Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Salthouse Church 2002

Salthouse

a Seaside Town in the county of Norfolk

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Questions for non-Brits.

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 21 Next >

quote | editPosted at 19:56 on 30th May 2008

I was just wondering what folk from outside the UK associate with England?, I mean what do you think of when you think of England?

Also, if coming to the UK for a holiday what kind of thing (or things) are you looking for?

And one last question, for now anyway, what do you feel is lacking in England?

Actually it would be interesting to read replies from folk living here too not just non-Brits.

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Ruth Gregory
Ruth Gregory
quotePosted at 20:50 on 30th May 2008

Good questions, Frank.  I give them a stab.

I've wanted to go to England since the Beatles first stepped off the plane in 1964, when I was a young lass of 8.  That was the beginning of what's referred to here as the "British Invasion."  The Rock n Roll connection between the 2 countries is, of course, very strong as we all know.  When I think of England, I think of history, and now, thanks to this lovely website, scenery as well.  It's breathtaking!  I also had no idea of the diversity from county to county and region to region.  Probably because the country isn't really too much bigger than some of our western states.

When we come to the UK, we love history and scenery, so it's right up our alley.  We also like to talk to the people who live there, not just tour guides.  But I'll probably never visit England without making a side trip to Ireland or vice-versa. I have a couple of shots of Ireland on POE, and am waiting for approval on a few more. The British Isles have pretty much spoiled me from wanting to go anywhere else.  I can't wait to come back.

My impression of Yorkshire, before I ever looked into it, was from the Dickens novels, a place where the orphans from London in those days were shipped, to be, for lack of a better word, slaves.  My impression now is that I'd move there in a heartbeat if I could.

What is lacking in England?   Hmmm.  Since I have so little experience there, I'd have to think about that one for a while.  For now, I think I prefer to be blissfully ignorant. Smile

Andy Edwards
Andy Edwards
quotePosted at 21:00 on 30th May 2008

English people Frank, it's too much of a hotch potch here now. Go abroad and flaunt the law in another country and say goodbye to your freedom. We offer the exact opposite here.....we'll even make a very generous donation of a house, dole money, we'll give you a grant to build the religious building of your choice etc etc etc.  I travel all over this country that was once ours and it amazes me.......I sometimes forget where I am in the world. The skylines are beginning to look like Middle East cities, the shops are owned by names I can't begin to pronounce and we're becoming the 'ethnic minority'. Not a million years ago a Chinese takeaway was the only place you'd see an exotic face, now they serve us fish and chips, that well known British institution. So Frank, English people and English traditions are what's lacking in our country. Andy.

Ruth Gregory
Ruth Gregory
quotePosted at 21:11 on 30th May 2008
I took a picture of a Chinese takeaway sign in Harrogate because it reminded me of Hyacinth BOO-KAY.
L
L
quotePosted at 21:20 on 30th May 2008
Well said Andy! but I must add one more point...us English aren't allowed to be English anymore, we can't even fly the flag of St George in case it offends other nationalities!!  England is still that  'green and pleasant land'.....well green maybe but pleasant?? ... depends where you are really.
Ruth Gregory
Ruth Gregory
quotePosted at 21:34 on 30th May 2008
You guys are taking away my blissful ignorance! Innocent
Denzil Tregallion
Denzil Tregallion
quotePosted at 21:37 on 30th May 2008
Dont worry Ruth as Lyn said England is still green and pleasant it is in Cornwall
Ruth Gregory
Ruth Gregory
quotePosted at 21:43 on 30th May 2008
THANK YOU, DENZIL!!! Kiss
Ruth Gregory
Ruth Gregory
quotePosted at 22:03 on 30th May 2008
Frank, when Sue H. gets back from vacation, she'll be a good one to answer some of your questions.  I'd be especially interested in hearing from somebody who's actually lived in both countries.
L
L
quotePosted at 22:30 on 30th May 2008
It's definitely green here after all the rain we've had!
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 21 Next >