombe, Bucks. 

I believe Francis Dashwood had the chalk quarried to provide paid work for local men, at a time when unemployment in the area was high. The stone was used to build the straight road linking West Wycombe with High Wycombe, and the caves were used for the antics you allude to. In modern parlance, Dashwood was a 'party animal'.  
Andy Dodds
Andy Dodds
quotePosted at 14:54 on 28th October 2013
lookin at the pictures theres crags just outside sheffield which look quite similar to that and im sure ive seen them in derbyshire aswell
 Please login to post to this thread...
< Prev 1 2 3 4