Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

The Brewery in Tadcaster, North Yorkshire

Tadcaster

in the county of North Yorkshire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Does anyone ever actually meet?

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Andrew Marks
Andrew Marks
quotePosted at 08:10 on 16th May 2011

I just wondered if anyone on here actually arranged to meet. Maybe for a photographic outing, a coffee or just a chat.

It would be quite marvelous to actually have a day at somewhere interesting and share the enjoyment of taking pictures with like-minded people.

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 08:13 on 16th May 2011
What a lovely idea Andrew.  Lets see what our English resident photographers think of it!
Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 09:46 on 16th May 2011

To answer Andrew's question in a word---yes. I've met at least 6 Poe members and I think we had an enjoyable time together visiting here and there. Also, a few other members of other forums too.

Meeting online people isn't without risks of course, but I guess I've been lucky, and as a result, have met some very nice people I otherwise never would have done. Smile

Andrew Marks
Andrew Marks
quotePosted at 10:09 on 16th May 2011

Well, yes, meeting people you only speak to online can be difficult. But the people on here share a passion for photography and that surely is a good reason to meet.

And I have met some fantastic folk online. I see no reason to think the people here would be different. I wondered if there was a "Meeting" forum which could be used to arrange meets etc.

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 11:49 on 16th May 2011
On 16th May 2011 09:46, Paul Hilton wrote:

To answer Andrew's question in a word---yes. I've met at least 6 Poe members and I think we had an enjoyable time together visiting here and there. Also, a few other members of other forums too.

Meeting online people isn't without risks of course, but I guess I've been lucky, and as a result, have met some very nice people I otherwise never would have done. Smile

You're right Paul we did have an enjoyable time (not that I will tell) lol meeting various people, I think as a direct result of this website.

It really is a website like no other in that respect, but to answer the question, I also think it's fair to say that one of the meetings came about Andrew because Wheatley, Oxford is the former home of a member who recognized a location or two on the site and really couldn't believe her luck. (To think that POE HQ is just down the road from where I lived for many years, is pretty well what this lovely lady said).

Okay, I've spent many hours trying to keep her away since, boarding the place up, barbed wire fence etc ...you know what I mean? LOL...

But then conversations in the forum allowed things to develop further. It was clear that we had many nice people talking about their own situations, who found comfort with one another, and realised that there might be a new life out there. I suppose you could say that members of the POE family were showing that they really did care about each other. That caring continues and it would be nice to think that others were able to share their photographic ability for example, so may I remind members that you can contact each other securely via the POE Contact facility which can be found in your Membership Profile.

Finally Andrew, if you feel like starting a new thread called 'POE Members Meeting' for example it would be interesting to see what support it gets, bearing in mind that generally speaking those who want to meet here, are in other parts of the world, and those who are already here probably won't anyway! Great idea, we shall see what happens.

Edited by: Ron Brind at:16th May 2011 11:51
Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 11:57 on 16th May 2011

You can always pm me if you wanted to say, meet up for some aviation photos down in Kent. Andrew.  Would also give you the opportunity to try out some Nikon pro lenses on your D200 or bring a couple of spare CF cards and shoot a few pics with a D3/D300 and see how they compare.

The D3 with 14-24mm F2.8 would be great for aircraft interiors. 

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 12:00 on 16th May 2011
Fantastic Paul....well done mate!
Andrew Marks
Andrew Marks
quotePosted at 12:14 on 16th May 2011

Wow! What a response!

Well, Ron, I will do as you suggest later on this evening and raise a POE Members Meet thread. I shall have to think how to word it so nobody thinks I'm trying to solicit something else!!

Paul, that would be good. I am hoping, now I'm back in work, to be able to upgrade to a D300s in the nearfuture. Depending on what plans the boss has of course! Maybe meet at the Combined Ops show at Headcorn in August?

Oh, and while I'm on, thank you to all the people who have put comments on my pictures. Much appreciated!!

Cathy E.
Cathy E.
quotePosted at 13:27 on 16th May 2011

Hi Andrew, welcome to POE. I have met a few members from POE. Traveled from the East coast of the States to do so. And I was lucky enough to find the love of my life!  

I think after joining in on the forums quite often and getting to know people there first can give you some idea of what they are like. I think you will find that POE is a huge family with lots of interesting and lovely people who truly care about each other. I think you will find Paul Hilton to be the most knowledgeable and willing to help. He is a very kind soul! Smile 

Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 16:20 on 16th May 2011

Indeed, I am one of those whose met in person, and talked on the phone to members here on the forum. 

I had the most marvelouse lunch with our Ron, his beautiful wife Anna and Chris, Sarah and the children. What a great experience that was. And Ron, you know its too late now, I know where you live, and no amount of barbed wire will keep me out.

I've also spent a most wonderful day travelling around the countryside with another member (will mention names only with permisssion), visitng, taking photos, enjoying a meal in one of the oldest pubs in England.

I would dearly love to meet several more from this forum, in England, USA and South Africa.