Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

What can we do to 'change the world'

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**
1 2 3 4 5 Next >

Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 21:23 on 13th September 2008
The politicians - and I'm talking about Gordon Brown - have had their day," he said.

"They've had their chance to do it and look at the mess we're now in."

He explained it was "down to the man in the street, individuals, every single person watching us this morning, to say, 'Well, what did I  do today for Britain? What did I do for people I don't know?'"

I was just reading this from an interview with Noel Edmunds (link here http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7613938.stm ) and it made me wonder what can we do in our own little part of the world to make a difference.

Obviously we can't 'change the world' but we can make a difference in our own sphere, in our own communities or neighbourhoods or even in our own families.

If we are brinning up little children, which of course is very time consuming, we may only be able to make a difference in our family unit, a big difference I may add if we are doing a good job, but for the rest of us, we can do something, albeit a small thing to make a difference in the lives of others.

I think this week I am going to look around and see what I can do to make a difference right here in my little town.

How about you?

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Cathy E.
Cathy E.
quotePosted at 22:20 on 13th September 2008
I can get a divorce and save my daughter from any more unnecessary anxiety and save my sanity! Be kind to every individual that you come across. Even just a smile cam change somebody's day!

quote | editPosted at 22:41 on 13th September 2008
We can all make a difference in our own way. Like Catherine I always try to be pleasant to everyone I meet, and I always smile and say hello to strangers when I am out walking my Jack Russell. I saw an old chap who was carrying a bag of shopping and looked like he was about to keel over. So I stopped the car, asked where he lived and then gave him a lift to his front door. We had a lovely chat along the way. I think most people are only to willing to help each other. My car nearly blew up last month (smoke coming from the bonnet) and chap stopped to help and pushed the car to a safe place. In my new car a few days later I became stranded in the cemetery. I had applied the handbrake too hard as I was on a steep slope and it wouldn't budge. I was stuck there for 25 minutes until at the bottom of the bank a man came by on a bike. I hailed him lol and he trundled up the bank with his bike and rescued me! I have asked complete strangers to take the hub caps off my tyres when I couldn't remove them, to put in some air. Everyone without exception has helped. I have no faith in politicians at all, but every faith in my fellow man and woman. We should all help each other, whether it's big or small. It makes the world such a nicer place to be.
Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 22:59 on 13th September 2008

Oh Catherine, I am feeling your pain.

Sometimes we can't give time, as in volunteer work, but as you said, a smile can make a huge difference.

When I was in my cast I had to wear a skirt (yuk!) I don't feel comfortable in skirts, but I was at the store, and a lady stopped me and said "What a lovely skirt you're wearing", well talk about lift my spirits.

I know we have non-believers here, but nobody can tell me that that lady didn't follow some small whisperings in her heart to stop me and compliment the skirt. It was no coincidence.

I think that if we listen, the good Lord will lead us to the people who need our help, even if it is only a smile

Wolf
Wolf
quotePosted at 01:13 on 14th September 2008
::: BREAKING NEWS :::

In 2009 the government will start killing
all the mentally ill people.

I started crying when I thought of you.
 Run little friend, run!

[]
Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 02:13 on 14th September 2008

Interesting reply Wolf.

Maybe the missing picture would help me understand where this fits into the thread.

Wolf
Wolf
quotePosted at 03:17 on 14th September 2008

I think this week I am going to look around and see what I can do to make a difference right here in my little town.

How about you?

This was my way of making a difference by giving out a warning...... lol Foot in mouthTongue out

Wolf
Wolf
quotePosted at 03:32 on 14th September 2008

Maybe this should be in the prayer thread, but I feel that it also fits in here.

If I am wrong I appologise, please forgive me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJoFJ13HHdo

Judy Carol
Judy Carol
quotePosted at 04:09 on 14th September 2008

Thanks for the youtube site Wolf. Here is a little story that might help us realize that random acts of kindness don't have to be very big and grand. Some of the smallest are the biggest.

A woman was trying to teach her children about ramdom acts of kindness and she put her children into the car and was hoping to see someone or something that would help her show them about being kind to others. On the way down the street she saw a man begging beside the road. She didn't want to give him money so she drove through a mcDonalds and bought the man a burger, fries, and a coke and drove back by the man. When she was even with him, she slowed and handed the meal to the man who thanked her over and over. She went down the road to turn around and when she came back by he still had his meal and had not eaten it. She slowed again and asked him if something was wrong and this is what the man told her. "Today is my little girl's birthday and all she has asked for is a McDonal's hamburger. I'm going to take this to my little girl and she will be so thrilled."

Wolf
Wolf
quotePosted at 04:14 on 14th September 2008
Hearwarming story Judy, and Hi to you.Smile
1 2 3 4 5 Next >