Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

The Fish Inn

Buttermere

in the county of Cumbria

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Historic England Location game

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Jonathan Gibbs
Jonathan Gibbs
quotePosted at 02:48 on 13th July 2010

Hi,

I've recently been searching through all of england's cities, towns and villages that it has to offer and it is amazing how many great places you rearly hear of on the tourist websites that are filled with history and beautiful locations. 

As if would take a long time to search through all the towns (i've looked through most of them and still going) I would like to see if people could name a place and list 3 things that make the place special to you or a good historical to visit that some people might not of heard of. (In the future I would like to create a website that lists all the places of england and what historical sites they all have, on a site that is easy to navigat. I'd probably start with anything before 1700 as the amount of locations goes up alot after that and would take a while). 

Anyway, even though most people would've already heard of this place i'll just start with Tewkesbury to give people an idea. 

Tewkesbury-

County- Gloucestershire Founded- around the 7th century

1. One of the only surviving row of medieval terraced houses/cottages/shops surviving in England named the Abbey cottages located on church st. The oldest pulbic house in Gloucestershire can also be found here named the 'Black Bear' built around 1308.

2. The War of the roses, Battle of Tewkesbury took place here on May 4th 1471 resulting in a victory to the Yorkist.

3. The Tewkesbury abbey is one of the finest and surviving examples of abbeys left in England. Built mainly between 1092- 1102 the abbey was one of the only few saved from the Dissolution of the Monasteries by Henry VIII.

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 06:55 on 13th July 2010

Chiddingstone

County - Kent

1.  Chiddingstone has been described as "the most perfect surviving example of a Tudor village in Kent" and the whole village (excluding the church and castle) is owned by the National Trust.  Nearby attractions are Penshurst Place & Gardens, Hever Castle, Churchill's home Chartwell & Groombridge Place Gardens & the Enchanted Forest.

2.  Chiddingsone Castle was originally built in the 1500's as a manor house and has undergone numerous changes since then.  It now houses a fine collection of Japanese & Egyptian artifacts and has Buddhist & Stuart/Jacobean collections.  There are plans to develop the 35 acres of land surrounding the castle into a Japanese stroll garden.

3.  The Village has been  used as a location in the films - Room with a View, The Wicked Lady, Monty Python's Wind in the Willows, Life of Hogarth & Elizabeth R

Patrick Van Calck
Patrick Van Calck
quotePosted at 07:25 on 13th July 2010

Brilliant thread ! I'm certainly going to follow this one up.

Unfortunately my knowledge of beautiful English villages is limited :(

Jonathan Gibbs
Jonathan Gibbs
quotePosted at 08:28 on 13th July 2010
Good option there Cathyml. A great example of an old tudor village, Pitty it isn't a little bigger. Will defenently have to try and check it out next time i'm in England as Hever castle just down the road looks like a gem of a place.
Jonathan Gibbs
Jonathan Gibbs
quotePosted at 08:54 on 13th July 2010

Okay heres another one, seeing as though I just checked it on Google a little south from Chiddingstone.

Penshurst-

County- Kent

1. Once again a good example of Tudor/ medieval buildings including the post office although some of the others are from the victorian era. The church of St. John the Baptist was appointed by Thomas Becket in 1170.

2. The village is centred around Penshurst Castle/Place originally given to the Sidney family by Edward VI in 1552 but was originally built in 1341. It has some beautifuly designed garden and a fountain The gatehouse is also worth a look.

3. The tv series adventures of Merlin and movie The Other Boleyn Girl were also partly filmed here.

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 11:42 on 13th July 2010
Hi Jonathan. Interesting thread you started here, but why not go to 'User Introductions' and get the POE 'family' welcome that you deserve? Oh, by the way....welcome to POE from Anna and Ron.
Vince Hawthorn
Vince Hawthorn
quotePosted at 23:05 on 13th July 2010

Camborne                   (maybe a little later but still interesting?)

County /Duchy- Cornwall (Kernow)

1.Camborne along with Redruth was at the centre of one of the most industrialised areas of Britain during the 19th century (not how one imagines Cornwall nowadays).Tin and Copper was mined in many areas of Cornwall and Camborne was one of the most productive. Camborne's Dolcoath was the deepest mine in Cornwall, 550 fathoms in depth. Many mining areas in Cornwall now have World Heritage Status.

2. Richard Trevithick in 1801 invented the world's first steam locomotive to use it's own power to move itself and its passengers. He  made this historic journey in Camborne on christmas eve 1801 (the car was born). He made many discoveries and inventions but died a pauper in Dartford Kent. See www.trevithick-society.org.uk

3. On the outskirts of Camborne in the Tuckingmill area a William Bickford in 1831 invented and patented the safety fuse saving many  miners lives for years to come. These few facts are only a fraction of Camborne's legacy to the world and deserve much more recogntiion.

Edited by: Vince Hawthorn at:13th July 2010 23:11
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 07:15 on 14th July 2010

Your avatar didn't appear because you went to sleep Vince! Lol

It will time out after an hour but I will ask Chris and/or Sarah to sort it out for you. Another interesting post though!

Please login to post to this thread...